Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:51 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,968 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask what the illegal immigration scene was like in your communities (how much of a presence illegals have), and how they have positively or negatively affected your views of illegal immigration. How have you seen your community change from this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I wanted to ask what the illegal immigration scene was like in your communities (how much of a presence illegals have), and how they have positively or negatively affected your views of illegal immigration. How have you seen your community change from this?
illegals have a massive presence here in metro DC. In the last couple of years my view of illegal immigration has changed from positive to negative. The reason at first was the language barrier which had a major impact on me b/c i worked in a store and getting asked 5 times a day during a 4 hr shift "do someone speak a the spainsh?" frustrated the h%*& outta me. Then it was seeing all the crime that was committed by illegals inside the beltway and it is getting to the point where i'm reluctant to leave my car without my anti-theft club on it. I also live a couple of miles from an area which MS-13 activity is common not to mention other gangs filled with illegals. So illeagls have a massive presence here and to say the least i'm trying to leave this area next year.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Here in the Phx area; with the Employer Sanctions Laws, the illegal immigrant menace is declining-------despite that so-called 'mayor' of Phoenix, Phil Gordon bleating like a sheep in indignation.

Here in Scottsdale; the cops are playing 'hard ball' with the illegals (within the law)......the latter are slinking away one and two at a time

Old 04-04-2008, 10:24 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
I live[d] in lower-income majority-hispanic areas in Southern California for the last 5 years. I was left with a very positive impression of my neighbors, though I can't say how many of them were illegal immigrants.

It sometimes took a little longer to communicate when I went into a spanish-language grocery or butcher shop, however the prices on meat and veggies from the hispanic-owned groceries couldn't be beat and the staff were always helpful and courteous. There was never a time when we couldn't find at least one person to translate so I could do my shopping.

My neighbors often had lively parties with multiple families coming over and spilling out into the street. I was even invited to a few, and had a great time every time. I was really impressed with the sense of family and community that my neighbors had. Since I usually moved on after 6 months to a year, I noticed that all the majority-hispanic areas shared this sense of community that seemed to be lacking in the majority-asian or majority-white areas.

Being urban and low-income, there were some problems with gangs, thefts, and violence, but no more so than any other urban area I've lived in. My roommate did get robbed and stabbed, but it was by a white crackhead.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:50 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I live[d] in lower-income majority-hispanic areas in Southern California for the last 5 years. I was left with a very positive impression of my neighbors, though I can't say how many of them were illegal immigrants.

It sometimes took a little longer to communicate when I went into a spanish-language grocery or butcher shop, however the prices on meat and veggies from the hispanic-owned groceries couldn't be beat and the staff were always helpful and courteous. There was never a time when we couldn't find at least one person to translate so I could do my shopping.

My neighbors often had lively parties with multiple families coming over and spilling out into the street. I was even invited to a few, and had a great time every time. I was really impressed with the sense of family and community that my neighbors had. Since I usually moved on after 6 months to a year, I noticed that all the majority-hispanic areas shared this sense of community that seemed to be lacking in the majority-asian or majority-white areas.

Being urban and low-income, there were some problems with gangs, thefts, and violence, but no more so than any other urban area I've lived in. My roommate did get robbed and stabbed, but it was by a white crackhead.
I live in Southern Arizona and see many, I cannot see where they have caused problems for the community I live in. I have had them come to my door. I asked them if they needed water and if they did, I gave them some.
Some of my neighbors would have them come in to eat and rest.
I had one ask if they could use my phone and I told me that I would be risking it beind illegal, I have since found out via the border patrol that you can make the call for them, you cannot let them make the call from your phone. I have seen no gangs or gang activity.
Sassy

Old 04-04-2008, 12:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,979 times
Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky you, sassyone. I live in Los Angeles in an area dominated by illegals since the '86 "amnesty," '94 earthquake, and L.A.'s status as a so-called sanctuary city changed a diverse locale into one dominated by mean-spirited, lawless illegals. My community has had all aspects of quality of life changed for the worse, along with depression of wages by illegals working under the table, and a prevalence of third world lack of hygiene and lack of home pride becoming the new norm. It is neither a cultural issue nor an economic one, since legal immigrants from all nations appreciate our American laws and ways here: it's just the illegals dominating the demographic now. Gang activity has gone through the roof, resultant with L.A's much-vaunted decrease in crime not making inroads in my area . Here's some more takes besides my own:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/immig...migration.html

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-04-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 01:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,338,020 times
Well NYC is overrun by illegals, not talking about the trendy areas, but NYC is going through a rapid gentrification so eventually the illegals are gonna have to move out

NJ is probably were they are moving to

Cities like JC, Newark, Paterson are now overrun

All of Hudson County NJ is pretty much illegals, and it is bad because they took over some prime real estate along the hudson river

In bergen county towns like Hackensack are turning into a poor desolate mexican village.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
To be fair, the white crackhead could've been an illegal immigrant from Germany, Denmark, or somewhere, as he was never apprehended.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
To be fair, the white crackhead could've been an illegal immigrant from Germany, Denmark, or somewhere, as he was never apprehended.
Or; said 'White' crackhead could have been a White Hispanic---------I have known of a few.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,703,968 times
I want to hear from people who live in a metro area that is NOT dominated by illegals and see if they tend to have more favorable views about them.

I agree, I live in OC California, and we are being bombarded. Its sad. The neighborhood I grew up in was a safe, beautiful neighborhood where we would have weekend block parties in the summer, all the kids were friends, parents kept their homes up nicely. It was a very "Wisteria Lane" kind of place. I drive down that street now, and there are at least 3 mexican flags out front of the houses, there are 7 or 8 cars in the driveways and front lawns on some homes, the landscaping is dead, the houses are run down (and one person even painted their garage door the colors of the mexican flag with that little mexican flag emblem on it). It seriously makes my mom cry to see her old neighborhood in such a state of trash because so much of our lives were vested in that community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration