Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:59 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Asylees are legal immigrants. They can get green cards and eventually become citizens.

https://www.uscis.gov/tools/glossary/asylee

"Asylees are eligible to adjust to lawful permanent resident status after one year of continuous presence in the United States. These immigrants are limited to 10,000 adjustments per fiscal year."

You have to be “physically present in the United States” (or at a U.S. border or point of entry) to apply for asylum. The article explains what a consulate or embassy might be able to do.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...consulate.html

I agree that the odds of anyone in the caravan qualifying for asylum are small.
Ok, so there is a way. Problem is these guys can't be bothered with that. They want in NOW. Doesn't matter how many legal paths you put in front of them. They'll all take time and with success not assured. It's much easier to slip udner the "wall" and head for the nearest Home Depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,381,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Unless they don't understand that the only reason for a viable asylum claim is persecution then it may not be illegal for them to ask for it at a legal point of entry but why would they do it then? They'd have to lie to gain entrance. Many who do know they don't have a viable claim are entering our country illegally instead hoping not to get caught.

I'm glad that Trump wants catch and release implemented as those who make bogus claims to enter our country can no longer be given a court date to appear many if not most whom never show up for them but disappear into our country never to be found again.
It seems kinda silly to attempt to speculate or judge their intents for entering and/or if they meet the qualifications. If you’re also so insistent that our immigration system isn’t broken then why can’t you sit back and let the process play out. Then if there are some who are denied entry and then attempt to enter illegally or by force...well then it would make for relevant discussion on the illegal immigration forum.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:25 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
It seems kinda silly to attempt to speculate or judge their intents for entering and/or if they meet the qualifications. If you’re also so insistent that our immigration system isn’t broken then why can’t you sit back and let the process play out. Then if there are some who are denied entry and then attempt to enter illegally or by force...well then it would make for relevant discussion on the illegal immigration forum.

Based on the past most asylum seekers from south of our border's claims have been bogus. Only 10% have been approved. There is no evidence that many from south of our border are being persecuted in their countries based on their political, religious beliefs, race or sexual orientation.

The problem is that if they gain entrance illegally or make bogus claims at a legal port of entry is that we have to process them and set up a court date and as I said little to none show up for them and we are stuck with them. Either that or we have to detain them (as Trump wants to do) instead of catch and release and pay for their upkeep until a decision is made. We already have a back log of 750,000 asylum cases to be heard.

We need some new asylum rules as there has to be a limit to how many we allow in and stricter rules on how it's attained to prevent bogus claims and the costs ensued by our country. It's dishonest of them to claim asylum when they know they don't have a viable claim as it costs us a lot of tax dollars and other headaches for us. I would suggest that they have to wait in their own countries to be processed or in the nearest safest country that will take them in temporarily as Mexico has done somewhat already.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Based on the past most asylum seekers from south of our border's claims have been bogus. Only 10% have been approved. There is no evidence that many from south of our border are being persecuted in their countries based on their political, religious beliefs, race or sexual orientation.

The problem is that if they gain entrance illegally or make bogus claims at a legal port of entry is that we have to process them and set up a court date and as I said little to none show up for them and we are stuck with them. Either that or we have to detain them (as Trump wants to do) instead of catch and release and pay for their upkeep until a decision is made. We already have a back log of 750,000 asylum cases to be heard.

We need some new asylum rules as there has to be a limit to how many we allow in and stricter rules on how it's attained to prevent bogus claims and the costs ensued by our country. It's dishonest of them to claim asylum when they know they don't have a viable claim as it costs us a lot of tax dollars and other headaches for us. I would suggest that they have to wait in their own countries to be processed or in the nearest safest country that will take them in temporarily as Mexico has done somewhat already.
Again, youe grievance in this instance relates to legal immigration, not illegal immigration.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Again, youe grievance in this instance relates to legal immigration, not illegal immigration.

The title of this topic is "Has the border crisis reached a turning point". The border crisis is about the caravan and some of them have entered our country illegally so yes, it's an illegal immigration problem. A pregnant woman from the caravan just entered illegally and gave birth on our soil. We've been discussing this topic for several pages now including yourself so why all of a sudden does it belong in the legal immigration forum? My grievances are about those who enter illegally and those who make bogus asylum claims in the caravan.

I still stand by my remarks that asylum seeking is not a legal immigration process and I also explained why. If the mods thought this topic was inappropriate in here then they would have moved it elsewhere.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
The title of this topic is "Has the border crisis reached a turning point". The border crisis is about the caravan and some of them have entered our country illegally so yes, it's an illegal immigration problem. A pregnant woman from the caravan just entered illegally and gave birth on our soil. We've been discussing this topic for several pages now including yourself so why all of a sudden does it belong in the legal immigration forum? My grievances are about those who enter illegally and those who make bogus asylum claims in the caravan.

I still stand by my remarks that asylum seeking is not a legal immigration process and I also explained why. If the mods thought this topic was inappropriate in here then they would have moved it elsewhere.
Applying for and obtaining entry via asylum.....not illegal.....that must mean only one thing....that it is, in fact LEGAL.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Applying for and obtaining entry via asylum.....not illegal.....that must mean only one thing....that it is, in fact LEGAL.

Who said it wasn't? It's just not the same process as applying from one's homeland to come here under the regular immigration process. We've discussed this already. It becomes an illegal immigration issue when they jump the border illegally but have already been offered asylum in another safe country that they already passed through but refused it.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
25,000 arrested crossing illegally in November while everyone is looking at the caravans. I'm going to guess way more than that got through. Insanity.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
25,000 arrested crossing illegally in November while everyone is looking at the caravans. I'm going to guess way more than that got through. Insanity.

My guess would be that some or many are from the caravan.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,306 times
I don't understand why the left can't understand that making it unattractive and difficult to immigrate somewhere illegally is an absolutely necessary tool in the immigration enforcement toolbox.

The more people think they can get away with it, the more they will do it. If they perceive it as being difficult or not worth it illegally, they will go home or they won't be motivated to try. It happens in Europe as well. The countries that put out the welcome mat and offer the biggest package of goodies and free stuff get the mass waves of people. The ones who don't offer as much don't.

It's all very elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration