Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:53 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,540,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
This whole issue is just being used (and has been used for a long time) to divide us and maintain two-party politics. I don't know anyone who doesn't support controlling our borders. People just disagree about how best to enforce them compassionately and fairly. Our Orange Emperor wants us to believe the only two choices are a wall and a border free-for-all, and he gets plenty of mileage with this, whipping his base into a frenzy with endless fear mongering that has no basis in fact. Trump doesn't give a rat's you-know-what about the border or immigration. There have been press reports about illegals working on his properties. He just knows he can whip his supporters into a rage over the issue, and he uses it to maintain their support (just like his supposed support of conservative Christian values... give me a break).

The question I always come back to is why little ever seems to be done to the people who employ illegal immigrants? Maybe I'm wrong and things do happen to them. But I've always had the impression that there are few consequences for employers, and there's probably a good reason for that. Many American businesses rely on illegal immigrant labor and don't really want limitations on people coming into the country. That's why politicians whoop and holler about this issue but don't change much.

Personally, I believe the American dream should remain open to immigrants just like it has in the past, and not only highly educated ones who are bringing big value and skills in with them. Immigration policies should be fair and not discriminate against people from certain parts of the world. We should approach asylum seekers with compassion and work for solutions in their home countries to help limit the number of people who feel the need to escape. However, we also need to use common sense and screen out criminals of all stripes.
Oh, stop making sense. It has no place here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM

2,986 posts, read 1,754,854 times
To a (wo)man, the border control agents say a physical barrier is needed and works. I think I’ll take their words for it instead of a bunch of America-hating liberals.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 PM

17 posts, read 6,713 times
Default ..but wait tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
First off, any barrier can be defeated. Steel can be cut. Ladders can be erected etc. Spending $6B, probably $10B with typical cost overruns in government projects of taxpayer money that can be used for smarter immigration reform is just ridiculously stupid in my view.

[URL]https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immigration/test-steel-prototype-border-wall-showed-it-could-be-sawed-n956856[/URL]

Here is another idea..

streamline the asylum process to prevent abuse of the system - hire more judges, speed up credible fear hearings etc.

create a computerized system to monitor visa overstays...it is absolutely unbelievable how antiquated the current system is that is can't even proactively track overstays. Most illegals came on a plane not through the border.

everify! The system is already in place, mandate that it be used nationwide - Federal mandate.

fight to STOP this sanctuary city nonsense initiated by the Democrats.

The wall is a weak solution and it's not going to do much to solve the illegal immigration problem.

...dont worry about the cost bro...MEXICO is gonna pay for it!
JaJaJaJaJa!!!

Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 PM

Default supply and demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
They want their votes.

ive never seen a latino panhandler...ever. And I live in Ca. (born and raised in southeast san diego...minutes from the border) 100% employment. Because of all of the LOW WAGE MANUAL LABOR JOBS in the U.S. that attract these migrant workers. DRY UP THE DEMAND...DRY UP THE SUPPLY.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Default Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Ever feel like no matter how you explain, the dems are not going to understand? lol It's so frustrating. How can people actually want these people coming into our country? It makes no sense.

...your ancestors did?

Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,177,250 times
Conservatives: they want closed borders with Mexico, but welcome open borders with Russia for election hacking and money laundering. Go figure.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:32 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAMSM View Post
ive never seen a latino panhandler...ever. And I live in Ca. (born and raised in southeast san diego...minutes from the border) 100% employment. Because of all of the LOW WAGE MANUAL LABOR JOBS in the U.S. that attract these migrant workers. DRY UP THE DEMAND...DRY UP THE SUPPLY.

Illegal aliens aren't migrants nor immigrants. The reason there are so many low waged manual labor jobs now is directly due to their presence in this country. Many of those jobs use to be decent paying jobs before millions of cheap illegals flooded our border.

No one forces them over the border to work here. They know right from wrong so they are just as guilty of breaking the law as those who hire them and they both need to be held accountable.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:35 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAMSM View Post
...dont worry about the cost bro...MEXICO is gonna pay for it!
JaJaJaJaJa!!!

They already are with the new trade deal. I wonder if the anti-wall people were just as concerned about who was going to pay for it when congress actually passed the wall bill back in 2006 and it was to be the taxpayer that was to totally fund it? Hmm. It had both Schumer and Obama's signature on it by the way.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,228,226 times
The wall is a tiny percentage of the budget. It's necessary to deter most illegal entries. It's the baseline of defense. It's common sense. You need a wall before you get a security system.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,503,087 times
It is a whack -a-mole game. Plug the hole here another open up there. You want to stop the tide then stop the draw. E-Verify is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration