Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM

307 posts, read 522,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
^ i can't watch the video right now but i'm sure there is nothing new in it that i haven't read. If there is please enlighten me.
DeRosa says "Something Happended", but then says it was only a few students were involved, yet the next paragraph it is acknowledged that what happened occurred in a blind spot of the cameras and a GROUP of student are seen leaving the area after the incident.

Notice even the principal says group.

Additionally it is reported that the paramedics did find swelling and scratches to her face.

Now while it is always possible the victim hit her face against a wall and is making this up just to get attention, I tend to use go with Occams Razor. The girl was assaulted. Could I be wrong?, Sure. But do we tell rape victims with signs of trauma, “We don’t know if we can believe your story, after all some women just like rough Sex.” Now when it comes to a specific individual accused I will give the individual the benefit of the doubt, after all the victim may misidentify the person and on occasion victims make up a story. But I still approach the initial report as real as long as there is some evidence to support it.

In this case there is such evidence.

As for those who are implying she provoked it, THE SCHOOL assigned her to make protest signs on a CURRENT issue. ILLEGAL Immigration is a current issue and one of the top 10 in the country.

QUOTE “Students were asked to create “protest signs” dealing with a past issue and a current one by history teacher Janet Skelton”

Athens Review, Athens, Texas - AISD investigates alleged beating
Quote:
Originally Posted by from_article
AMS Principal Louis DeRosa and Hayes acknowledge something happened to Melanie Bowers, but both have stopped short of saying she was assaulted. DeRosa says only a few students — rather than the 21 alleged by the Bowers — were involved.

"Hayes said the incident occurred between two cameras and in “a blind spot.

“What they told me that they see is a group of students leaving an area,” he said, “and as they’re leaving they see two students turn around and look at what’s going on, but then they turn back around and keep on going. Typically what we have when we have a big fight is we have students who will run to an issue to see what’s going on. I’m not saying there was no disturbance. What I am saying is that we don’t know the extent of the disturbance at this point.”

Keep in mind that the school has multiple reasons for hiding such an incident. Read the following.

“When Melanie came to the office, Hayes said Castleberry took down information about the incident but refused to allow her to call home because he said it would “mess up the investigation.” Hayes said Monday the district typically allows students to call their parents if they have requested to do so.

And combine it with

“Students were asked to create “protest signs” dealing with a past issue and a current one by history teacher Janet Skelton”

Now tell me is this a five, six, or 7 figure lawsuit against the school system if the jury finds that she was assaulted? Yea I think the school MAY be trying to downplay this and cover their ass.

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,764,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Please promise that you will come back to spout your stuff AFTER this case develops further - lurkers who defend the criminal activities of illegals tend to abandon threads where they have had their hat handed to them. I hope you will be the exception to that rule.
The case hasn't developed yet you guys have already made up your minds already. When i present my point of view with the facts we have right now then some get mad at me? Hmmm see the hypocrisy here?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:34 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,516,697 times
Quote:
The case hasn't developed yet you guys have already made up your minds already. When i present my point of view with the facts we have right now then some get mad at me? Hmmm see the hypocrisy here?
"You guys"? Where have I made any contention about the facts of this case, hmmm? The only hypocrisy I see is your own.

P.S. I'm not mad at you.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

307 posts, read 522,883 times
Quote:
Yet, none of them have been arrested or even suspended.
Do you pay attention to how government agencies respond to such incidents?

Suspending the students could be used in a civil case to support that they were guilty of the act.

Let me ask you this. If a school assigned a "Politically charged" school project,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
“Students were asked to create “protest signs” dealing with a past issue and a current one by history teacher Janet Skelton”
and a student was then assaulted and threatened with rape because of it, and then the school REFUSED to allow the THIRTEEN YEAR OLD victim to call for help even though it is the norm to allow them to do so,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
“When Melanie came to the office, Hayes said Castleberry took down information about the incident but refused to allow her to call home because he said it would “mess up the investigation.” Hayes said Monday the district typically allows students to call their parents if they have requested to do so.
do you think the school might avoid taking actions (like suspend attackers) which would show guilt in a million of dollar civil lawsuit?

Is it possible she's lying? Sure. But considering the school officials have already shown lack of judgement AND the article is not naming the aledged attacker, then as with any other criminal case I tend to support the victim.

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 04-08-2008 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,212,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
For me this is the bottom line:

If a hispanic student had made a sign for the same history class that said "white people go back to europe this is our land" or something along that line, I suspect he would not have been allegedly assaulted by white students. If he had been, I would expect that the white students who allegedly attacked him receive the appropriate punishment. I would NOT be here defending their alleged actions by obfuscation.
Even that would not fly: most 'Hispanics' are in part descended from White Euro stock.

That stated: a hate crime is just that; a hate crime----------no matter the race/ethnicity/skin color of the parties involved.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,614,710 times
Offline awhile, blacknight thank you for your answer. I'm glad we both agree that attacking a child is wrong. The poster above answered your question for me, insofar as anyone beating up another human being, much less a child, in the name of one race against another, is both morally wrong and legally indefensible in this country. That is the cruxt of the definition of hate crime.

It is also a crime to enter this country illegally, and is a serious one with far-reaching consequences to the public wellbeing of its citizenry.

Last edited by fastfilm; 04-08-2008 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,130,056 times
You know what Blacknight 04? I DID jump to the conclusion that the attackers were Latino before I even read the full story and guess what? I was right. Doesn't it bother you that my conclusion was true even though I didn't have to read into the story???

But I will humor you and tell you that if indeed that she was making this story up and wrongly accused a bunch of Latinos, then I will admit I was wrong. However, it won't stop me from making conclusions like this again should a similiar incident happen in the future. The only way I would stop making conclusions like these is if incidents like this stop happening.

Going along the lines of your reasoning, why did the Latino students get offended? The sign said "illegal immigrants". There's illegal immigrants from Europe/Asia/Africa as well.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,212,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
You know what Blacknight 04? I DID jump to the conclusion that the attackers were Latino before I even read the full story and guess what? I was right. Doesn't it bother you that my conclusion was true even though I didn't have to read into the story???

But I will humor you and tell you that if indeed that she was making this story up and wrongly accused a bunch of Latinos, then I will admit I was wrong. However, it won't stop me from making conclusions like this again should a similiar incident happen in the future. The only way I would stop making conclusions like these is if incidents like this stop happening.

Going along the lines of your reasoning, why did the Latino students get offended? The sign said "illegal immigrants". There's illegal immigrants from Europe/Asia/Africa as well.
Probably because said 'Latinos' are afraid of something-----as in deportation of friends/relatives.

The cold reality is with the hardening anti illegal immigrant attitude (and much stricter law enforcement)-----people who should not be here are spooked hence lashing out at a helpless young girl.

If said punks tried their vato crap against anybody else; they would most likely get their butts whipped (at best), arrested, then ICE would get involved with its repercussions.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:23 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,714,428 times
I love this young Patriot already. Her hear is in the right place. Too bad she cant even exist in her own country without being attacked by illegal latinos.

I am extremely saddened. This happens at those rallies too. Illegals are ruthless, mean, and crazy. My point is proven every time they huddle together.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,300,549 times
I would think the young lady could well be suspended for displaying her poster in the lunch room. The class of course provides coverage for having the sign in the school...but once it is displayed in the lunch room all bets are off. There is no constitutional right for a student to display such a poster in the school.

The reason of course is clear. Such statements can cause reactions and even violence.

Try "Clean up American...all N*****s back to Africa" in a High School lunch room and see how it works out.

One never defends stuipid kids...whether displaying "war" posters or reacting to them. But the defense of such ethnic and racial positions in well established in our society. Think the white kids in Jena would put up with a black kid with a sign "honkies back to Europe"?

Only one so far who has made any sense was dad...who suggested it was a stupid assignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration