Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:35 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Well, isn't that just great??
How perfect it all sounds........
Yes I agree with you

Old 04-23-2008, 05:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I agree, and think it was great of your grandparents. It might possibly be the differences in the generations. It could be possible that the younger ones are not as interested, I don't know.
My dad works at a school in central Oregon, where about 90% of the kids are Hispanic, very small school, only about 1000 kids. Anyway he says he never hears English in the Halls. they only speak it when they have too. Maybe it is a disinterest, but the parents should be showing them by example.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barinnas View Post
If I were you I would not praise indians that much, they come here, create
oportunities only for their fellow indians, put down americans more than any other race I know, take their money and invest it in India, export jobs to India more than anyone, they keep their culture and language in the US, then smile to "stupid americans" to keep their status, and I know what I am talking about, I've worked with hundreds of them.

We are so stupid in this country, being fixated on migrant workers, using them as scapegoats, these migrant workers support the economy from the ground-up, indians get to positions of some power and abuse it,I know this is true of other races but I think Indians over-do-it, I guess they'l keep laughing for a long time.
I disagree with you as usual. Immigrants generally who assimilate into American society do well.

I think in your description, you were describing Hispanic Immigrants, not other immigrant groups. Other groups have assimilated quite well......many hispanics have not.

And yes, I do attribute english fluency to poverty level. The poverty level, crime level, unemployment in the hispanic community is largely due to their lack of assimilation into our society. Look at the hundreds of other groups who have migrated here as a model. The successful groups are the groups that assimilate.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:36 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My dad works at a school in central Oregon, where about 90% of the kids are Hispanic, very small school, only about 1000 kids. Anyway he says he never hears English in the Halls. they only speak it when they have too. Maybe it is a disinterest, but the parents should be showing them by example.
The ones that do speak english, and speak it in all situations will achieve. The ones that dont will fail. Oh well, looks like farm work is in store for much of the students at this school.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM

334 posts, read 827,807 times
Quote:
Maybe signs WRITTEN in English might be a better way to look at this issue. If you cant speak the language you cant read or write it either.

Simply amazing, you are!!!!!
You've really got problems. What will you make up next?

Road and traffic signs in the US meet international standards, as do those of most countries, including Mexico. It's UNIVERSAL for those of you who never venture out of the US!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM

334 posts, read 827,807 times
Quote:
And where did they learn to speak ENGLISH, in Mexico???????
Basic English, YES. They receive 2 years of English in school here.

Got any other dumb ideas?

Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,283 times
Quote:
Well, I am sure your EMPLOYER would love to hear that you idly sit at your desk and watch cars go by instead of doing the job that he PAYS YOU TO DO!!!!!!

It Figures!!!!!!!!
Maybe he is the owner of the company, kudo's to him if he is. Why do you display so much hate? Are you jealous that someone eles life is better than yours?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Oh yea Mexicans are dumb. We'll just take back the color T.V, birth control and the first Rocket Belt.

Birth control???? Now that's funny!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I disagree with you as usual. Immigrants generally who assimilate into American society do well.

I think in your description, you were describing Hispanic Immigrants, not other immigrant groups. Other groups have assimilated quite well......many hispanics have not.

And yes, I do attribute english fluency to poverty level. The poverty level, crime level, unemployment in the hispanic community is largely due to their lack of assimilation into our society. Look at the hundreds of other groups who have migrated here as a model. The successful groups are the groups that assimilate.
Even if Indians invest in India, that ultimately helps because they are improving their country and eliminating the "need" for emigration.

I have yet to hear Indian immigrants speaking their own languages much less demanding services be provided in them, every last Indian immigrant family has their children speaking English and doing well in schools.

Because they learn English so readily, they are never seen sitting around in welfare offices, I doubt any of us has ever seen the buying food with food stamps and their illegitimacy rate doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Not that I don't sometimes find them irritating especially when they're always calling me trying to sell something or another but they value education and will succeed here because they learn our language and adapt to our culture.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Birth control???? Now that's funny!!
Yea who would of thought? a nation so Catholic produced the very first birth control pill. Something we take for granted here in the U.S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration