Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much does an immigrants inability to speak English irritate you?
It doesnt bother me. 112 32.94%
It bothers me somewhat. 54 15.88%
It really bothers me. 174 51.18%
No opinion, never heard anyone speak anything but English. 0 0%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Large families are fine. However, people shouldn’t have more children than they can afford to support. If you’re living in abject poverty; why on earth would you continue to have children?
Lack of education/different cultural norms--------2-3 generations back both Black and White Americans tended to have 4+ children per couple.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,767,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Exactly. Mexican culture is very work oriented, and traditionally, lots of children means more help.

Plus, Mexicans are very family oriented as well. Culturally, Mexican children do a lot for their parents. Thats why many have grandparents living with them, because theyd rather have them home than in A Home.

There are lots of other cultures that have large families for the same reasons. Many cultures that embrace Catholicism seem to have large families as well.

Isn't that stereotyping? Are you implying that Mexicans value work and Americans don't? Americans aren't family oriented?

One reason Mexicans have their grandparents in the home is that they never moved out of their parents' homes. The society is different in that children are expected to never move away and to support their parents in their old age.

You also can't make sweeping statements about their great family values when over half their births are illegitimate.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,698,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Large families are fine. However, people shouldn’t have more children than they can afford to support. If you’re living in abject poverty; why on earth would you continue to have children?
Many hands make light work. If you're growing your own food...the food will STRETCH, especially if you make it into a soup...or use lots of pasta, rice, or tortillas...

which they DO.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Isn't that stereotyping? Are you implying that Mexicans value work and Americans don't? Americans aren't family oriented?

One reason Mexicans have their grandparents in the home is that they never moved out of their parents' homes. The society is different in that children are expected to never move away and to support their parents in their old age.

You also can't make sweeping statements about their great family values when over half their births are illegitimate.
And; I am not impressed with the so-called Mexican 'work ethic'--------it must not be that good otherwise Mexico would be a First World powerhouse.

Some individual Mexican people do have a can-do/self improvement attitude.........yet, somehow it does not transfer to the overall culture.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:34 PM

327 posts, read 940,142 times
Thumbs up learned the language to help myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
I have never met an immigrant who didn't know basic English.
I'm one of them. I had to learned the English language to help myself in this country. Communication is the key to success.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:41 PM

327 posts, read 940,142 times
Thumbs up blessing to have more children

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Lack of education/different cultural norms--------2-3 generations back both Black and White Americans tended to have 4+ children per couple.
People use to live a simple life. They were born and lived their lives in the same regions. Having more children was blessing with helping hands to work on a farm. They didn't have technology as we do now.
Saving a family name was also important.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 PM

72 posts, read 354,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Most redneck families have more than four children. Maybe we could start redneck shools and show them how they Mexicans have gotten it down to a little over two. Shatter their illusions but perhaps provide an example.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanna vaida View Post
People use to live a simple life. They were born and lived their lives in the same regions. Having more children was blessing with helping hands to work on a farm. They didn't have technology as we do now.
Saving a family name was also important.
Too; many years ago the infant mortality rate was ghastly........once the death rate started declining-----that is when the birth rate really started plummeting.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:19 AM

166 posts, read 987,016 times
If they don't want to learn English that's their problem. It does bother me, but I look on the bright side.

None of them will ever have my husbands' job. They can't do it! They will never make $60 dollars an hr. cause they can't speak English, and they will not be able to pass the test to get certified as an Ace fitness trainer.

So, in my case I don't care. And they can't have my job either, cause they can't speak English fluently. Firefighting is more or less physical labor. Just find a job they can't figure out, that doesn't require physical labor, and most of them can't do it cause they can't even read the textbooks to pass the exams. Nor can they speak English over the airwaves to the point where they could get a job at it. They can get a job at a Spanish station instead.

I guess they have their pro's and con's. Just look on the bright side, and find a job they can't do. I haven't met one immigrant in my life that has ever past the ACE Certified Fitness Test in ENGLISH. If you can pass that test you deserve 60 bucks an hr. Trust me!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,345,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
If they don't want to learn English that's their problem. It does bother me, but I look on the bright side.

None of them will ever have my husbands' job. They can't do it! They will never make $60 dollars an hr. cause they can't speak English, and they will not be able to pass the test to get certified as an Ace fitness trainer.

So, in my case I don't care. And they can't have my job either, cause they can't speak English fluently. Firefighting is more or less physical labor. Just find a job they can't figure out, that doesn't require physical labor, and most of them can't do it cause they can't even read the textbooks to pass the exams. Nor can they speak English over the airwaves to the point where they could get a job at it. They can get a job at a Spanish station instead.

I guess they have their pro's and con's. Just look on the bright side, and find a job they can't do. I haven't met one immigrant in my life that has ever past the ACE Certified Fitness Test in ENGLISH. If you can pass that test you deserve 60 bucks an hr. Trust me!
If they don't learn English and become educated, they will become a permanent underclass for US to support with our tax money. That's the downside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration