Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you generally characterize your encounters with other immigrants?
Most immigrants are friendly to me. 27 55.10%
Some immigrants are friendly to me. 6 12.24%
Rarely are immigrants friendly to me. 6 12.24%
Some immigrants can be downright rude to me. 6 12.24%
Other/No Opinion 4 8.16%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Most IMMIGRANTS (meaning legal) i've dealt with are usually civil and treat me with respect. As long as you respect them they'll respect you in most cases. I live in an area that is 60% immigrants so i have plenty of experience with immigrants to draw from.

Now, ILLEGALS, different story. Most dont have any respect, period. They'll snub your noses at you if you dont speak their language (not just spanish here ok?) Some just look at you in a way that invites a fight.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Most IMMIGRANTS (meaning legal) i've dealt with are usually civil and treat me with respect. As long as you respect them they'll respect you in most cases. I live in an area that is 60% immigrants so i have plenty of experience with immigrants to draw from.

Now, ILLEGALS, different story. Most dont have any respect, period. They'll snub your noses at you if you dont speak their language (not just spanish here ok?) Some just look at you in a way that invites a fight.
So how can you tell the difference? What does personality have to do with someone's legal status? Unless you try to make up some BS correlation.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:21 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
I have not seen anything negative from the Legals or Illegals. All anyone really wants is to be treated with respect, and before someone jumps in and asks me how do I know they are Illegal, if they are wandering around it the desert is one clue and if you see them getting off of the homeland Security bus is another. I have mentioned before that I have made quite a few friends in Mexico and they are wonderful people.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
It's sometimes very easy to tell who are illegals -- and considering the numbers you are probably going to be right if you think they are illegal.

I have met some nice ones but many other keep to themselves - except the problem is that they ignore the citizens and cause problems for their neighbors with the way they live. Others will just stare you down.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
It's sometimes very easy to tell who are illegals -- and considering the numbers you are probably going to be right if you think they are illegal.

I have met some nice ones but many other keep to themselves - except the problem is that they ignore the citizens and cause problems for their neighbors with the way they live. Others will just stare you down.

How can you tell if someone is illegal or not?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

You're right and I have mentioned it before that it is pretty easy to spot an illegal, need to get the word out, so they make some changes and not so easy to spot.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 PM

I live in Texas, where it is easy. I have one friend married to an illegal who can even tell you what state and ranch area they came from in Mexico.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:39 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
So how can you tell the difference? What does personality have to do with someone's legal status? Unless you try to make up some BS correlation.
OK here's my observations as a bank teller to tell how someone is legal or not. If i ask for an id here are some common correlactions:

A foreign Id and a foreign passport (with no visible US visa inside)- most likely illegal
A Virginia Drivers License- Legal in most cases (VA dont exactly give them away)
A Maryland Drivers License and a Bank of America card- the jury is still out (MD and BofA are in love with illegals and give them anything)
Reluctant to give SSN and/or produces fake VA id's- illegal probably

Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
OK here's my observations as a bank teller to tell how someone is legal or not. If i ask for an id here are some common correlactions:

A foreign Id and a foreign passport (with no visible US visa inside)- most likely illegal
A Virginia Drivers License- Legal in most cases (VA dont exactly give them away)
A Maryland Drivers License and a Bank of America card- the jury is still out (MD and BofA are in love with illegals and give them anything)
Reluctant to give SSN and/or produces fake VA id's- illegal probably
The common person walking down the street is not checking ID's they are basing it off stereotypes. Even if Lakewooders friend could tell where they originate from SOB...how do they tell if they are illegal and not on a working Visa?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Well Mach if 1/3 to to 1/2 the hispanics in Texas are illegal and you have been around them for years, how stupid do you have to be to not know or have a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.