Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:43 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,247,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
E verify and hopefully self deportation should take care of a 1/4 according to some estimates. Plain old deportation like Eisenhower did, closing the birthright citizenship loophole.
Immediate, forceful ejection. Regardless of circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,595,829 times
Eliminate the Federal business expense tax deduction for all employees, contractors, and subcontractors who have not been verified through e-verify. At the same time, streamline the process for anyone already here without a criminal record to apply for green card status. Free, simple, and market-based.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:44 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
Step up workplace raids. Prosecute & fine companies who knowingly employ illegals. Prosecute & fine individuals who knowingly hire illegals to do housework/yardwork. Round them up at home. Round them up at school. Profile them on the roads (they're easy to spot). Round them up at the supermarket. We know where they are. We just have to go get them.

Ban them from returning to the US for life. Get their fingerprints & retinal scans so that we can easily identify them if they reenter the US. If they do, imprison them. Make it tough on them. Increase penalties for identity theft. Confiscate their assets.

Additionally, we need to end birthright citizenship YESTERDAY. Illegals aren't supposed to be able to get welfare (they do via identity theft) but their American citizen children can.

We know what we have to do. We just have to have the stomach and the balls to actually get out there and do it.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:49 AM

17,020 posts, read 12,615,413 times
Quote:
E verify and hopefully self deportation should take care of a 1/4 according to some estimates. Plain old deportation like Eisenhower did, closing the birthright citizenship loophole.
+1 E verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Put whoever is employing them in prison.
+ Ayup and make the everify a legal defense. If you Everified, you have done your bit. Makes doing the Everify a liability remover and thus done more. Your insurance company will now require it as part of your policy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Before the cascade of absurd responses, get off your fat butt and mow your own lawn and clean your own house. Its not that hard.
Ayup wish I coulda like that one 50 times. Clean your own house. Dern lazy..

Old 01-02-2020, 07:51 AM

29,561 posts, read 14,708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I can go along with 1,2, 3 and 4.
Hammer the employers, hammer the illegals and hammer any enablers including landlords and family members.
seize their assets as well.
I'm all for this.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:22 AM

7,287 posts, read 5,170,467 times
A) First, above all, to solve this problem, we need to completely forget about ideology. In a "perfect world" everyone would be completely happy with their lives and there would be no need to ever migrate. We can't achieve perfection, so forget about trying to attain it. Let's be practical:

With 20M illegals and ~500,000 minutes in a yr, we'd need to hold 40 one minute hearings per minute for a whole yr to handle the court load. Can't be done.

So--

B) Amend The Constitution. We're the only country in the world where citizenship is awarded merely by the geography of birth. It served a purpose for 200 yrs while we were trying to fill back up the country we had emptied by exterminating the indigenous (Don't I sound like a Liberal?) people.. Times have changed. We don't need that anymore.

C) We DO need workers willing to work in the ag industry for $10/hr. Americans would do the work @ $20/hr with benefits, but then a potato would cost $8. We simply need to have an organized effort to import workers legally with a minimum of red tape. Make it so easy that there would be no need for honest workers to cross or be employed illegally. They would pay payroll taxes but not be eligible for retirement or govt disability, govt paid healthcare etc etc. They would be expected to return to their COO when the work was done.

D) For those illegals who can prove residency (phone bill, electric bill etc) for, say, 5 yrs with no evidence of criminal activity and evidence of self- sufficiency of income, we just gotta concede that they are acting as good citizens and deserve legal status. This would cover the so-called Dreamers.. ..Those here less than that arbitrary 5 yrs would be expelled and could get back in line for legal immigration.

E) Get rid of the stupid "asylum laws." They were instituted during the Cold War to encourage defections from the Communist Bloc for propaganda purposes. They weren't meant to afford sanctuary to those who couldn't find a job or didn't like their neighborhoods.

The Laws should reflect the same conditions for access to our country as the rules we use to welcome or exclude people from our houses.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:29 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,057,902 times
Quote:
That number seems to grow each time someone wants to discuss all those ILLEGALS here.

Last I heard it was 10 to 12 million. (November 2019).....

For the ones we don't know about -- the truly undocumented workers...nothing we can do. We don't know they are illegal.

If someone has been identified as illegal then they should be processed accordingly.

If someone has been identified as illegal and has been in the system for 10-15-20 years -- heck even 5....then we should process them for a green card. Document them. OR not....but this whole keeping them in the system and not deciding has cost us probably more than all the 'aid' you think undocumented workers get.

This administration, as well as previous Democrat & Republican administration have identified undocumented workers and then had them check in every six months to every year....while their case is processed. WHAT? If the worker has a job, a business, is married to a US citizen stop wasting tax payer money on this process and give them a green card. That does not make them a citizen and it doesn't have to make them a citizen in the future. It just means that these fathers, husbands, business owners, students, folks who have been here since they were babies....can stop wasting our tax payer money and become part of the system.

Let's get that visa system working where students, temp workers, tourists are tracked.

Almost 50 per cent of the undocumented workers are folks who came here on visas and just stayed.

and yes apply resources to ports of entry to properly, and effectively process folks asking for asylum or refugee status.

I have not really met many illegals knowingly. When I was involved with my church there were many Hispanics in the community. The church had a separate mass in Spanish. BUT....those folks weren't the kind of folks that were lining up for the handouts as you all talk about. Those folks were hesitant to even register with the parish for fear that there was some kind of tracking that would bring their status to the attention of the authorities. They operated on a cash basis because they wanted no tracking on them. They were more willing to pay for their kids CCSD than Mrs. Southern Jones who complained about the 80 dollar fee for CCSD because you know she had four kids and they were in travel soccer, swimming, tennis, cheer leading. After all that there wasn't much left for the Sunday school -- lol (honest to goodness story.....talk about tone deaf).

And yes E-Verify. Make it work. I suspect that the federal govt. doesn't improve this system because it gives that employer a way out when he is caught not e-verifying.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:30 AM

63,005 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
I think it would rid us of a lot more than 1/4 of them. I agree, deport them as they are found also. Ending birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits and securing our border with good physical barriers where they are needed would also go a long ways in deterring more from getting into our country in the first place. The constant promise by the Democrats of amnesty is a huge magnet for more to come here.

Old 01-02-2020, 08:32 AM

179 posts, read 357,593 times
We should deport them BUT give the ones that are willing to apply for citizenship the right way access to do so. I am all for immigrants coming to the United States, but it has to be done the right way and the lawful way. My wife's family is from Spain and Mexico, and she is a 2nd generation Mexican, Spanish-American, but her family did it the right way. In fact, her family gets offended whenever they hear about illegal immigrants coming. My wife's grandpa gets really upset when he had to wait, pay money and take a test just to come to the US when others just come here and get the opportunities he has with less involved. One of his proudest moments was when he got his citizenship. That can be done for all those that are here illegally. We aren't saying we don't want you here, we want you here the right way. The US needs to welcome and open arm LEGAL immigration.

-B

Old 01-02-2020, 08:35 AM

25,864 posts, read 12,901,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx View Post
We should deport them BUT give the ones that are willing to apply for citizenship the right way access to do so. I am all for immigrants coming to the United States, but it has to be done the right way and the lawful way. My wife's family is from Spain and Mexico, and she is a 2nd generation Mexican, Spanish-American, but her family did it the right way. In fact, her family gets offended whenever they hear about illegal immigrants coming. My wife's grandpa gets really upset when he had to wait, pay money and take a test just to come to the US when others just come here and get the opportunities he has with less involved. One of his proudest moments was when he got his citizenship. That can be done for all those that are here illegally. We aren't saying we don't want you here, we want you here the right way. The US needs to welcome and open arm LEGAL immigration.

-B
So, you are saying if they are here now they can stay if they apply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration