Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2021, 02:34 PM

1,733 posts, read 947,823 times

Advertisements

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...o-3080900.html

Texas National Guard will more than double its troop levels at the state’s border with Mexico to about 2,500 service members during the next month to conduct security and build a border barrier under the direction of Gov. Greg Abbott.
Just in the last week, National Guard troops arrested more than 2,000 people crossing the border illegally, Lt. Col. Rodney Kelley, director of training and operations for the Texas Military Department, said Thursday during a news conference. They saw another 200 people turn back into Mexico without crossing, he said.
Guard engineers have already built about three miles of border barrier and the surge of troops will allow teams to work in multiple areas while also surveying future construction sites, Kelley said. Two engineer teams are already working along the border, with two more expected to arrive this week.

This article is a few weeks old however, I wanted to use it as a segue to update people what is currently going on in the Del Rio area regarding the border.
National Guard troops have been staged at the Val Verde fairgrounds in Del Rio however, it's rapidly becoming unsustainable b/c many people board their horses there, including the 4-H club. When I ran trains out of Del Rio to Alpine, I boarded my horses out there and I know first hand that space is limited.
So, acreage has been purchased near Laughlin AF Base on the outskirts of town, and that is being cleared to build a "base" for the NG troops; estimates are that 700-1500 troops will be staged there indefinitely.

For those interested in keeping with the border crisis, there's a good FB page, "Texans for Closing the Border," that stays up to date on what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2021, 03:34 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/...o-3080900.html

Texas National Guard will more than double its troop levels at the state’s border with Mexico to about 2,500 service members during the next month to conduct security and build a border barrier under the direction of Gov. Greg Abbott.
Just in the last week, National Guard troops arrested more than 2,000 people crossing the border illegally, Lt. Col. Rodney Kelley, director of training and operations for the Texas Military Department, said Thursday during a news conference. They saw another 200 people turn back into Mexico without crossing, he said.
Guard engineers have already built about three miles of border barrier and the surge of troops will allow teams to work in multiple areas while also surveying future construction sites, Kelley said. Two engineer teams are already working along the border, with two more expected to arrive this week.

This article is a few weeks old however, I wanted to use it as a segue to update people what is currently going on in the Del Rio area regarding the border.
National Guard troops have been staged at the Val Verde fairgrounds in Del Rio however, it's rapidly becoming unsustainable b/c many people board their horses there, including the 4-H club. When I ran trains out of Del Rio to Alpine, I boarded my horses out there and I know first hand that space is limited.
So, acreage has been purchased near Laughlin AF Base on the outskirts of town, and that is being cleared to build a "base" for the NG troops; estimates are that 700-1500 troops will be staged there indefinitely.

For those interested in keeping with the border crisis, there's a good FB page, "Texans for Closing the Border," that stays up to date on what's going on.
Thanks for heads up. I just hope that Arizona follows suit. Unfortunately, our governor of Calif. has no interest in turning back the tide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration