Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 02:26 PM

6,636 posts, read 5,045,247 times

Advertisements

I think I need a good stimulus myself right now. I am thoroughly traumatized that anyone could even come up with this idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 12:43 PM

8,096 posts, read 10,698,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
More rewarding of law-breaking behavior.

There are so many actual Americans that need help, like Vets for instance; yet the Biden admin would rather keep giving money/help to illegals.

Boggles my mind.
The purpose is demoralization.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,077,358 times
LOL who is sitting opposite the US in these talks I wonder, or inbetween?

Old 11-06-2021, 10:07 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,165,604 times
Thankfully, there are some in Congress who see the lunacy of this policy and are trying to remedy it. Tom McClintock (R) from California's 4th District (sadly, not mine) introduced the "Illegal Immigrant Payoff Prohibition Act of 2021" on November 4, 2021. Here's a link to the press release:

https://mcclintock.house.gov/newsroo...on-act-of-2021

Please! Contact your US Rep and tell them to support this bill. (I would, but my Rep is a California Democrat, so she's useless in this regard.)

Last edited by ImmerLernen; 11-06-2021 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 AM

9,551 posts, read 5,348,783 times
This proposal is insane.

Do you know how long and hard I've worked in my life to start squeaking by in retirement and this idiot is proposing given hundreds of thousands of dollars to illegals?

I think what might be missing in this dialogue is the fact that Trump separated kids from people who were not clearly their actual parents! But they let the narrative end at the kids were separated from the so-called family. And no one pushes back.

Senator Richmond (on Fox News....god help me) seems to indicate these children were 'permanently lost.' I mean, seriously? Parents were never ever reunited with their children? Or, did they let the kids into the interior of the country and the parents, who were never confirmed to be the actual parents, were sent back south?
We are not getting the truth on any of this. The spin is giving me a neck ache. And they use 'children,' always 'the children,' to drive their agenda.

On another note, Juan Williams (also on Fox) clearly dyed his hair black and is high on something. He just declared this the greatest economy in the history of history.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:36 AM

63,301 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This proposal is insane.

Do you know how long and hard I've worked in my life to start squeaking by in retirement and this idiot is proposing given hundreds of thousands of dollars to illegals?

I think what might be missing in this dialogue is the fact that Trump separated kids from people who were not clearly their actual parents! But they let the narrative end at the kids were separated from the so-called family. And no one pushes back.

Senator Richmond (on Fox News....god help me) seems to indicate these children were 'permanently lost.' I mean, seriously? Parents were never ever reunited with their children? Or, did they let the kids into the interior of the country and the parents, who were never confirmed to be the actual parents, were sent back south?
We are not getting the truth on any of this. The spin is giving me a neck ache. And they use 'children,' always 'the children,' to drive their agenda.

On another note, Juan Williams (also on Fox) clearly dyed his hair black and is high on something. He just declared this the greatest economy in the history of history.
We don't jail kids with their real or imaginary parents anyway. It's the law! If these parents wanted to be reunited with their real kids what's stopping them from contacting the authorities to claim them? No way should we be paying for separating them from their kids based on our laws! They were forewarned not to try and enter our country illegally with their kids anyway.

Old 11-07-2021, 11:41 AM

9,551 posts, read 5,348,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We don't jail kids with their real or imaginary parents anyway. It's the law! If these parents wanted to be reunited with their real kids what's stopping them from contacting the authorities to claim them? No way should we be paying for separating them from their kids based on our laws! They were forewarned not to try and enter our country illegally with their kids anyway.
Thanks for refreshing my memory. We couldn't keep kids in with the adults, right?

Old 11-07-2021, 03:36 PM

63,301 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Thanks for refreshing my memory. We couldn't keep kids in with the adults, right?
The law is that kids can't be jailed with their parents if they are jailed for breaking the law so how in the world do we owe these parents anything for separating them as our laws state?

Old 11-07-2021, 06:36 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,324,731 times
Quote:
this about as simple of a summary as it gets. Re: the Flores settlement. https://cis.org/Report/History-Flores-Settlement

Quote:
Flores calls on the government to release children "without unnecessary delay". Gee interpreted that to mean 20 days. In other words, now all minors in detention, whether or not they were with their parents, couldn't be detained for more than three weeks. This ruling laid the groundwork for the current (early 2019) crisis at the border, in which children are released while their parents can still be detained awaiting hearings — hence, the "separation" of families. The alternative is simply releasing the entire family after three weeks or less. In other words, "catch-and-release".

The next year, in 2016, Ninth Circuit Judge Andrew Hurwitz, joined by judges Michael Melloy and Ronald Gould, reaffirmed that Flores applies to all children, regardless of whether they're accompanied — although they did reverse the notion that parents have an affirmative right of release.

Old 11-07-2021, 09:25 PM

4,468 posts, read 5,198,176 times
Perhaps the State Department can make the orderly flow of repatriating minors a policy priority. Every nation should have an agreement with us about it, especially Latin American nations where a vast majority of the problem exists.

The UN could set up a program as well. I would support funding things like these, over paying smugglers to traffic children, with our tax dollars.

Foreign nations cannot be able to hold us hostage with their children and their illegal migrant parents et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration