Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:16 PM

220 posts, read 381,798 times

Advertisements

Yes, the title of this thread is an actual recent quote from Senator John McCain on the campaign trail, as reported by the NYT. The full quote runs as follows:

Quote:
He added: "I believe we have to secure our borders, and I think most Americans agree with that, because it's a matter of national security. But we must enact comprehensive immigration reform. We must make it a top agenda item if we don't do it before, and we probably won't, a little straight talk, as of January 2009."
In order to avoid copyright violations I'll leave the rest of the NYT's reporting to the reader of this thread (a must read).

Reporting like this only bolsters my previous claim that fighting congressional amnesty is, in the long run, a losing battle since the political elites from both "sides" are so committed to legalizing the very illegality that they themselves have permitted. We probably have upwards of 20-40 million illegals in the U.S. and there is little reason to believe that immigration restrictionists are about to force these people out of the country. In the light of this magnitude of illegality there can be no other option than some kind of amnesty because the presence of these illegals is a fait accompli.

Just another nail in the coffin for the "conservative" movement, whose very candidate advocates immigration policies that are roughly in conformity with the likes of the National Council of La Raza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,791,856 times
Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are not pro illegal immigration. Republican voters, of all people, should have voted for either one. Instead, McCain was chosen. I don't know what to tell you.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Being against illegal immigration, while at the same time, being elected to public office in the US, are mutually exclusive. You can't do both, no matter which party you're in. All any of the voters can do is go on and vote according to other issues. Illegal immigration is not on the table, as far as our politicians are concerned.

Doesn't this embarrass them? No, it doesn't. They can't help themselves.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1;
Ron Paul and Mitt Romney are not pro illegal immigration. Republican voters, of all people, should have voted for either one. Instead, McCain was chosen. I don't know what to tell you.
In my opinion, for the purposes of this election cycle, a real conservative coalition could have been formed around either Paul or Romney but (as you stated) those candidates weren't chosen. Oh well.

My answer to America's ever worsening condition, as seen from the vantage point of modern conservatives, is to give up on the conservative movement and to rephrase their objective in nationalist terms. After all, a strong viable nationalist movement is what the liberals fear the most.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
And this is one of the reasons there are a lot of anger and disention within the Rep party. Personally, I will be voting for Ron Paul because I am tired of picking the lesser of two evils. It is a royal shame that this is the state democracy has been reduced to.
Neither party is looking out for the interests of US citizens, both the dems and reps are more interested in capturing the millions of illegal votes, and both the dems arn the reps have a vested interest in keeping businesses happy with the cheap labor.
As long as politics becomes a way to feather ones nest and less a patriotic calling nothing will change.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
In my opinion, for the purposes of this election cycle, a real conservative coalition could have been formed around either Paul or Romney but (as you stated) those candidates weren't chosen. Oh well.

My answer to America's ever worsening condition, as seen from the vantage point of modern conservatives, is to give up on the conservative movement and to rephrase their objective in nationalist terms. After all, a strong viable nationalist movement is what the liberals fear the most.
By the standards of 50 years ago; I would be a flamin' liberal........just that many of today's moderate conservatives are on the same page as me.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
It’s truly sad that we have no ‘real’ representation today. They are all motivated by greed, and are loyal only to their pockets.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 PM

AZBear,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear;
By the standards of 50 years ago; I would be a flamin' liberal........just that many of today's moderate conservatives are on the same page as me.
I would say that you are in good company and that nearly the whole of the "conservative" movement is moderate. And while this approach lends itself to a certain kind of moral satisfaction (a threading of the political needle if you a will) it unfortunately also seems to be a loser.

Perhaps this is the choice of today's conservatives. Gird their loins with some fiery nationalism or continue to lose their country while striking a morally clever pose.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 PM

Benicar,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar;
It’s truly sad that we have no ‘real’ representation today. They are all motivated by greed, and are loyal only to their pockets.
It is both sad and abominable.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I agree 100%, David . . . I am definitely concerned for our future with the choices on the horizon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration