Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 05:10 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,360,805 times

Advertisements

Although fewer goods are manufactured now in the USA compared to a few decades ago, the US movie industry has been pumping out good films during all that time. Lots of those films reach all corners of the globe either to theaters, TV or even on-line video clips. Many of those films make the US look like a good and fun place, and that forms an image in the minds of people outside the US. Laugh as you please, but really, what other country has so many movies made that get global release?

TV programs come as a close second to movies in gaining attention by people outside the USA, and often paint the impression that the US is a cool and fun place to be. Easy money, endless opportunities. You would be surprised how many US TV series are translated to dozens of different languages and are shown in countries outside the USA.

American music reaches all corners of the globe too, and I have yet to visit a place where people did not like to listen to a fair amount of American music. I went to a Motown soul concert a month or so ago and it made me homesick. Music is another powerful beacon that brings people to the US. It portrays a strong and cool image.

Any store I walk into in almost any country in the world sells clothing with phony USA theme shirts. Some are authentic brands like Hollister, but there are millions of shirts of made up University names, phony surfer theme shirts, weird phrased stuff about cities like NYC or LA. I went with a couple of lady friends into a store the other day. One of them was looking for a summer shirt for her son, and showed me a T-shirt that said Santa Ana with some palm trees. When I burst out laughing I had to explain that Santa Ana was not a fancy resort town in California, it is a fairly rough and crime-ridden city with a fair amount of gangs. The downtown courthouse square is overrun with homeless people. Yes, I had jury duty many times at the courthouse building. The point being, these T-shirts paint an image of the US that looks cool and attractive, so no wonder people think it is a place to go to.

That is how I figure that so many people want to come to the US from other countries, who might not have a whole lot of skills or education. TV, movies, music and T-shirts are to blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 05:57 AM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Really only two sentiments come to mind.

First, duh the United States. Why NOT the US?! Even in our doldrums we are an absolute powerhouse economically, and a place with rule of law instead of mobocracies or dictatorships, so yeah, of course we have a huge pull factor.

Second, the powers that be have zero incentive to change it. Democrats like the votes, republicans and democrats alike also enjoy the economic force multiplier here. COL is high, and we wonder why things aren’t made here?! Illegals offer an all-too-convenient pressure valve to allow us a level of growth we wouldn’t otherwise achieve.
Illegal aliens only enrich those who hire them. The rest of us have to pick up the tab for their social costs to the tune of over $100 billion a year and the overcrowded conditions, loss of jobs, higher prices, housing shortages and the added demands on our social and natural resources that they cause. Is that the kind of growth we should strive for?

Old 06-30-2023, 09:00 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Seeing some of the folks that are living in homeless encampments in democrat led cities, I might have to disagree with the above statement.
They are nomads, they are our homeless. There are at least 1/2 million of them. Sadly, once an illegal drops an anchor baby, they go to the top of the list for public housing/vouchers, as having a child makes them a priority over a single or a couple that are on the waiting list for housing. Also, many of these homeless have issues that need to be addressed, but there is no money for that, as the illegals and their anchors are sucking down billions of taxpayers dollars. We will have more homeless wandering the streets as they are displaced by illegals with anchors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Although fewer goods are manufactured now in the USA compared to a few decades ago, the US movie industry has been pumping out good films during all that time. Lots of those films reach all corners of the globe either to theaters, TV or even on-line video clips. Many of those films make the US look like a good and fun place, and that forms an image in the minds of people outside the US. Laugh as you please, but really, what other country has so many movies made that get global release?

TV programs come as a close second to movies in gaining attention by people outside the USA, and often paint the impression that the US is a cool and fun place to be. Easy money, endless opportunities. You would be surprised how many US TV series are translated to dozens of different languages and are shown in countries outside the USA.

American music reaches all corners of the globe too, and I have yet to visit a place where people did not like to listen to a fair amount of American music. I went to a Motown soul concert a month or so ago and it made me homesick. Music is another powerful beacon that brings people to the US. It portrays a strong and cool image.

Any store I walk into in almost any country in the world sells clothing with phony USA theme shirts. Some are authentic brands like Hollister, but there are millions of shirts of made up University names, phony surfer theme shirts, weird phrased stuff about cities like NYC or LA. I went with a couple of lady friends into a store the other day. One of them was looking for a summer shirt for her son, and showed me a T-shirt that said Santa Ana with some palm trees. When I burst out laughing I had to explain that Santa Ana was not a fancy resort town in California, it is a fairly rough and crime-ridden city with a fair amount of gangs. The downtown courthouse square is overrun with homeless people. Yes, I had jury duty many times at the courthouse building. The point being, these T-shirts paint an image of the US that looks cool and attractive, so no wonder people think it is a place to go to.

That is how I figure that so many people want to come to the US from other countries, who might not have a whole lot of skills or education. TV, movies, music and T-shirts are to blame.
Boy did you miss the mark! They come for freebies, once they drop 4 or 5 anchor babies that the taxpayers pay to deliver, educate, feed, house and provide medical care, they just kick back and pray for amnesty, as once that happens, the monthly checks will increase that the taxpayers send to their mailbox! These economic seeking illegals and fake asylum seekers probably never see the US movies, hear the US music, or watch US television, therefore you are really off base. Check the requirements with other countries! They don't provide freebies, and expect people to get a job. Mexico is willing to take these invaders, but they do background checks and have work requirements for them to remain in Mexico, which frankly, makes us look like idiots to allow what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Illegal aliens only enrich those who hire them. The rest of us have to pick up the tab for their social costs to the tune of over $100 billion a year and the overcrowded conditions, loss of jobs, higher prices, housing shortages and the added demands on our social and natural resources that they cause. Is that the kind of growth we should strive for?
Exactly! It is easy for those that are not impacted to not realize the horrendous burden these people are to our country, as some of the mouthy sanctuary cities started to back off once it actually bit them in the butt. They cost money, they break rules, they just keep coming............... Yeah, we told you so!

Old 06-30-2023, 09:02 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,467,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
Seeing some of the folks that are living in homeless encampments in democrat led cities, I might have to disagree with the above statement.
If it gets any worse, those cities will look like WV. Have you ever been there?

Old 07-01-2023, 12:15 PM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:
I’m not making a value judgment, that’s just my observation on the reality as I see it in this country.

Old 07-01-2023, 01:56 PM

62,879 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I’m not making a value judgment, that’s just my observation on the reality as I see it in this country.
There is no reality that illegal aliens create economic growth and are a net positive on our society.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:04 AM

6,223 posts, read 3,405,754 times
Quote:
There is no reality that illegal aliens create economic growth and are a net positive on our society.

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publica...taxpayers-2023

Old 07-07-2023, 08:45 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Voters are going to have to choose. America or corporations. They are NOT one and the same.

Corporations love population growth btw, especially since the tax payers are picking up the tab. Republicans seem very torn on this reality. This scenario is absolutely loved by democrats for the long term, especially.

Old 07-08-2023, 09:29 AM

8,485 posts, read 4,727,776 times
Quote:
Tell that to your leaders, not me. They’re the one acting as though it were a benefit to us all. Again, just piping to you my observations and not a value judgement or whether or not there’s any correctness to any statements or actions in fact or findings.

Old 07-08-2023, 10:06 AM

10,065 posts, read 7,231,566 times
I don't get why people want to come here. We don't have health care, if you get sick you go bankrupt. We have an enormous homeless problem. Everything about cost of living has skyrocketed in price. I don't see what's so great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration