Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 11:38 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,897,730 times

Advertisements

too many jobs that don't pay a liveable wage.

Yep...but agree with rantiquity here. It is not expected - by anyone - that EVERY job at every level and in every industry pay "a living wage." So 16-year-olds at Taco Bell should make $60K right out of the gate? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2023, 02:32 PM

26,044 posts, read 22,236,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
However you want to characterize it. If you have to pay your restaurant staff $20 an hour each, it's going to cost people more to eat there.
Then, they'll have to pay it or eat at home, because I am tired of my tax dollars subsidizing the restaurant by supplementing their illegal alien employees with benefits through their 5 or 6 anchor babies, who we deliver and provide the total array of welfare benefits to include housing for the entire family who steps to the front of the waiting list due to those with children having a preference. So, I don't want to supplement anyone's meals out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That cheap labor isn't so cheap when you factor in the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens costs us. The only ones who benefit from them are the greedy employers who hire them while the rest of us get the shaft in so many ways.
Exactly, and sadly those employers that do the right thing, and don't hire them, end up going out of business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
That is why an E-verify system should be a national requirement.
And, the reason it won't be is that those that stuff the pockets of the politicians do not want that as if they have to pay a living wage, they won't reap the same profits, and they really like all the benefits we provide for their employees without them spending a dime on them.

Quote:
If there are so many illegal workers, how is it we have such a labor shortage?
If you study how the unemployment rate is measured, you'll see that it is not based on any real world numbers, and neither are the jobs. Many of the jobs are temp and part-time, and the pay low enough that welfare is a better deal. We have the people, and if we started cutting welfare, they might be inspired to work!

Quote:
True...I went out to lunch yesterday and it cost over $40...for lunch, fish and chips and two beers.

But why isn't the influx of illegal alien driving down the wages....or is it the government driving up the wages?
I don't think a lot of them do restaurant work, as I think wage wise they do better in construction, and most try to work "under the table" or in places where they work in larger groups (safety in numbers - proven INS doesn't really show up anymore). Also, when they hire cheaper labor, did you think that was to make it cheaper for you to eat there? Yeah, that isn't why they do it.

Keep in mind that the cost of everything is up, the food, the cleaning supplies, energy, pots, pans,.........so, the cost is not entirely the cost of labor.

Quote:
Propaganda??? really, have you noticed most fast food restaurants have help wanted signs. Some restaurants are limiting their hours because they can find help. My question is when school let out why hasn't those students applying for open jobs. I am guessing video games and some plain laziness has some to do with it.
Exactly, "laziness". Mom and dad are willing to fund them, and even once they are grown, they'll expect the exact same living standards and wages that Mom and Dad spent years building up to, and when they don't get that, they'll sit here at city-data and whine endlessly about how unfair life is.

Quote:
I went to a Mexican place last weekend and it was $85 for 2 dinners, 2 drinks, and a dessert. Would have been $60 pre-pandemic.

We are getting illegals but they can't "officially" work at legitimate businesses. They work for cash where they can, which is a lot of options these days. That combined with demographic changes of fewer young people and Boomer retirements leaves us with a labor shortage.

Immigration could help if we had some kind of large scale guest worker program instead of the...well basically zero policy we have now.

If it were up to me, I'd have a program where anyone who needed a basic worker and can't find one in 8 weeks or something, could put in to sponsor guest workers. Go down and recruit among that mass of people hanging out at the border. They agree to work and take English classes for however much time, up to the sponsor to let law enforcement know if they're not complying.
NO! The business will not pay a living wage, which is the reason they already cannot recruit, and the taxpayers will cover their housing once they drop an anchor baby and their emergency medical needs, which I understand that they consider all care "emergency", and this does include delivering the anchor babies, and most have 5 or 6 who then draw welfare benefits.

Cut welfare for citizens, as doing the math, welfare is a pretty good deal. The money comes in at the same time every month, free medical, housing vouchers, extra cash assistance - no worries, and you can get up at noon and party until 2 AM. Also, they have added the free Obamaphones, and now internet service at a very, very reduced price, if not free.

If a business can't afford to pay a wage that attracts employees, what used to happen and still does with some employers, you edge the wage up until you reach a point where you are able to attract the job candidates that you need. This is basic business, and if they can't do that, they have failed.

Quote:
No, you don't have to pay anyone $20 an hour....just go out and find a couple illegal aliens who will work for $10 an hour. Without an E-verify what's the problem. Liberals are thinking that okay.
Yes, because liberals do "liberal math", and lack the ability to actually think on their own past what they just heard on social media.

Detain and deport per the law!

Old 08-01-2023, 02:40 PM

63,111 posts, read 29,291,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
too many jobs that don't pay a liveable wage.

Yep...but agree with rantiquity here. It is not expected - by anyone - that EVERY job at every level and in every industry pay "a living wage." So 16-year-olds at Taco Bell should make $60K right out of the gate? No.

You're missing the point! We should't be importing immigrants either legally or illegally for those kinds of jobs. We should only allow in immigrants for jobs that pay a living wage so that the taxpayer doesn't have to subsidize their social and living costs. There are far too many jobs in our country that are low paying and unnesessary anyway that can't be filled by Americans so they need to fold up and die. We don't need a burger joint on every corner, etc. For any of those low paying jobs remaining they can be filled by our American youth or those American adults wishing to supplement their income.

Old 08-01-2023, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Whoa....you should really rethink the above highlighted ^^so someone just out of high school has to have a job with a living wage?
Or should they just lay around playing video games until some one offers them a living wage job?
Most people I know started at the bottom and worked their way up. Some hard times...you bet but those hard times were an instinctive to work hard and prove yourself and then to move up. My first job paid $1.25 an hour and I was glad to have it, I worked hard and when I move on I was the second highest paid employee.
Of course gas was about 12-15 cents gallon and a hamburger was about a quarter. So you can see what high wages are and has done to the prices of everything.
See my post #73

Old 08-01-2023, 03:22 PM

6,288 posts, read 3,441,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're missing the point! We should't be importing immigrants either legally or illegally for those kinds of jobs. We should only allow in immigrants for jobs that pay a living wage so that the taxpayer doesn't have to subsidize their social and living costs. There are far too many jobs in our country that are low paying and unnesessary anyway that can't be filled by Americans so they need to fold up and die. We don't need a burger joint on every corner, etc. For any of those low paying jobs remaining they can be filled by our American youth or those American adults wishing to supplement their income.
Wrong for two reasons^^^ I have no problem with legal immigrants as long as its done using the merit system and not base on financial need or family ties. If the system was done on merit only, legal immigrant would most like qualify for living wage jobs, otherwise the government would be pick up the bill with our tax money as it is now.

Two: with all the open jobs this summer I don't see high school kids filling them. In my town the majority of fast food restaurants they have 'help wanted signs' and most have close their dinning room areas.

Old 08-01-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Wrong for two reasons^^^ I have no problem with legal immigrants as long as its done using the merit system and not base on financial need or family ties. If the system was done on merit only, legal immigrant would most like qualify for living wage jobs, otherwise the government would be pick up the bill with our tax money as it is now.

Two: with all the open jobs this summer I don't see high school kids filling them. In my town the majority of fast food restaurants they have 'help wanted signs' and most have close their dinning room areas.
Wrong? I'm the one that said initially that we should only allow legal immigrants in for living waged jobs so the only thing we disagree on is bringing in immigrants for low waged jobs for the summer. How are they going to pay their rent and other living expenses?

Did you miss the part of my post where I said we don't need a burger joint and other low paying jobs on every corner? Far too many fast food restaurants and bringing in immigrants to fill them even for just the summer is not wise based on my second paragraph. Many of them would not go home when they are supposed to either.

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-01-2023 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-02-2023, 06:24 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,496,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Why the United States?

Because our rulers and overlords have deemed that we should be the primary host to all of the Third World's immigrants. Both political parties want this so.
Poor people have been trying to move to wealthier countries for thousands of years and the nativists have always been opposed to it. Books tell us these things.
In the 1850s, Irish churches were burned in Philadelphia.
Who and what the overlords are, I have no idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philad...nativist_riots

Old 08-02-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Poor people have been trying to move to wealthier countries for thousands of years and the nativists have always been opposed to it. Books tell us these things.
In the 1850s, Irish churches were burned in Philadelphia.
Who and what the overlords are, I have no idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philad...nativist_riots
We've been opposed to it? How so? We allow in over 1 million legal immigrants a year so you were saying? Where's the nativism?

Old 08-23-2023, 11:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,348,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Although fewer goods are manufactured now in the USA compared to a few decades ago, the US movie industry has been pumping out good films during all that time. Lots of those films reach all corners of the globe either to theaters, TV or even on-line video clips. Many of those films make the US look like a good and fun place, and that forms an image in the minds of people outside the US. Laugh as you please, but really, what other country has so many movies made that get global release?

TV programs come as a close second to movies in gaining attention by people outside the USA, and often paint the impression that the US is a cool and fun place to be. Easy money, endless opportunities. You would be surprised how many US TV series are translated to dozens of different languages and are shown in countries outside the USA.

American music reaches all corners of the globe too, and I have yet to visit a place where people did not like to listen to a fair amount of American music. I went to a Motown soul concert a month or so ago and it made me homesick. Music is another powerful beacon that brings people to the US. It portrays a strong and cool image.

Any store I walk into in almost any country in the world sells clothing with phony USA theme shirts. Some are authentic brands like Hollister, but there are millions of shirts of made up University names, phony surfer theme shirts, weird phrased stuff about cities like NYC or LA. I went with a couple of lady friends into a store the other day. One of them was looking for a summer shirt for her son, and showed me a T-shirt that said Santa Ana with some palm trees. When I burst out laughing I had to explain that Santa Ana was not a fancy resort town in California, it is a fairly rough and crime-ridden city with a fair amount of gangs. The downtown courthouse square is overrun with homeless people. Yes, I had jury duty many times at the courthouse building. The point being, these T-shirts paint an image of the US that looks cool and attractive, so no wonder people think it is a place to go to.

That is how I figure that so many people want to come to the US from other countries, who might not have a whole lot of skills or education. TV, movies, music and T-shirts are to blame.
I agree with you 100%. We export American culture. Films, telly, etc. generally do not give a very accurate picture of life in the U.S. If they did, they would be called documentaries, and no one would pay at the box office to see them.

They all should watch this topnotch series on real life working class in America (Hard Earned), and then see how anxious they are to come here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51aB...LKpeYF&index=1

Old 08-23-2023, 11:33 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,348,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
They are nomads, they are our homeless. There are at least 1/2 million of them. Sadly, once an illegal drops an anchor baby, they go to the top of the list for public housing/vouchers, as having a child makes them a priority over a single or a couple that are on the waiting list for housing. Also, many of these homeless have issues that need to be addressed, but there is no money for that, as the illegals and their anchors are sucking down billions of taxpayers dollars. We will have more homeless wandering the streets as they are displaced by illegals with anchors.

Boy did you miss the mark! They come for freebies, once they drop 4 or 5 anchor babies that the taxpayers pay to deliver, educate, feed, house and provide medical care, they just kick back and pray for amnesty, as once that happens, the monthly checks will increase that the taxpayers send to their mailbox! These economic seeking illegals and fake asylum seekers probably never see the US movies, hear the US music, or watch US television, therefore you are really off base. Check the requirements with other countries! They don't provide freebies, and expect people to get a job. Mexico is willing to take these invaders, but they do background checks and have work requirements for them to remain in Mexico, which frankly, makes us look like idiots to allow what is happening.

Exactly! It is easy for those that are not impacted to not realize the horrendous burden these people are to our country, as some of the mouthy sanctuary cities started to back off once it actually bit them in the butt. They cost money, they break rules, they just keep coming............... Yeah, we told you so!
I totally agree with your first two points bolded above, but I disagree with the third one. The U.S. exports its culture like no other country in the world. I was listening to an interview with one of the actors from "The Nanny" telly series a few years ago, and he commented how Fran Drescher, no matter where she went to vacation including tiny remote islands where no one spoke much English, was instantly recognised and swamped by fans. He said the show's success meant its stars had few if any places they could go in the world and not be recognised and mobbed.

What is true of films and telly is true of music, too. Just look at the touring schedules of many of our most popular singers/bands. They give concerts all over the world.

As for clothing, I watched a documentary only recently about the TONS and TONS of used clothing from the U.S. that gets shipped to third world countries. We do the same with even greater amounts of our "recyclable" plastics that are so expensive to recycle that no one does it. That industry sure raped the world's environment.

The problem is not only that people the world over believe U.S. propanda about how great is the U.S. but Americans believe it, too. The fact is the U.S. rates quite low on a lot of socio-economic indices, and we know that even though taxes may be much higher in some other countries (think Scandinavia for example), their quality of life if much higher for ALL their citizens. They just do not export their culture and their propaganda the way the U.S. does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration