Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2023, 08:07 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,259,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
True...I went out to lunch yesterday and it cost over $40...for lunch, fish and chips and two beers.

But why isn't the influx of illegal alien driving down the wages....or is it the government driving up the wages?
I went to a Mexican place last weekend and it was $85 for 2 dinners, 2 drinks, and a dessert. Would have been $60 pre-pandemic.

We are getting illegals but they can't "officially" work at legitimate businesses. They work for cash where they can, which is a lot of options these days. That combined with demographic changes of fewer young people and Boomer retirements leaves us with a labor shortage.

Immigration could help if we had some kind of large scale guest worker program instead of the...well basically zero policy we have now.

If it were up to me, I'd have a program where anyone who needed a basic worker and can't find one in 8 weeks or something, could put in to sponsor guest workers. Go down and recruit among that mass of people hanging out at the border. They agree to work and take English classes for however much time, up to the sponsor to let law enforcement know if they're not complying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2023, 10:23 AM

6,274 posts, read 3,427,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
However you want to characterize it. If you have to pay your restaurant staff $20 an hour each, it's going to cost people more to eat there.
No, you don't have to pay anyone $20 an hour....just go out and find a couple illegal aliens who will work for $10 an hour. Without an E-verify what's the problem. Liberals are thinking that okay.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I went to a Mexican place last weekend and it was $85 for 2 dinners, 2 drinks, and a dessert. Would have been $60 pre-pandemic.

We are getting illegals but they can't "officially" work at legitimate businesses. They work for cash where they can, which is a lot of options these days. That combined with demographic changes of fewer young people and Boomer retirements leaves us with a labor shortage.

Immigration could help if we had some kind of large scale guest worker program instead of the...well basically zero policy we have now.

If it were up to me, I'd have a program where anyone who needed a basic worker and can't find one in 8 weeks or something, could put in to sponsor guest workers. Go down and recruit among that mass of people hanging out at the border. They agree to work and take English classes for however much time, up to the sponsor to let law enforcement know if they're not complying.
Highlighted above: not true the United States has a vary liberal migrate worker policy...its called the green card system and the card is good for ten years. But I can almost guarantee that after ten year no one will care if they stay longer.
https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/08/h...card-good-for/

Old 07-30-2023, 01:21 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,223,046 times
We have no labor shortage just far too many jobs that don't pay a liveable wage. Too many burger joints and other low paying jobs and since they don't pay a liveable wage why should we import immigrants to do them whereby their living and social costs would have to be subsidized by the taxpayer? We are already having to do that with these millions of illegal aliens here and it's costing us over $100 billion a year. The only ones who benefit from them are the greedy employers who hire them.

Most demographic change has been via illegal immigration these days and that's neither natural nor lawful. We don't have to replace the boomer generation anyway. A smaller population for a smaller economy is much healthier for everyone. Less stress on our natural and social resources and less demands for affordable housing.

Those who have violated our immigration laws or are attempting to shouldn't even be considered for work here. The show a lack of character and many of them have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion already. We shouldn't be importing the poor, unskilled and uneducated into our country for anything! They are a burden on our society.

Old 07-30-2023, 01:24 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
No, you don't have to pay anyone $20 an hour....just go out and find a couple illegal aliens who will work for $10 an hour. Without an E-verify what's the problem. Liberals are thinking that okay.
Illegals are already costing us over $100 billion a year so what's the plus side for the average Americans? That cheap labor isn't so cheap after all, is it?

They have taken once good paying construction jobs from Americans to. They aren't all working in restaurants or picking crops, etc.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:02 PM

39,884 posts, read 26,558,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That cheap labor isn't so cheap when you factor in the over $100 billion a year that illegal aliens costs us. The only ones who benefit from them are the greedy employers who hire them while the rest of us get the shaft in so many ways.
Absolutely agree. We have lots of greedy people employing housekeepers, gardeners, pool cleaners, let alone construction workers, landscapers, hotel and cleaning staff that should be in prison. We need to mandate universal e-verify, and make ID theft (including by illegals") a felony.

Coming to the original question-why the US? Are there any other countries as lax on enforcing immigration laws, and any other taxpayers that reward foreign criminals and faux "asylum seekers" as generously as the US?

Old 07-31-2023, 12:23 PM

11,622 posts, read 6,078,840 times
Why the United States?

Because our rulers and overlords have deemed that we should be the primary host to all of the Third World's immigrants. Both political parties want this so.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
If there are so many illegal workers, how is it we have such a labor shortage?
Because 99% of illegal only skill is using a leave blower.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We have no labor shortage just far too many jobs that don't pay a liveable wage. Too many burger joints and other low paying jobs and since they don't pay a liveable wage why should we import immigrants to do them whereby their living and social costs would have to be subsidized by the taxpayer? We are already having to do that with these millions of illegal aliens here and it's costing us over $100 billion a year. The only ones who benefit from them are the greedy employers who hire them.

Most demographic change has been via illegal immigration these days and that's neither natural nor lawful. We don't have to replace the boomer generation anyway. A smaller population for a smaller economy is much healthier for everyone. Less stress on our natural and social resources and less demands for affordable housing.

Those who have violated our immigration laws or are attempting to shouldn't even be considered for work here. The show a lack of character and many of them have committed felony ID theft and/or tax evasion already. We shouldn't be importing the poor, unskilled and uneducated into our country for anything! They are a burden on our society.
Whoa....you should really rethink the above highlighted ^^so someone just out of high school has to have a job with a living wage?
Or should they just lay around playing video games until some one offers them a living wage job?
Most people I know started at the bottom and worked their way up. Some hard times...you bet but those hard times were an instinctive to work hard and prove yourself and then to move up. My first job paid $1.25 an hour and I was glad to have it, I worked hard and when I move on I was the second highest paid employee.
Of course gas was about 12-15 cents gallon and a hamburger was about a quarter. So you can see what high wages are and has done to the prices of everything.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:17 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,301,514 times
I think much of the world looks at the U.S. as a free-for-all. Frankly it's kind of offensive to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration