Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times

Advertisements

That is fine to quote statistics. But MFI is skewed. In Florida nearly ALL of those areas you delineate are upscale. Many living there are retired, and do not contribute to any work- they have discretionary income. I lived in Surfside, Key Biscayne and Aventura. NO ONE living there could afford to be making less than 60k. It is an area without infrastructure. Statistics DONT prove reality when you address income. Especially in South Florida.

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,676 times
Forgive me for butting in ....& no I don't speak loud, nor passionately with hands rolling in the air. I speak these things in a very soft spoken normal tone, believe it or not. Sometimes, I cannot even contain my laughter on some things .
Seriously now, for crying out loud why do so many have blinders on when it comes to spanish speakers?? Is it that everyone sees them dark or waiting on corners looking for jobs like they see in the media? It's like people take media clips, form a picture in their mind, take it as gospel, lump all in one group & view them all like a bunch of beggars or illegal immigrants trying to jump a fence.
My husband and I are a white spanish speaking couple (& if I were dark, I'd be happy with that, too). My side has been around these parts for centuries, so should I leave now because I happen to speak spanish? What is this nonsense?? It's only a language - a way to communicate & nothing else. We are luckily not poor and have never ever taken a dime from this govt., nor expect anyone to give us anything - all the contrary. We are very patriotic, my husband is an ex-marine and a very successful professional, too. I have Cuban neighbors (& other nationalities, too) that have broken their backs, so to speak and have gotten their doctorates, engineering, architectual, accountanting degrees (U.S. degrees ), some own business', one is a magazine editor and we all are law abiding U.S. citizens, pay taxes, and vote like any ole' American.

Last edited by lulu; 02-01-2007 at 06:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 PM

355 posts, read 842,534 times
Does it matter if they're retired or not? The point was to show that wealth is not concentrated within a single race/ethnicity and Hispanic individuals can afford to live in upscale areas. I had to use MFI as it was the only statistic consistently available among each city's data. Had median home prices been available, I would have used those.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
they need to speak English even if they are just trying
There are a lot of people here LEGALLY who don't speak English -- People on tourist visas, work visas, refugees, people with green cards, people who have amnesty, people born in Puerto Rico... There is no requirement to speak English in this country!

I know one couple who have been here nearly 30 years. They are LEGAL. They do not speak English (but their kids do). They both can read English and speak a little bit -- but very little.

It drives me absolutely crazy that people think they can spot illegals simply because they don't speak English. I've known several illegals who spoke perfect English -- better English than most Americans speak! (One was from London, another from Canada!)

Old 02-02-2007, 12:56 AM

172 posts, read 309,343 times
It's amazing! But I guess that's human nature.

Such a vile thread.

For illegal, read non-white. Because that's what you mean. You want to know if where you can live without having to encounter those darker hued folks.

Such a shame that in the 21st century we still have bigots like this.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:18 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
Someone tell me where I can move that the illegals have not took over.
They devaluate the property here, they stand in huddles waiting on work or whatever.
My wife is scared to go in the local market, she says they stare and make comments.
My high schoolers can't get part time jobs, they are taken.
I could go on and on, but I have had enough and just want to move.
Further in this big long thread, you explain your wife and kids all speak Spanish and are of Spanish descent....

So....

Why can't your kids find jobs? They speak Spanish. This makes NO sense to me. A lot of employers are looking for bilingual people, particularly in fast food and retail.

Why is your wife scared to go in the local market? She speaks their language. Can't she talk up? Speak for herself? Let them know that she knows what they are saying? I've never known a Spanish woman who has not had the fire inside to tell them where to go. Hispanic men think they are macho, but the women know how to handle them. If your wife would be bold enough to single one of them out and tell him what a clown he is, she would get the respect of all of them.

Anyway, your post makes no sense to me. Are the illegals where you are Hmong or something other than Hispanic? Do you live where the illegals are all Asian?

Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,035 times
I never said there weren't any rich Hispanics. I said that Hispanics, by large, are lower class. And that cannot be argued.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:37 AM

You know you hit a point that has had my 'knickers in a knot' for quite some time.
I have noticed we have illegals from N. of the border, like Canada here in Miami - that own hotels, etc. for quite some time.
Some of our illegals, not all, like Mexicans that do agricultural work in Homestead have been complaining about this issue for a while - even came out in the Herald 3-4 yrs. ago.

They claim they are being hounded because they look different. They say that these white illegal's are left alone due to their skin color cause they pass as a regular Anglo or any white person walking about and the INS does nothing to them.

Let me tell you a little story that happened at a friends job...one of the boss' there was a Canadian & not a U.S. citizen - had been living here for 20+ yrs. Then one day he had the audacity to demean a white spanish speaking person w/an accent (Cuban U.S. citizen, nonethless for 40+ yrs), in front of everyone, saying things like, " I am your boss here...your people should go back (like if they could)... blah, blah, yada, yada, yada...". Of course, the Cuban didn't shut up as they are not dumb & gave him an earful & rightfully so. Anyhow, he was like in a state of shock & thankfully never did it again & treated this person w/respect & dignity to the very end. Sometimes, I've wondered if he was afraid of being deported or something. Well, that's in the past.
Anyhow, I wonder at times...and my point is this: Could it really be that they are only targeting due to physical characteristics or even a language if even the person is white?? Does this seem fair?? Is the problem really a prejudice against a language, race, culture or really the immigrant status that bothers some .. what is it really?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Default Me too

My area of southern California where I was born and raised has become unacceptable to live, largely because of illegal immigrants and all the social ills they bring. Not too many where I live now (upper midwest), but a growing number, and sure enough the social problems grow in proportion to their numbers.
30% of all federal prison inmates are illegal immigrants. Somewhere between 1200-1300 Americans are murdered every year by illegal immigrants. I've also seen stats indicating their rates of rape, armed robbery, etc., are very disproportionately high. They've caused numerous problems in my area despite relatively small numbers. Here, very often the week's local "most wanted" by the US Marshal's Service is an illegal.
These things are all you need to know. Illegal immigration is NOT good, not desirable, and I'll gladly pay more for vegetables, dining out, or whatever, for this problem to be taken care of.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:01 AM

I live in Coral Gables, FL and this place is far from run down, nor do we have gangs running about or whatnot - as a matter of fact it's very, very nice & beautiful. Prices keep going 'up & up...' as it's a sought after place. You know, lots happen to speak spanish and are legal, too... we also have tons of other nationalities from all over the world. It's funny how we all get along beautifully.
Come on people, take those blinders off..and see people for what they really are. I will not fall for this, "well, they look like...or they speak whatever...". For Gods sakes not everyone is the same. Let's stop the stereotyping...ummm...let me check my surroundings, this is the U.S. no??? Though seriously, I can understand not having a main communication language to keep us glued together, you know to get along better, as afterall we do need to communicate to know what we are thinking or even feeling....and I also can understand the issue of illegals, as the floodgates can't be open to whomever. forever & ever amen.. and I'm not giving up the yard I have left, I do need my space afterall.
Ok, I'm outta here...and no I don't angry at all. I don't think I was even born with that anger or hate gene, and I do love you all no matter what, even the ones that hate my language .

Last edited by lulu; 02-02-2007 at 09:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration