Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:08 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,685,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
I live in Coral Gables, FL and this place is far from run down, nor do we have gangs running about or whatnot - as a matter of fact it's very, very nice & beautiful. Prices keep going 'up & up...' as it's a sought after place. You know, lots happen to speak spanish and are legal, too... we also have tons of other nationalities from all over the world. It's funny how we all get along beautifully.
Come on people, take those blinders off..and see people for what they really are. I will not fall for this, "well, they look like...or they speak whatever...". For Gods sakes not everyone is the same. Let's stop the stereotyping...ummm...let me check my surroundings, this is the U.S. no??? Though seriously, I can understand not having a main communication language to keep us glued together, you know to get along better, as afterall we do need to communicate to know what we are thinking or even feeling....and I also can understand the issue of illegals, as the floodgates can't be open to whomever. forever & ever amen.. and I'm not giving up the yard I have left, I do need my space afterall.
Ok, I'm outta here...and no I don't angry at all. I don't think I was even born with that anger or hate gene, and I do love you all no matter what, even the ones that hate my language .

I dont hate spanish. but you seem to have a great grasp on English and can communicate nicely, it's the ones that are illegal, that do not want to assimulate and the ones that are taking advantage of us , the ones that refuse to learn english and expect us to learn spanish that I have issues with. I dont hate them, I hate what they do. there are plenty of hard working hspanics and cubans and all others that do want to be part of america, wether they are on a work visa or student visa or what have you, thats not what i have issues with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,174,435 times
What I find that is difficult to take is when you make a phone call some place, and we now have a choice on either being spoken to in English of Spanish, now last time I checked we were living in an English speaking state.
Since when do we have to learn their language, in order to be able to understand them???? They have came to our land, so why are they not learning our language?????
Why is it after so many years we are the ones that are forced into making changes??? Taking Christ out of Christmas, Not saying the Pledge of Allegience in school, Not being to have a Halloween party at school, it is now called Fall Festival, just to name a few, but why should our generation have to make changes when we have lived this way since we were born.
I believe in adding in some changes, but there is no need to take away our childhoods, and now say what they did back then was wrong, taking our beliefs away for what the USA stands for, we no longer have freedom, when they take away our rights, our beliefs, and our childhoods. I say something is not right in this world, and it is not the Americans that have lived here all of their lives. Sorry had to say my peace.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,175,194 times
I love immigrants, especially those spicy Latin women!

Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie_Mom View Post
What I find that is difficult to take is when you make a phone call some place, and we now have a choice on either being spoken to in English of Spanish, now last time I checked we were living in an English speaking state.
What I hate even worse is when you get transferred to someone in India that you can barely understand.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,369,611 times
Quote:
Since when do we have to learn their language, in order to be able to understand them???? They have came to our land, so why are they not learning our language?????

Is this a business or government that you’re talking about. If it is government, well that is a long debate. However for business, it is easy, business is about money and greed, for the most part, and if the customer speaks spanish and has money, the business will cater to that.

Quote:
Why is it after so many years we are the ones that are forced into making changes??? Taking Christ out of Christmas,
No one said you had to take Christ out of your own personal Christmas celebration. Besides, Christ was never a part of the winter festival celebrations. It was a pagan holiday that later got “adopted†by the church.

Quote:
Not saying the Pledge of Allegience in school,
What’s wrong with going back to the original version of the pledge before it had the “under God†inserted. It seemed to work just fine for 50 years when it was originally drafted by a Baptist Minister without the “under God†wording. The all original pledge written by a minister worked just fine but later generations changed it.

Quote:
Not being to have a Halloween party at school, it is now called Fall Festival, just to name a few, but
I’d rather have my children go to school to learn. The Halloween parties are fine for after school activies. I’d rather enforce learning and education in school not parties to see who looks scary or cool.

Quote:
why should our generation have to make changes when we have lived this way since we were born.
I believe in adding in some changes, but there is no need to take away our childhoods, and now say what they did back then was wrong, taking our beliefs away for what the USA stands for, we no longer have freedom,
Let’s see, every generation seems to make changes to each tradition. Look at the actual history of the pledge from the language to the original salute. It changed over time by a different generation. Traditions change and evolve.

Quote:
when they take away our rights, our beliefs, and our childhoods. I say something is not right in this world, and it is not the Americans that have lived here all of their lives. Sorry had to say my peace.
What particular “right†is being taken away? Is having a halloween party at school a right? Can you name one lawsuit regarding the pledge of allegiance, or holiday decorations being instagated by some non-citizen?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:06 PM

109 posts, read 210,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Further in this big long thread, you explain your wife and kids all speak Spanish and are of Spanish descent....

So....

Why can't your kids find jobs? They speak Spanish. This makes NO sense to me. A lot of employers are looking for bilingual people, particularly in fast food and retail.

Why is your wife scared to go in the local market? She speaks their language. Can't she talk up? Speak for herself? Let them know that she knows what they are saying? I've never known a Spanish woman who has not had the fire inside to tell them where to go. Hispanic men think they are macho, but the women know how to handle them. If your wife would be bold enough to single one of them out and tell him what a clown he is, she would get the respect of all of them.

Anyway, your post makes no sense to me. Are the illegals where you are Hmong or something other than Hispanic? Do you live where the illegals are all Asian?
In reference to your response: My children have recently became working age, the jobs they could get are already filled.
My wife is only half Spainish and was born in the U.S. by very christian parents, therefore she chooses not to comment back to vulgar comments.
I would have to believe the majority of American women would handle the situation the same.
Our culture does not, for the most part, have men standing around spouting comments.
Maybe your wife chooses to stand and converse about such comments, mine chooses not to, if this is the case I can see why you don't understand.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:21 PM

83 posts, read 326,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Races in Alpena Michigan:

* White Non-Hispanic (97.2%)
* American Indian (1.0%)
* Two or more races (0.9%)
* Hispanic (0.6%)

Oh dayum.. I gave away the secret.. sorry.
I think the original post meant illegals. Post did not ask about race...
Can you give us the illegal count, please?

Last edited by Ellyg; 02-03-2007 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-03-2007, 05:05 PM

83 posts, read 326,404 times
Default Complaining?

[quote=Yorkie_Mom;329062][color="Indigo"][b]What I find that is difficult to take is when you make a phone call some place, and we now have a choice on either being spoken to in English of Spanish, now last time I checked we were living in an English speaking state.

At least you have a choice. In other countries you have no choices...enjoy the choice given and stop complaining.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:09 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,192,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfecttan01 View Post
In reference to your response: My children have recently became working age, the jobs they could get are already filled.
My wife is only half Spainish and was born in the U.S. by very christian parents, therefore she chooses not to comment back to vulgar comments.
I would have to believe the majority of American women would handle the situation the same.
Our culture does not, for the most part, have men standing around spouting comments.
Maybe your wife chooses to stand and converse about such comments, mine chooses not to, if this is the case I can see why you don't understand.
I am a white American woman, 0% Spanish, born in the US. Most women I know who can speak Spanish would not hesitate to speak up. Oh, and white men do it too if they think they can get away with it. Hasn't your wife ever walked by a construction site?

She may choose not to talk back, but that's her own personal issue. Moving to a new area will not solve it.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:14 PM

989 posts, read 5,929,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I love immigrants, especially those spicy Latin women!
(normally I don't play politically correct police)

that's racism!
You offended white and black girls-you should be ashamed of yourself. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration