Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM

219 posts, read 425,575 times

Advertisements

This is from our local newspaper here in Salt Lake City, as I read it I thought, that is great, that is the kind of people we need but then I thought it is always the older generation that is willing to do so much, you don't see that kind of resolve with the younger generation. Do you think your tax dollars are well spent in a program like this? How about if he was illegal?

Rolly: Man sacrificed much just to learn English - Salt Lake Tribune

Last edited by AnnaGrrrrrl; 07-07-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 12:21 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,596,807 times
The article never said what this man's status was, so there is no knowing whether he was legal or not. I applaud this man for his dedication in learning the language of this country, and wish ALL immigrants, legal or otherwise, would demonstrate that same resolve.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:25 PM

Sorry I worded that weird, I will fix that.
I don't know either, but I am just asking IF he was would it be worth it?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,651,968 times
I applaud the mans dedication. By doing so much to learn English, I would hazzard a guess he is serious about being a good citizen of his new country.
If he were illegal, I admit I would still admire his zest for learning English.....and I hope that after he is deported he will be granted a visa and will be able to reenter the country legally. And I imagine so would he.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Nice article but never a word of immigration. Tax dollars well spent for those wanting and sacrificing to learn English. Never discourage education and self improvement.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:54 PM

HoustonCynic, my point in posting this article is that an immigrant (I say immigrant because 1) he is not from here 2) he doesn't know the language - most Americans already know the language - I hope!) whether he be legal or illegal he busted his butt to learn the language and graduate. If everyone were that insistant on learning the language and assimilating then I don't think anyone would be complaining - granted they were legal.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
HoustonCynic, my point in posting this article is that an immigrant (I say immigrant because 1) he is not from here 2) he doesn't know the language - most Americans already know the language - I hope!) whether he be legal or illegal he busted his butt to learn the language and graduate. If everyone were that insistant on learning the language and assimilating then I don't think anyone would be complaining - granted they were legal.
So by your logic - English speaking tourists/visitors who overstay their visas and have no intention on returning to their country are ok and have a leg up on all the non-English? That's consistent. What happened to illegal is illegal... period!

Old 07-12-2008, 02:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,496,728 times
That's the kind of story I like to hear. Teaching him English (and him learning it) is worth the taxpayers' expense because in the long run we all benefit from an educated populace. He can do something with this education. Maybe not a lot, but certainly more than before.

I figure he could turn around and teach members of his family English at home without cost to the taxpayer. Like planting a seed...or showing a man how to fish versus giving him a fish.

If he is illegal, we could always throw him in jail but then how much does jail cost versus English classes?

Old 07-12-2008, 02:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
So by your logic - English speaking tourists/visitors who overstay their visas and have no intention on returning to their country are ok and have a leg up on all the non-English? That's consistent. What happened to illegal is illegal... period!
I read the article.

At no time did it state that Eugenio Gonzalez was even a Latino let alone an illegal immigrant-------hell, he could have been a US born Filipino but raised in Manila.

Needless to say; I am quite anti illegal immigrant.....

Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,496,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I read the article.

At no time did it state that Eugenio Gonzalez was even a Latino let alone an illegal immigrant-------hell, he could have been a US born Filipino but raised in Manila.

Needless to say; I am quite anti illegal immigrant.....
Or, he could have been a native-born American who never had the benefit of a decent education...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration