Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:28 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

How does this happen? The illegal was hired illegally, the company hired him illegally. You would think since all this was done illegally there would be no legal standing in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Even a prostitute can file rape charges, I suppose.....

Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
This country becomes more like The Twilight Zone everyday. Next, we’ll have drug dealers pressing charges for theft of their wares. I heard today, a judge refused to accept guilty pleas from two illegal aliens charged with stealing SSN’s. He said he wasn’t sure they had committed a crime. Now, I guess we’ll have a free-for-all on identity theft…..as long as a U.S. citizen doesn’t commit the crime.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
I only read part of the article, but it appears that the Day Laborer can sue the employer for being "abused."

I'm all for it. Once these scandals (employers) realize that they can no longer import slave labor perhaps this whole fiasco will end.

Doesn't anyone else against illegal immigration agree with me that these employers are exploiting these people, as well as American citizens?

I'm curious to hear your responses.

IMO, the employers are the main reason this problem exist. The dangling carrot, so to speak.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I read the whole article, I don't see "abuse" in your terms, I do see illegal labor and non-payment for said labor... if you had sex with a prostitute and not paid her for her services, does the prostitute have a right to sue you for the illegal activity? I would say no. Now if the client abused the prostitute, she can sue him for assault and battery but as far as I can tell, there was no "abuse" going on... they just didn't pay him (which although ethically wrong, is not "abuse"). I think businesses are exploiting illegal immigrants... they should be dealt with firmly...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
just as robbing and harming illegals is illegal so is pocketing their wages. yes robbing the defenseless is a crime.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Yes, one illegal act does not make another right. They should have recourse and should be paid......and then promptly deported.

As for the business all I can say is fines, fines, and more fines as well as jail sentences for the owners.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I only read part of the article, but it appears that the Day Laborer can sue the employer for being "abused."

I'm all for it. Once these scandals (employers) realize that they can no longer import slave labor perhaps this whole fiasco will end.

Doesn't anyone else against illegal immigration agree with me that these employers are exploiting these people, as well as American citizens?

I'm curious to hear your responses.

IMO, the employers are the main reason this problem exist. The dangling carrot, so to speak.
Absolutely....I thought we all agreed on this. The employers are definitely a big part of the problem.

The disagreement seems to be between those who feel the lure of employment "made" the illegals come (as if they couldn't 'help themselves') or if the illegals are willing partners in a whole 'under the table' industry, and are conscious participants in their own 'exploitation'.

But I've never heard ANYONE suggest employers aren't guilty...only that, fotr some of us, it seems ONLY the employers are guilty.

Another point that comes up, too, is this...GIVEN that these employers seek illegal help, because they supposedly 'can't AFFORD' to pay legal wages and grant legal benefits....(and if they COULD, we ALL know that of COURSE, they'd hire Americans..or legal aliens)...THEN, the question arises, "Do these employers REALLY want their 'help' to be legalized"? Do the 'forces of Big Business', in other words, honestly want an amnesty? Because wouldn't an amnesty make their own illegal workforce become suddenly 'unaffordable' to their employers? (You know...the employers who can't 'afford' to pay the going wage rate)?....

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,247,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Even a prostitute can file rape charges, I suppose.....
But she might have a hard time proving it in a court of law. You know, just saying...

Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
But she might have a hard time proving it in a court of law. You know, just saying...
Maybe so...however, I'm sure this has PLENTY of precedent. No doubt at all, though I can't quote a specific case. Similar to how you could be prosecuted for robbing a truckload of stolen goods. The trucker's crime would in no way negate your responsibility for your own crime.

This is pretty standard throughout all American law, I'm pretty certain.

BTW, I have NO problem at all with an illegal alien wanti8ng to be paid his agreed-upon wage. (before he gets deported). Around this area, years ago, certain low-lifes would round up a crew, work them hard all week, and Friday afternoon, would call "la Migra"....and "presto"...the crew gets apprehended, and you've just gotten a week's 'free labor'.

Needless to say, the law took a VERY dim view of this, and I recall that several people were prosecuted for such 'shenanigans'...(and rumor has it that at least one was murdered, by one of his 'disgruntled employees' who managed to return about a month after 'the incident') American criminal law does NOT allow one criminal to victimize another...that's pretty much a 'given'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration