Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:58 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
With due respect AMC, as I have stated in other post I grew up with American/Mexican people (who I dearly love to this day)
and they NEVER considered the term gringo to be affacinate and fun loving.
Maybe Oklahoma Spanish is just translated different than Arizona Spanish.
Any way my point is , any white boy that gets called gringo better stiffen his back or just be considered a *****

It is also interesting that the spanish/english translator blocks giving a literal meaning so the just reconfirms this is a derogatory slang

In Mexico especially it is mostly considered a negative slang directed to WHITE Americans................

I was always told and did commonly consider it to be a Mexican version of white n----r

Thats just whjat I have been told for the last 50 years and by Mexican americas so........................
In all fairness: there is a restaurant chain here in Arizona named 'Old Gringo'------and, Boston is referred to Bean Town (I am surprised that MEChA and its sister loser groups have not taken offence to that nic )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

299 posts, read 547,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: there is a restaurant chain here in Arizona named 'Old Gringo'------and, Boston is referred to Bean Town (I am surprised that MEChA and its sister loser groups have not taken offence to that nic )
My goodness, give them time. They have too much on their plate at this time with so many cities and states making new laws against them.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Gringo pretty much means foreigner. Calling a person "gringo" can be in good fun. I don't know how many people call each "alien" though.
I laugh when White American people call racism. The victim hat isn't a good fit.

So would you think calling someone "pepper belly", "speedy Gonzales", "Frito Bandito" etc. would all be in good fun?

Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
So would you think calling someone "pepper belly", "speedy Gonzales", "Frito Bandito" etc. would all be in good fun?
Suposedly in Australia the Frito Bandito logo is still used...........

Hell; for that matter; Bimbo, the Mexican pastry conglomorate-----that word is a rather derogatory term towards to women here in the USA is openly sold.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:42 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
I do think it would be in good fun, you maybe should lighten up.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
Interesting,your fondness for gringo. I don't personally know any Americans that have fun being called a gringo. I have always seen the word as an offensive slang used for an American or English person, many cases a white American. If you say alien is offensive to a group then I can respect that but don't turn around and say that another word can not or should not be offensive to another group.
You don't even know what it means, so why are you talking so matter-of-factly about somethign you dont know about?

Americans are very insecure.
Mexicans can joke around with each other, calling each other stuff like "tonto" dummy, "gordito" little chubby guy, "flakita" skinny bones or whatever.
Call an American little chubby guy, and watch him never talk to you again and go anorexic.

Trust me, gringo isnt that offensive. Crying over nothing.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:41 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Depends. I dont find the terms offensive in themselves.

If someone was messing around, I'm not going to cry over it.

If theyre saying it to me in a taunting way , trying to **** me off, then yeah, ill belt him in the face.

Back to gringo, if some guy comes up to you and says "ayyy..gringo" and slaps you in the back, you don't have to cry about it.
"Oh-MAH-GAWD. MexicOE, is SOOO like racist!"

Its not that big of a deal.

If a guy spits at you and calls you pinchi gringo or whatever, and he's calling you out, then take offense to him calling you out.

This is so like the anti-illegal crowd. Take something, and exaggerate it a hundred times over.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I guess I have a middle stance on the word "gringo." Though it's no way "racist" to use the word (a "gringo" is a "foreigner (to the Hispanic culture)" of ANY race), I do think that it is often used in an offensive way by some Hispanic people to emphasize a cultural/linguistic gap between them and the person on the receiving end of the term. In fact, I tell Hispanic people to NOT use the term to refer to non-Hispanic people because I can imagine it is quite hurtful to be called a name that emphasizes (and not in a good way) the difference between you and the person calling you it. The only time I EVER use it - ironically - is in an offensive way to *Hispanic* people who know little or nothing about Spanish language and Hispanic culture yet talk about how Hispanic/Latino they are all and how "different" they are from non-Hispanic people. I use it to put people in their place so that they can experience how it feels to be called a name that can be very offensive. Call me rellenito (chubby), tonto (silly), borrachín (drunkard), etc and I won't be offended but if you called me gringo (which wouldn't make any sense given that I am fluent in Spanish and identify strongly with my Latin heritage) I WOULD be offended.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I guess I have a middle stance on the word "gringo." Though it's no way "racist" to use the word (a "gringo" is a "foreigner (to the Hispanic culture)" of ANY race), I do think that it is often used in an offensive way by some Hispanic people to emphasize a cultural/linguistic gap between them and the person on the receiving end of the term. In fact, I tell Hispanic people to NOT use the term to refer to non-Hispanic people because I can imagine it is quite hurtful to be called a name that emphasizes (and not in a good way) the difference between you and the person calling you it. The only time I EVER use it - ironically - is in an offensive way to *Hispanic* people who know little or nothing about Spanish language and Hispanic culture yet talk about how Hispanic/Latino they are all and how "different" they are from non-Hispanic people. I use it to put people in their place so that they can experience how it feels to be called a name that can be very offensive. Call me rellenito (chubby), tonto (silly), borrachín (drunkard), etc and I won't be offended but if you called me gringo (which wouldn't make any sense given that I am fluent in Spanish and identify strongly with my Latin heritage) I WOULD be offended.
In the above case: such a 'Hispanic' as you described would be a 'Pocho', correct? I know that word has been used by Mexicans to describe many Americans of Hispanic background........and, it is about are derogatory as 'gringo'.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In the above case: such a 'Hispanic' as you described would be a 'Pocho', correct? I know that word has been used by Mexicans to describe many Americans of Hispanic background........and, it is about are derogatory as 'gringo'.
Pocho is often used to describe a piece of fruit that is so ripe that it is no longer good to eat... spoiled and rotten. It's also used by Mexicans to describe many Mexican-Americans who have picked up the worst of US cultural habits (buying bling for your car while living in a crappy ghetto, spending money on things that you don't need, etc.) while losing the best of Latin cultural habits (being able to effectively communicate with body language and in Spanish, having respect for your elders, knowing how to entertain at the drop of a hat, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration