Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:13 PM

299 posts, read 547,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Bwahahahahaha!!! Oh man, this is the lamest attempt at "hand waving" I've ever seen. Somebody please tell me that the above post is a joke.
You are one of the jokes in this forum and thanks for showing your lack of debate skills also. You and Sassy might want to try to get together so you can share the one brain cell that seems to be floating between the two of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Suffice to say: if the attack on Ramirez was unprovoked-------then the assailants need to be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Read that Ramirez not drawing a weapon, etc. OTOH Verbal threats would not be probable cause for killing the man.
Shooting a person once or twice with a gun when he is drawing a weapon is one thing, but a group of people beating that same person, stomping his head in til he dies is a completely different matter. And thats even if he did provoke them or had a weapon.

Its easier to get off for shooting a person than stabbing them repeatedly in self defense. With a gun, you can say you were scared for your life and poured a whole clip into someone because it went by so quick.
To actually repeatedly stab someone is harder to defend, because it is more violent and deliberate.

Same goes with pummeling someone to death.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
Not a racial issue because Mexican is not a race. We have told you this forever and yet, you constantly forget this point. It is an ethnic crime and you did not need to post another thread about the same thing.
Yeah..thats a pretty lame excuse that gets thrown around a lot on this forum.
No matter what a Mexican is listed under in the census, its no secret that they are viewed as other than white, and for the most part view themselves as "other than white".

I consider a hate crime against a Mexican, especially those who are brown skinned, to be a racial crime.

And its pretty clear that this town was becoming hostile to the presence of Mexicans in this mostly white town. Slurs were being spraypainted on walls.

I suspect they were taunting him. Having been taunted before, according to his fiancee, he probably became frustrated and defended himself. Maybe it turned into a scuffle. From a scuffle, a few more teens jump in and cowardly murdered him. Thats what I think went down.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,674,322 times
Though it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans as a group, it is highly possible to be racist against a particular Mexian or sub-class of Mexicans (ie: mestizos, Mexicans of indigenous descent, "brown" Mexicans, etc.) Since the overwhelming majority (90% +) of illegal Mexican immigrants are non-white, it would not surprise me that some people think of Mexicans as a mono-racial group; if this is the case, this person in their mind could VERY WELL be racist "against Mexicans" if brown and poor is all that they know Mexicans to be.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Though it's impossible to be racist against Mexicans as a group, it is highly possible to be racist against a particular Mexian or sub-class of Mexicans (ie: mestizos, Mexicans of indigenous descent, "brown" Mexicans, etc.) Since the overwhelming majority (90% +) of illegal Mexican immigrants are non-white, it would not surprise me that some people think of Mexicans as a mono-racial group; if this is the case, this person in their mind could VERY WELL be racist "against Mexicans" if brown and poor is all that they know Mexicans to be.
And many of not most 'Mexican' Americans perpetrate that 'brown' stereotype themselves------and, tend to look with diffidence upon White Hispanics as a group.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Yeah..thats a pretty lame excuse that gets thrown around a lot on this forum.
No matter what a Mexican is listed under in the census, its no secret that they are viewed as other than white, and for the most part view themselves as "other than white".

I consider a hate crime against a Mexican, especially those who are brown skinned, to be a racial crime.

And its pretty clear that this town was becoming hostile to the presence of Mexicans in this mostly white town. Slurs were being spraypainted on walls.

I suspect they were taunting him. Having been taunted before, according to his fiancee, he probably became frustrated and defended himself. Maybe it turned into a scuffle. From a scuffle, a few more teens jump in and cowardly murdered him. Thats what I think went down.
This entire tragic event could have been avoided if Luis Ramirez had simply stayed in his own country instead of taking up residence in the US illegally.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Shooting a person once or twice with a gun when he is drawing a weapon is one thing, but a group of people beating that same person, stomping his head in til he dies is a completely different matter. And thats even if he did provoke them or had a weapon.

Its easier to get off for shooting a person than stabbing them repeatedly in self defense. With a gun, you can say you were scared for your life and poured a whole clip into someone because it went by so quick.
To actually repeatedly stab someone is harder to defend, because it is more violent and deliberate.

Same goes with pummeling someone to death.
It must be freezing in Hell because I do agree with you. You must have used that one brain cell. Good for you.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
So very true. I wonder how many know about all of the races, ethnicities and such that actually are Mexicans. I have a girlfriend that is of Mexican descent and she is blonde and blue-eyed. My one son married a woman of Mexican descent and she has the most beautiful black hair and brown eys that one could have.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And many of not most 'Mexican' Americans perpetrate that 'brown' stereotype themselves------and, tend to look with diffidence upon White Hispanics as a group.
Honestly, in my experience at least, Mexican is Mexican. Living in America that is so diverse, where communities stick together based on where they are from, we pretty much saw ourselves as the same. We never said, "Oh he looks more European than me." Or "Thats Pedro, he's mestizo." Or "That's Juan, he's Amerindian.". That didn't matter to us. Mexicans are Mexicans. We saw ourselves as part of the same racial group. Many family's have members that are dark and some that are light. Most of us are basically the same mix.

Every now and then, we'd see an extremely white looking Mexican. Like someone who has very obvous facial features, light complexion, or light hair.

"Is he white or Mexican?"
"Nah, he's Mexican."
"Half?"
"Nah, he's full. He just looks white."

Maybe that thinking is false, and maybe like Azbear says, our unity is "bs" or a "sham".
But its how we saw ourselves.

And its how many people see it as well.

You don't hear people say, "Oh yeah, the neighborhood is almost fully white, but 90 percent of them are of Mexican descent."

or people don't ever refer to places like East LA like this:

" That is a very dangerous White neighborhood! Lots of drugs, gangs, and crime."

Maybe if Mexico's population was more diverse than it is, people wouldn't refer to Mexican as if it was a race. But fact is, the vast majority of Mexicans are either Mestizos of European and Indian blood(of various percentages..but thats so complicated to ever accurately determine, so why bother) or fully Amerindian.

With that said, I have many family members who look different. On my mom's side, I have great grand parents who look fully Amerindian, I have family members who are lighter complected. I would never be able to actually define what I am. My great grandmother could be fully indian, and my great grandfather could much more European in appearance, but then I look at his mother, and she could have Indian apperance.

My dads father was very dark, and my grandmother looked whiter, but her parents actually looked more Indian.

My sister is browner than me, but our light complected mom's sisters are browner than her.

See how incredibly confusing it can get? But we are all family, and we would never consider ourselves different. How could we? We are of the same blood, as family as it gets.

One could say that Hispanic is a political term. But politics don't mean much when you determine who your kin are.
And it doesn't mean much to kids.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:

Where did you read that this illegal was "brown" and not "white"? I didn't see any mention of his coloring, and were blacks getting beat up in this same city or by these same people? Certainly there are blacks living up there, if it's just about skin color then there should be more incidents against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration