Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet many Mestizo Hispanics tend to be prejudiced against American Indians-------and, vice versa.

The phrase 'cultural differences' comes to mind.
You keep saying that, and I when I keep asking you why you insist there are tensions between Mexican-Americans and Native Americans, you keep referring to a lady friend who made some "not so nice remarks about Native Americans."

And then you talk about all your "racist" Mexican friends who look "scandinavian" with "blond hair and blue eyes".

Are your friends who don't like Native Americans the same as the ones who don't like other Mexicans(brown)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,055,576 times
Ok I dont know why...but I feel disrespected that most of you assume that Dominicans are black. Most of my friends are mixed. The vast majority of us are mixed. The smallest pecentage (11%) of Dominicans are fully black. I dont care if mixed features make one look black, thats not the case. The person is mixed. Haiti is a country that is over 95% black....totally different that the 11% Dominican black population. So we're not alike at all. No way.

I see more white Dominicans (in NYC atleast) than I have black. In DR the white population is a decent 16%. And there are areas in DR like Jarabacoa and most of the cibao cities that have majority white population.

On to me. If I cannot label myself hispanic...then what can I consider myself. This term IMO is used mainly for those mixed hispanics like me. I would post pictures that I have of me in the winter....where I am as white as powder and in the heart of summer where I am a slighty dark tan color. But if you look at me....you would think neither black or white. So where do I fit in?

Thats the problem....its not as simple as just "oh just say black or white".

Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
AMC, you make a valid point. However, remember that if I had things my way, I would offer affirmative action to people of low-income backgrounds, regardless of race or ethnicity.

Since I assume that you're talking about economically disadvantaged Latinos, they too would be covered in my proposed affirmative action plan. It doesn't have to do with being black or brown, it has to do with being from a low-income background and this will include people of all races and ethnicites.

I just don't think it's fair that my college buddy from Rancho Palos Verdes (a rich suburb on the Pacific Ocean south of LA for people who aren't familiar with the name) be eligible for affirmative action just because he is 1/8 of Amerindian descent (all of his relatives are white except for one great grandparent, apparently) and therefore part of a "minority" group which has in the past received discrimination in California. For all practical purposes, his family members in Mexico probably were at the giving end of the discrimination more than they were at the receiving end.

Do you disagree? I suppose you might in theory, but in practice the people about whom you're worried (Latinos in poor neighborhood) would be covered by my proposed affirmative action plan.
I agree with what you are saying, and that would be very ideal. But isn't AA specifically meant to give opportunities to minority groups?
Its not the cure-all for poverty in America, but to make sure people from all groups are given the same opportunity.

I don't think we should ignore the big gap between the different ethnic groups as far as education and good employment.

Right now, I see more Latinos attending college than in the past. I think this is thanks to Latinos actually being targeted for higher education more in recent years.

I think with things like Affirmative Action and so called "political correctness", it maybe be a pain, but I think the ends justify the means.

We're a lot better off now than we were 20, 30, 50, even 10 years ago.
We must be doing something right.

ACE | Minority College Enrollment Surges Over the Past Two Decades; Students of Color Still Lag Behind Whites in College Participation (http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&CONTENTID=3719&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm - broken link)

But theres still a long way to go.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:17 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,454,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I'm looking on WikiPedia and seeing that Hispanics are not a race, which made me wonder why.

If Hispanics intermarry with other races, they're considered part of that race and not biracial. Why is that?

Will Hispanics ever become a racial group?
They ARE a racial group and I don't get what all the hoopla over it is. Yes, they are a separate race.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Ok I dont know why...but I feel disrespected that most of you assume that Dominicans are black. Most of my friends are mixed. The vast majority of us are mixed. The smallest pecentage (11%) of Dominicans are fully black. I dont care if mixed features make one look black, thats not the case. The person is mixed. Haiti is a country that is over 95% black....totally different that the 11% Dominican black population. So we're not alike at all. No way.

I see more white Dominicans (in NYC atleast) than I have black. In DR the white population is a decent 16%. And there are areas in DR like Jarabacoa and most of the cibao cities that have majority white population.

On to me. If I cannot label myself hispanic...then what can I consider myself. This term IMO is used mainly for those mixed hispanics like me. I would post pictures that I have of me in the winter....where I am as white as powder and in the heart of summer where I am a slighty dark tan color. But if you look at me....you would think neither black or white. So where do I fit in?

I always considered Hispanic to mean the same thing: mixed. I know thats not the official meaning, but when someone said he's Mexican, as in the context of race, I think Indian/European mix. If someone says in the context of nationality, I realize it can be anything: Chinese, Black, White, Indian, etc.
When someone says Hispanic, as in race, I think it can be a mix of Indian and European, European and African, Euorpean and African and Indian. But thats just what the word association is for me.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,677,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Hey Mario, welcome to the Immigration forum! I think this is the first time I've seen you posting in another forum than the NYC one. You know very well that people aren't trying to force you into being "black" or "white." You're a mix of the two and you acknowledge that. You know a lot about this topic, so it would be best that you not confuse people by saying that they should call you "Hispanic" in the context of race because you are mixed. It may be a little harder for you than it is for me because you are mixed-race and I am not, but I think you would be doing mulatto Latins a favor if you refuse to apply a singular racial label to yourself (hint: it doesn't exist!) and just explain to people that you are a mix of two races.

BTW, you see white Dominicans up in the West Bronx where you live? The few times I've been to Dominican neighborhoods here in NYC I have seen almost exclusively mulatto and black people.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
When someone says Hispanic, as in race, I think it can be a mix of Indian and European, European and African, Euorpean and African and Indian. But thats just what the word association is for me.
But wouldn't it be more precise - in a racial context - to just state that you are mestizo, mulatto, zambo? Describing yourself in a racial context as "Hispanic" is incredibly broad and can be misleading. In Florida, people picture a "Hispanic"-looking person to be white; in California, people picture a "Hispanic"-looking person to be mestizo; in New York, people picture a "Hispanic"-looking person to be mulatto; in Chicago I have no idea how people picture "Hispanics" to look due to all the mulattos (mostly Puerto Ricans) and mestizos (mostly Mexicans) - there is no one common racial mixture for Hispanics there. I guess you can take what the average "Hispanic" person looks like in your area and describe that person's appearance as "Hispanic," but this is very subjective and likely won't work in other areas of this country. My suggestion is just to skip over the confusion and refuse to use the term "Hispanic" in a racial context. It's really an ethnic term; don't let other people - including other Hispanics - turn it into somethings that it's not.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,767,203 times
Why even consider race? Honestly, if nobody kept track of race (police, gov't, etc.) with the exception of by word of mouth there might be real progress and virtually no discrimination. But then the minorities would lose their affirmative action crutch. The modern racial caste system is being overused by police and exploited by minorities for financial gain.

See: Minotry only contractor laws in the City of Chicago.

Last edited by big mean bear; 07-24-2008 at 12:08 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
They ARE a racial group and I don't get what all the hoopla over it is. Yes, they are a separate race.
Have you not read any of this thread or the numerous other threads about this in which myself and others have made extensive commentary? It's not an opinion that "Hispanic" is not a "race;" it's a fact because "Hispanics" can be of ANY race.

I dare you to tell me that these two people (one of them is me) are of the same race.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Why even consider race? Honestly, if nobody kept track of race (police, gov't, etc.) with the exception of by word of mouth there might be real progress and virtually no discrimination. But then the minorities would lose their affirmative action crutch. The modern racial caste system is being overused by police and exploited by minorities for financial gain.

See: Minotry only contractor laws in the City of Chicago.

Yes, we're moving far away from Martin Luther King's "I have a dream...", the problem is the hispanics are way too into race. All the progress that was being made is being flushed right on down the drain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration