Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 09:59 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,437,503 times

Advertisements

LEXINGTON - Three Kentuckians claim in a federal lawsuit that Lexington is a sanctuary for illegal immigrants and it breaks the law by failing to verify citizenship before providing cancer screening, pregnancy tests and other services.

Observers on both sides say the lawsuit offers a unique if controversial new spin on the volatile national debate over immigration policy by attempting to use the court system to deny services to certain people rather than allow them.

The three plaintiffs - who are not lawyers and filed the lawsuit themselves - made the claim Monday in U.S. District Court. They predict other cities will use it as an example for waging their own local crackdowns on services for undocumented residents.

Others, however, predict the lawsuit will be thrown out before it even gets a hearing in front of a judge.

"Federal funds are thrown around here without anybody being held accountable," said David Duncan, one of the three who signed the lawsuit. "This can be applied as a template throughout the country."
The lawsuit calls on Lexington's government and health department as well as the state Office of Vocational Rehabilitation to require proof of citizenship before delivering any city services, other than emergency help like ambulance runs.

Suit: Illegal immigrants shouldn't get services | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

HAMMER TIME . . . . . it's getting better everyday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,352,846 times
Wow-cool. Glad to see citizens getting involved. People are waking up-maybe not as fast as we would like but it is starting and I think it will only get worse for the lawbreakers. As Azbear has stated-with the economy in the state that it is- I think people who normally do not get involved with these issues may very well have their eyes opened to the truth.

Wow a couple good articles on Kentucky this week-that should make Alanboy395 happy!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:13 AM

7,024 posts, read 11,437,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Wow-cool. Glad to see citizens getting involved. People are waking up-maybe not as fast as we would like but it is starting and I think it will only get worse for the lawbreakers. As Azbear has stated-with the economy in the state that it is- I think people who normally do not get involved with these issues may very well have their eyes opened to the truth.

Wow a couple good articles on Kentucky this week-that should make Alanboy395 happy!

I remember when Californian's initially fired the warning shot and the rest of us attributed it to them over reacting. While I know many are suffering with the loss of jobs, high price of gas, soaring foreclosure rates and food prices, in a sense, the tanking of the economy has been a blessing. The rest of America has no choice other than the sit up and take notice now.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 AM

105 posts, read 229,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
LEXINGTON - Three Kentuckians claim in a federal lawsuit that Lexington is a sanctuary for illegal immigrants and it breaks the law by failing to verify citizenship before providing cancer screening, pregnancy tests and other services.

Observers on both sides say the lawsuit offers a unique if controversial new spin on the volatile national debate over immigration policy by attempting to use the court system to deny services to certain people rather than allow them.

The three plaintiffs - who are not lawyers and filed the lawsuit themselves - made the claim Monday in U.S. District Court. They predict other cities will use it as an example for waging their own local crackdowns on services for undocumented residents.

Others, however, predict the lawsuit will be thrown out before it even gets a hearing in front of a judge.

"Federal funds are thrown around here without anybody being held accountable," said David Duncan, one of the three who signed the lawsuit. "This can be applied as a template throughout the country."
The lawsuit calls on Lexington's government and health department as well as the state Office of Vocational Rehabilitation to require proof of citizenship before delivering any city services, other than emergency help like ambulance runs.

Suit: Illegal immigrants shouldn't get services | Cincinnati Enquirer | Cincinnati.Com

HAMMER TIME . . . . . it's getting better everyday!
If you remove the economic incentive (ie, no government benefits and no possibility of employment), illegals won't be so quick to come. ... I also want to make a comment that is tangentially related to his story. Some talk about a compassionate conservatism. Well, it's very easy for the government to be "compassionate" with someone else's money. In no way though should the government be "compassionate" with someone else's money towards those who are here illegally.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,612,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
If you remove the economic incentive (ie, no government benefits and no possibility of employment), illegals won't be so quick to come. ... I also want to make a comment that is tangentially related to his story. Some talk about a compassionate conservatism. Well, it's very easy for the government to be "compassionate" with someone else's money. In no way though should the government be "compassionate" with someone else's money towards those who are here illegally.
I totally agree!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,765,652 times
If a lawsuit is what is needed to change the status quo so be it.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:10 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,927,594 times
I remember a lot of the Pro-illegals have said that illegal immigrants don't "use" public services... I wonder if they will back this lawsuit since illegal immigrants don't "use" public services and wouldn't affect them anyhow... nah, they probably have ulterior motives for lying about illegal immigrants not "using" public services...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,801,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
I could not agree more, Manny!

Eliminating ALL incentives would result in a Mass Self-Deportation as beginning to be experienced right here in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration