Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:38 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
how about the people who hire customer service representatives who don't know the language.

Tech customer service? Most of them are in india and they speak exceptional english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Who is forcing you to learn their language?
When is everything is in Spanish you have to learn. Where do you live that you don't need to know Spanish?

Perhaps that explains why you love illegals; you aren't around them.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:03 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
no not tech customer service. try mcdonalds, burger king, ect. I know where the tech customer service is, and they don't speak exceptional english. the speak passable english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Tech customer service? Most of them are in india and they speak exceptional english.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
no not tech customer service. try mcdonalds, burger king, ect. I know where the tech customer service is, and they don't speak exceptional english. the speak passable english.
I live in California, lots of Latinos here. I've never been to a fast food restaurant where I could not understand the person who I was speaking to. I've also been to Arizona and ate fast food there as well. I've never had a problem communicating with anyone, except one time at a gas station where the owner was Punjabi.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
When is everything is in Spanish you have to learn. Where do you live that you don't need to know Spanish?

Where are you talking about that you have to know Spanish? Everything is in English/Spanish including Mexico.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post

I live in California. I have not seen any Spanish road signs. Just the occasional hombres/mujeres on bathroom signs. I see mostly English signs every day.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjames3000 View Post
As an American, I personally feel that the anti-immigrant wave that is sweeping the country is both unfair and immoral.
Your opinion on this situation is your right, Jimjames. I beg to disagree, though. I'm an American, too. And I personally feel that many things going on today are unfair and immoral....and one of these is people entering the US illegally. How "huge" a crime it is, for the individual, is a matter of debate. But it's certainly a crime, just as trespassing and "breaking and entering" are...and when expanded into the multiple millions of violators, it's a serious drain on society....expensive, disruptive, and divisive. It promotes a very serious disrespect for the rule of law, and causes "nice" people, who'd normally be in favor of abiding by the law, to go to great lengths to defend the breaking of it by others..for any number of reasons. At some point, in my opinion (as an American) all this breaking of laws and the defending of same, goes on to become unfair and immoral as well.

So I guess you and I are just two Americans, each of whom are seeing behavior that we consider to be 'unfair and immoral'. I would, however, take serious exception to your title for this thread. Illegal immigration is a 'hot-button' item, with all sorts of side-issues....but I'd hardly call any of it "euphoria". Maybe "hysteria". Hardly 'euphoria'.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Immigrant is a term that applies to ANYONE who migrates to another country, usually for permanent residence. The term immigrant doesn't somehow imply that the person belongs there. I don't know where you got that from. Adding the term illegal to immigrant implies that a person has migrated to another country illegally.

An undocumented worker is a worker who lacks legal documents to work here. Face it, the majority of illegal immigrant workers in this country are non-violent, honest people who are just here to work. Many of these people don't intentionally cause problems and just want to support their families. I fail to see an issue with that.

If you were born and raised in a foreign country that lacked opportunity, I am sure that you would do everything in your power to try to provide for your family. Unfortunately, for a lot of these people who immigrate illegally to the United States, illegal border crossing is the only answer.

Am I denying that there are SOME illegal immigrants who are violent criminals, drug traffickers, and overall bad people? Absolutely not. However, the vast majority of those people are extremely hard-working, honest people. Not too many people would willingly move hundreds or thousands of miles away from anything they have ever known, face animosity and constant threat of deportation, if there wasn't some benefit.

I fail to see why so many people are against illegal immigration. It seems to me to be a form of masked racism.
A point for that. Its refreshing to see a new face in here making some sense.
But careful with the "R" word. You'll get a bunch of hissy fits for using the word "race" at all.
Youre only allowed to call Mexicans, Illegal immigrants, Hispanics, and Hispanic organizations racist in this forum. I think its in the rules or something.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
A point for that. Its refreshing to see a new face in here making some sense.
But careful with the "R" word. You'll get a bunch of hissy fits for using the word "race" at all.
Youre only allowed to call Mexicans, Illegal immigrants, Hispanics, and Hispanic organizations racist in this forum. I think its in the rules or something.
I'm new here too. Really? Even though John Tanton, founder of Save Our State and several other anti-illegal organizations has ties with racist groups? Try that on for size

Old 07-24-2008, 03:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,755,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The pro illegal crowd is growing ever more desperate every day--------hence them using words like 'racism', etc.

That dog don't hunt. Try again.

Suffice to say: if we were being inudated (sp) by millions of blond haired, blue eyed, Nordic White Swedes-------I would be just as 'prejudiced' against 'em if they were illegal immigrants never mind that I look Scandinavian.

As for the word 'illegal alien'-------take that up with the US government, it is their official term to describe those lawbreaker losers.
How much more desperate can we get ArizonaBear? We keep getting more desperate, every day every day, for so many days.

And can you make some kind of signature where you have all your top sayings so you dont have to repeat them over and over and over and over and over..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration