Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 03:54 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times

Advertisements

New Mexico’s legislature passed a law in 2003 that allows illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses so that the public would be safer. States regularly deny driver’s licenses to foreign citizens no matter what there immigrant status is. Some states like California began tightening their requirements for driver’s licenses, and many immigrants couldn’t renew their licenses, and their car insurance was cancelled automatically.

Some car insurance companies have seen this as a new golden market. Even though many states deny driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, the law doesn’t prevent insurers from selling insurance to unlicensed drivers and car owners. Big companies like Progressive are writing car insurance for illegal immigrant drivers.
Immigration Debate » Blog Archive » Insurance For Illegal Immigrants! (http://immigration-debate.legal-questions.org/2008/07/26/insurance- - broken link)for-illegal-immigrants/

Leave it to a greedy corporate pig to find a loophole in a law that protects Americans.

The fact that an illegal alien (a) has no legal right to be in this country; and (b) therefore should not legally be able to drive should be a no brainer, even to greedy, fraudulent insurance companies. States and corporations that thumb their noses at the law and provide jobs and drivers' licenses to illegals should be cut off from all federal funding. Any American who is injured or dies at the hands of an illegal alien driver should automatically be awarded several million dollars from said state and the pigs who insures the illegal alien. Since the IA and the greedy insurance pigs wants to skirt the laws then no court procedures, lawsuit should have to be filed. The state and the insurance company that insures IA's should be forced to set up a personal injury fund and automatically be forced by the federal government to fork over millions to the victim.

The greed and insanity continues . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 04:41 PM

307 posts, read 521,907 times
Many of your posts are good, And I REALLY do enjoy all the news you are putting up. But on this one I will disagree.

Giving the Illegal insurance will not help him to get a job or function in America. In fact it takes some of the money out of his pocket and at least it goes back into the US economy instead of being shipped to another country.

But far more important it protects Americans and Legal Immigrant who might be hit by the illegal while crossing the street.

Here are the two options.

1) Illegal is not allowed to have insurance and if they hit someone, Tough luck. The victim has NO ONE to get money they need from, the illegal is cut loose back across the border, if even that. The victim only receive BASIC medical care and suffers for many years in pain since he could not afford physical therapy.

2) Illegal allowed to have insurance and runs someone over. The victim can now get some or all of his bills and rehabilitation covered, and the Illegal can still be dumped back across the border.

Given those choices the answer, to me, is obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The state and the insurance company that insures IA's should be forced to set up a personal injury fund and automatically be forced by the federal government to fork over millions to the victim.
Insurance companies and states do not print money. In order to pay this money to the victims they would have to......

wait for it.......

Raise YOUR INSURANCE RATES OR TAXES!!!

Which do you want? The illegal paying for it or YOU paying for it.

Random

Last edited by RandomU; 07-26-2008 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times
How would you suppose insurance companies check the status of their customers?

It is none of thier business what my status is. All they need to know is what car I drive, my license info and my driving record.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:47 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
No, No, No! First off, if they can get insurance, then that's just another way of accepting them. Secondly, even if they could get insurance, I seriously doubt they would. They are illegals, what do they care about the law?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:09 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Even if illegals could get auto insurance, i think odds are they wont buy it.

Does uninsured driver coverage cover illegals driving?

Old 07-26-2008, 05:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Many of your posts are good, And I REALLY do enjoy all the news you are putting up. But on this one I will disagree.

Giving the Illegal insurance will not help him to get a job or function in America. In fact it takes some of the money out of his pocket and at least it goes back into the US economy instead of being shipped to another country.

But far more important it protects Americans and Legal Immigrant who might be hit by the illegal while crossing the street.

Here are the two options.

1) Illegal is not allowed to have insurance and if they hit someone, Tough luck. The victim has NO ONE to get money they need from, the illegal is cut loose back across the border, if even that. The victim only receive BASIC medical care and suffers for many years in pain since he could not afford physical therapy.

2) Illegal allowed to have insurance and runs someone over. The victim can now get some or all of his bills and rehabilitation covered, and the Illegal can still be dumped back across the border.

Given those choices the answer, to me, is obvious.

Insurance companies and states do not print money. In order to pay this money to the victims they would have to......

wait for it.......

Raise YOUR INSURANCE RATES OR TAXES!!!

Which do you want? The illegal paying for it or YOU paying for it.

Random
There are several problems with this entire issue beginning with:

1. Criminal illegal entry. Have you ever met an "honest", sympathetic criminal?

2. Identity: Nobody really knows who any of them really are. They use multiple identities, fake addresses and false documents to obtain whatever they so desire.

3. If they can't read, write or speak English guess what? That means they can't read street signs and they definitely have no clue with regards to rules of the road.

4. If they are driving outside of the state that granted them their license and are involved in an accident do you really think an illegal alien is going to stop and exchange information (provided they didn't kill the other driver) and wait for the police to arrive so that they can tell them "I'm an illegal alien but here's my insurance card?"

At the end of the day, it's just another excuse for a greedy giant corporation to fatten its coffers. These are not your everyday consumers. If they are not worried about LaMigra deporting them, do you honestly think they will care about keeping up insurance premiums and taking responsibility for the gringo or negro he kills while driving drunk, or because he doesn't speak a word of the kings English and can't read it either?

In the end the American customers of Progresssive Insurance will end up paying higher insurance premiums to insure illegal aliens and the hit and run/drunk driving events will continue to be an everyday occurrence.

O/T Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy the articles. Now let's get this debate on, I'm ready for you.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 07-26-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 05:14 PM

307 posts, read 521,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
No, No, No! First off, if they can get insurance, then that's just another way of accepting them. Secondly, even if they could get insurance, I seriously doubt they would. They are illegals, what do they care about the law?
Because it also helps them if they are injured. Or so that is the way it is probably marketed. Which would you rather have. Tax payers paying for an illegal who is in an accident and goes to the hospital, OR the illegal paying (via insurance premiums)

Once again it's a no brainier.

Other wise your just cutting off your nose to spite your face

Random

Old 07-26-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
3. If they can't read, write or speak English guess what? That means they can't read street signs and they definitely have no clue with regards to rules of the road.
I agree with the exception of this statement.

Knowing or not knowing English has little or no effect considering the rules of the road are pretty much the same throughout the world.

I have driven in many different countries not knowing the language at all.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,734,259 times
Quote:
Because it also helps them if they are injured. Or so that is the way it is probably marketed. Which would you rather have. Tax payers paying for an illegal who is in an accident and goes to the hospital, OR the illegal paying (via insurance premiums)

Random

We already pay for them if they are in an accident. And, like I said before, do you honestly think they would purchase insurance, the law abiding citizens they are? And also, like someone else said, would their documentation be false?
I say no insurance for illegals. Every little bit of acceptance is a big step backwards.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:

Random

And I ask again, how do the insurance companies even suppose to know what the status of someone is?

In my opinion it is none of their business what my status is in this country, no more than its walmarts business or my neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration