Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 PM

745 posts, read 2,208,752 times

Advertisements

Brenda Smith and her husband became curious last winter about the workers who showed up in their neighborhood around Old Providence Road in Virginia Beach.

Without any notice to her, the largely Hispanic crew began digging trenches in her front yard and shoving orange tubing into the ground. She tried to ask them questions, but they didn't speak English.

Full article that broke in the Virginian-Pilot can be accessed at:
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/08/many-workers-verizon-project-are-us-illegally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 02:01 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
I am not surprised one bit. This helps to shed some light on something that I witnessed last year in central Florida. I am down at my dad's quite a bit to help him care for my mom. They put down FIOS lines in his neighborhood. This was during the winter-so a lot of homes were "vacant" as the part-timers were up north. Many of the vacant homes housed 20+ men and they would be on the streets everyday working and speaking languages other than English. They were rude-gawked at women. I could not even go for a run in my dad's neighborhood. It is amazing when they yell things at you and they don't realize that you know what they are saying. Many people compained to Verizon and the city government because they were stealing fruit off of peoples trees and going to the bathroom on people's lawns. Verizon did not care and said it "was the subcontractor who hired them and they could not do anything about it. The whole thing was just disgusting. Once the project was over-they left the houses they had been staying in as well. It was so bad that a few of the local city politicians are thinking of implementing local laws on renting a house to illegal aliens because of all the complaints that were received.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Bottom line, Trevor . . . DISGUSTING!

Greedy companies such as Verizon who blatantly hire illegals under the feeble as well as fraudulent pretense "no one else will do the work" need to be exposed and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law . . . extreme fines and jail time.

This behavior is atrocious and nothing but a repeat of slavery that supposedly ended many many years ago.

Each and every citizen needs to follow the lead of Brenda Smith to eliminate such BS.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Bottom line, Trevor . . . DISGUSTING!

Greedy companies such as Verizon who blatantly hire illegals under the feeble as well as fraudulent pretense "no one else will do the work" need to be exposed and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law . . . extreme fines and jail time.

This behavior is atrocious and nothing but a repeat of slavery that supposedly ended many many years ago.

Each and every citizen needs to follow the lead of Brenda Smith to eliminate such BS.
I agree. Part of the problem is that they use subcontractors. That is why Verizon uses subcontractors- to "shield" themselves so to speak. When people in my dad's neighborhood complained to Verizon they were told it was the subcontractor who did the hiring and there was nothing to do. I got into many not so nice discussions with them. When we tried to talk to the subcontractors-they refused to say a word. It got so bad that the English speaking bosses no longer showed up or they would sit in their truck and move over to the next street if they saw one of us coming.

I think it may be Missouri-with the immigration laws recently proposed/passed that a company is responsible if one of their subcontractors uses illegals. That is what we need. These companies hide behind the "subconractor shield" way too much.

Nicolem

Old 08-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Blatant BS, Nicolem . . . that feeble excuse just does not hold water.

Companies are responsible for ALL of their employees . . . W-2 or Contracted.

Verizon definitely needs to be publicly exposed. Have you considered dropping CNN or FoxNews an e-mail or two?

Old 08-03-2008, 02:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Brenda Smith and her husband became curious last winter about the workers who showed up in their neighborhood around Old Providence Road in Virginia Beach.

Without any notice to her, the largely Hispanic crew began digging trenches in her front yard and shoving orange tubing into the ground. She tried to ask them questions, but they didn't speak English.

I've had the same problem with AT&T in my area. A man (or crew) shows up to do some work on the terminal (box or whatever it is called) and when I try and speak with them, none of them can respond in English that I can understand.

So much for the jobs Americans will not do. These are supposed to be technicians..

Old 08-03-2008, 02:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:

It is sad that these illegals are working in Hampton Roads, which already has depressed wages in many fields, bringing down wages even further.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
It is sad that these illegals are working in Hampton Roads, which already has depressed wages in many fields, bringing down wages even further.
So so true, Alanboy . . . however, I bet the products and services are not as "depressed" as the wages.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:28 PM

638 posts, read 1,848,463 times
Verizon, now there's a can of worms. Have you ever talked to the Verizon help desk?

Reserve 1 to 2 hours of wasted of time, and when you do finally get somebody that knows what the hell, you have to ask them to repeat and repeat themselves because they are unintelligible (spanglish).

I've never used Verizon before, so there's been some adjustment of what customer service means. My first experience with them was . . ready? They changed my phone number without telling me. WTF? After 1 or 2 hours of wasted time because they didn't even know who I was as a customer, someone finally concluded (in spanglish), "Well, it happens."

Had to have service at the house, made an appointment, the service person to be there between 8am and 5pm. Computer called me every day at 4pm to tell me it was rescheduling to tomorrow, and this went on for a week. At the end of the week, after an hour or two trying to find somebody who knew what the hell, the Hispanic woman hung up on me because she didn't want to listen to me being irate. Start over.

Verizon hires illegal aliens? Can't be true.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:

Welcome to my world for the last 20 years!

There just here to make a living, is what I've been told over and over for 20 years.

You guys up north have no clue what is about to happen. It happened to us down here 25 years ago what your just now seeing. We got no sympathy, why should you get any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration