Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
(11) Whites are biased. When 'white kiddies' form clubs, whites call these "youth groups". When non-white young people do the same, whites call them "gangs".

sometime's stupid people sound smart, as a black person, I found macmeals comments offensive, on many level's - but then may be he's playing the devil's advocate - lets all refuse to play with him/her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga View Post
sometime's stupid people sound smart, as a black person, I found macmeals comments offensive, on many level's - but then may be he's playing the devil's advocate - lets all refuse to play with him/her
You don't have to be black to find me offensive, believe me....

Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
That second guy is pretty cute - do you know where he lives?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
That second guy is pretty cute - do you know where he lives?
Under an overpass...

Old 08-21-2008, 12:55 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Under an overpass...
How do you know? Old roomate?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
On the topic of doing away with, or keeping race definitions, how about the "one drop" rule? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. How in the heck does that make sense that if a person has one drop of anything other than white, they are that other race, but if they have one drop of white, they do not become white? Of course, this "rule" is being phased, but it's still really prominent it seems.
The 'One Drop Rule' is a farce at best.

And; it certainly does not apply to Hispanics anyway...........there is no Latino race, period.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga View Post
You have not been on this board long enough to truly grasp macmeal's sense of sarcasm/satire-----------most of our Black regulars here tend to relate, shall we say?

Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
On the topic of doing away with, or keeping race definitions, how about the "one drop" rule? It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. How in the heck does that make sense that if a person has one drop of anything other than white, they are that other race, but if they have one drop of white, they do not become white? Of course, this "rule" is being phased, but it's still really prominent it seems.
Correction: The “One Drop Rule” applies exclusively to blacks. If you have one drop of Negroid blood, you are considered black in this country. No other race has such a distinction. It stems from slavery, and the belief that black equates to inferior.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
How do you know? Old roomate?
Nope, but if the invasion gets any worse he could be my NEXT roommate...

Old 08-21-2008, 05:39 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correction: The “One Drop Rule” applies exclusively to blacks. If you have one drop of Negroid blood, you are considered black in this country. No other race has such a distinction. It stems from slavery, and the belief that black equates to inferior.
But if the "one drop rule" actually does apply to that extent today, why would almost no one consider your typical NYC Puerto Rican (I'm making these numbers up, but: 75% white, 25% black) to be "black" ? Many people do consider mixed-race Dominicans (who tend to be equally black as they are white) to be "black," but there are many other Latino groups who the general populace does NOT consider "black" despite their mixed lineage. I'm just curious to know what you think because I didn't really think that people went by the "one drop rule" anymore. I can understand someone being 1/2 black (Obama, for instance) to be considered "black" but I have known people who are 1/8-1/4 (and even some Hispanic people who were 1/2!!) black who weren't considered "black."

Benicar, this is really random, but I learned what the term "high yellow" meant in college. I used to be in a choir in which most of the members were African-American and I asked a few of them why they kept referring to this one light-skinned black girl as "yellow" and they explained it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration