Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:43 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times

Advertisements

h&%% no!!!!!!!!! Too many problems now with our legal immigrants, illegal aliens, and US citizens. More people will just equal more strained resources, higher unemployment, etc. We need a tight cap on immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 02:04 PM

193 posts, read 813,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Also, immigrants (legal as well as illegal) use more in social services than natives.
Is that so?
http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/research/imms&publicservices_2006-9-12.pdf (broken link)
http://www.ilctr.org/news/pdf/imm_taxes_use_of_welfare.pdf (broken link)
Do illegal immigrants receive more government benefits than they pay in taxes? | redblueamerica.com (http://redblueamerica.com/truthornot/2008-04-03/do-illegal-immigrants-receive-more-government-benefits-they-pay-taxes-2300 - broken link)

Quote:
We're importing poverty - if people make only minimum wage, they're not paying much in taxes, anyway. So, we're paying for everything. It used to be that we took in immigrants IF they were important to U.S. citizens. That is, certain skills that we needed. Also, they had to be sponsored by someone here so that they would not be a "burden to society".
It's my understanding that the lack of minimum wage paid to immigrants (this is speaking of illegal immigrants mainly) is one of the key reasons stated by some of why there are not enough good paying jobs for American citizens. Am I wrong? I certainly do not think that immigrants are only capable of earing min. wage, I was simply pointing out that they would be earning "at least" that, as opposed to working for pennies.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM

638 posts, read 1,850,402 times
Fantasy universe which does not exist, but you would have white flight from this country . . other countries in reality have their high bar for immigration to prevent this mass outflow from here.

Since they moved the UK immigration thread to UK, suggest moderator move this thread into "fantasy". What? you can't talk immigration in the immigration forum unless you're talking about US immigration. Okay, then get rid of every ****ing thread about Mexico in the immigration forum, stick those threads in Mexico, because they're about Mexico.

This thread has no place in the immigration forum.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 PM

193 posts, read 813,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
Fantasy universe which does not exist, but you would have white flight from this country . . other countries in reality have their high bar for immigration to prevent this mass outflow from here.

Since they moved the UK immigration thread to UK, suggest moderator move this thread into "fantasy". What? you can't talk immigration in the immigration forum unless you're talking about US immigration. Okay, then get rid of every ****ing thread about Mexico in the immigration forum, stick those threads in Mexico, because they're about Mexico.

This thread has no place in the immigration forum.
I'm not aware of the other threads being moved, as I am new to posting to this section of the boards, however I would think any thread dealing with immigration would be allowed here. There's certainly nothing in the "sticky" saying it has to be about immigration pertaining to the USA only.

Yes, it is a hypothetical and highly unlikely possibility, however I was mainly curious how people who are currently opposed to immigration in general (legal or otherwise) would feel if all countries had the same policy.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
All countries have borders. If they don't, nothing protects the citizens from those who want to take their land, their jobs, rob them or whatever.

The example of what happened to the American Indian tribes should serve as a lesson. They didn't enforce their borders, they were used to having a lot of land that they thought everyone could share and the stronger group would just push the weaker group out of the way but there would still be places to go. They lost everything by allowing so many to come in who did not want to assimilate.

Assimilation is obviously not a given. Borders are meant to protect the lives and the well-being of the citizens. Borders are to keep harmony between two groups living in close proximity.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
. .I would think any thread dealing with immigration would be allowed here.
Me too . .
//www.city-data.com/forum/unite...migration.html

Old 08-20-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is a hypothetical and highly unlikely possibility, however I was mainly curious how people who are currently opposed to immigration in general (legal or otherwise) would feel if all countries had the same policy.
I'll go out on a limb that most people are "not" opposed to immigration, but see, you're lumping it all to together, legal and illegal . . and I can't blame anyone for thinking people are "immigration restrictionists" when they see how outspoken some are against illegals, since the media at large spews this propaganda. It's not one and the same. There is a difference.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass to wait years to become a citizen of this country, delays in visa, etc., but citizenship for some creep just because they breached our border, or a Mexican **** dropped her spore here, is way beyond "immigration" and aptly worded, "invasion". It's such a gross injustice to those who are playing by the rules to immigrate here.

There are countries Americans tend to immigrate to. But if we did en masse to them, like what's happening to us, you can understand their justification of keeping a high bar of immigration quotas for how many American immigrants they're willing to absord.

Whole parts of France are lost to Islam because they didn't control their immigration . . I can sit here across the pond and clearly see there is no France in the future. Likewise, how many parts of this country are lost to Hispania? Did we get the best from Hispania, or it's dregs? Did we have the opportunity to bring Hispania's scientists and engineers as immigrants, or did Hispania dump on us its organized crime and unemployed?

There is no America in the future.

What would be the effect on Argentina if Americans did what Hispania is doing here? There would be no Argentina.

Last edited by r601020; 08-20-2008 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,347,231 times
Quote:
Is that so?
http://www.nilc.org/immspbs/research/imms&publicservices_2006-9-12.pdf (broken link)
http://www.ilctr.org/news/pdf/imm_taxes_use_of_welfare.pdf (broken link)
Do illegal immigrants receive more government benefits than they pay in taxes? | redblueamerica.com (http://redblueamerica.com/truthornot/2008-04-03/do-illegal-immigrants-receive-more-government-benefits-they-pay-taxes-2300 - broken link)

It's my understanding that the lack of minimum wage paid to immigrants (this is speaking of illegal immigrants mainly) is one of the key reasons stated by some of why there are not enough good paying jobs for American citizens. Am I wrong? I certainly do not think that immigrants are only capable of earing min. wage, I was simply pointing out that they would be earning "at least" that, as opposed to working for pennies.
BUT, is any of this for the benefit of the American people? Immigration should be for that reason only.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,574,272 times
Illegal immigration will come to a stop on its own, just as soon as all societies 'equalize', and become 'third-world' economies. Have patience with us....We're headed in that direction as fast as we can, and, if things continue as they have been, we may 'be there' in a few decades.

When there are no longer any affluent societies, there will be nothing 'driving' illegal immigration.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,536 times
Default immigrants bring poverty? all ?

Quote:
Mostly, because we have too many people already, and we don't want to be crowded like India or China. Also, immigrants (legal as well as illegal) use more in social services than natives.

We're importing poverty - if people make only minimum wage, they're not paying much in taxes, anyway. So, we're paying for everything. .......... ".
Really? How come I read accounts of certain immigrant communities being the most well eduacted and highest earning in America? So much for having allegedly stolen the American man's job to work low $$s.
There are many kinds of immigrants and many kinds of US citizens. There's no dearth of teenage moms in America who did not immigrate from anywhere, who live on welfare. Any number of lazy and overweight American citizens who choose not to work and make a decent living. They were born here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration