Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:40 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carted View Post
Is it fair that some (or should I say, many) people are born into poverty and some born into wealth? If not, should we do something about it? Can we control what family, country, and time that we're born into? And if not, why should anyone feel any sense of connection to something as arbitrary as one's country?
Two edged sword. Why do so many feel entitled to other's wealth? Should you be forced to raise other people's kids? Digging yourself out of poverty by hard work and honesty isn't the same as digging out to the demise of others.

Is it "fair" to bear children into poverty? Is it "fair" to bring a child into a World where they will probably starve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:46 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,406 times
Unlimited immigration would bankrupt the U.S and turn it into a 3rd world banana republic. There is no positive upside in letting in billions of poor people from Africa, Latin America, China, India, etc into the U.S. And a high percentage of those billions of poor people flooding into the U.S are going to want free healthcare and welfare handouts from the goverment which would put us into even deeper debt. The U.S does not have the money to be a welfare nanny state for billions of people. A nanny state works in Sweden for example because they have a small population of less than 10 million people. Unlimited immigration means the U.S would see a population increase in the billions.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
If every country in the world had the same, fairly liberal/open immigration policies, would you be ok with that same policy here in the USA? Why or Why not?

(forgive the typo in the title, should have been "open *to*")
Japan has enough sense never to go for that. So there will be at least one country not participating in such a scheme.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Unlimited immigration would bankrupt the U.S and turn it into a 3rd world banana republic. There is no positive upside in letting in billions of poor people from Africa, Latin America, China, India, etc into the U.S. And a high percentage of those billions of poor people flooding into the U.S are going to want free healthcare and welfare handouts from the goverment which would put us into even deeper debt. The U.S does not have the money to be a welfare nanny state for billions of people. A nanny state works in Sweden for example because they have a small population of less than 10 million people. Unlimited immigration means the U.S would see a population increase in the billions.
I was hoping this disaster in Japan would wake up the elites to the benefits of a limited immigration policy, such a social cohesion and higher trust levels but looks like my hopes will be in vain.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
When China opens it's borders to the world and gives all their illegal aliens the same red carpet treatment as we give our illegal aliens then come back and ask this question again........

Until that happens my answer is a huge NO

Old 03-15-2011, 10:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
H*LL NO!!!!!

My reason has been repeated by others.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-15-2011 at 10:21 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
No, I don't agree that that's what we've been doing recently, as most other countries seem to make immigration quite difficult (legally at least). Personally I think that if there were similar laws (not that it is ever going to happen ) in all countries regarding immigration, there would be people who would move out of the country, and I also think less people would move to the USA than is imagined. I'm not sanctioning the USA changing their laws just because everyone else is. The only reason I made that qualifier is that it currently seems "fairly" easy to immigrate to the USA legally, while it's much more difficult it seems to immigrate to a European country. So I threw that in there to even the odds.

Though it is interesting that those opposed to immigration (legal) often site needing to take care of own first and so on. Personally I don't understand this us vs. them mentality. Then again, it's not likely going to change in the near future, and there could be a lot of problems if it did. You know most people I know who have moved to a different country (not just the USA) are some of the hardest workers in addition to many other fine characteristics that come of plopping yourself down in a new culture/language etc. So I'm just curious, not just towards you, but most of the posters, why there is still a negative feeling towards people immigrating here legally, since they will be working at least min. wage and paying taxes?
I'm not sanctioning the USA changing their laws just because everyone else is.

Then what is the purpose of your thread? Your thread states "all countries". Now the US is exempt from your equation?

Maybe it would be more advantageous to "deal" with the "real-life" problems and issues of Immigration, and illegal immigration on this sub-forum.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
It would be one thing if no immigrants could end up collecting welfare handouts of all kinds. Illegals certainly aren't coming here because with their lack of education and inability to ever learn English that they can support their very large families on the little money they make. If they had to pay their own medical bills and could never get food stamps, it might be different.

They're still pouring over the border even with high unemployment rates here, their own country has a much lower unemployment rate so it's not just jobs that lures them here.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
NO!

Borders, language and culture define countries. Obviously what the OP suggests is the Soros vision of "Open Society".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration