Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,161,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
ICE doing it's job, the job we pay so much money for it to do, will help all Americans. The groups with the higher unemployment rates will obviously be greatly helped but don't leave out taxpayers. Everyone benefits. Well....maybe not everyone, the greedy employers who decide to break the laws and have the cheapest possible and most submissive employees will miss out on those superb advantages and profits of ultra low labor costs. And imagine if they realize they might not only have to pay American wages but also might have to offer some job benefits to lure workers?

I don't think it will be helping the Americans owning the businesses operated by illegals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Yes we do need illegals to survive, but it may take many longer for people to find out for themselves

You sound like one of the slave masters of the Old South that thought it would be impossible to make a business run without slave labor.

If dirt cheap labor is your goal -- paying people wages that no one should have to live on or that must be subsidized with food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, housing assistance, then why not just have slaves? After all, being a slave in the USA would be better than living free in some of the third world countries, and what labor could be cheaper than slave labor?

Well -- illegal labor can be cheaper when you think about it. The masters had to provide for their slaves which isn't done with illegals.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I don't think it will be helping the Americans owning the businesses operated by illegals

It will help the law-abiding businessmen who will not have the unfair situation of lawbreakers undercutting them at every turn.

It will also help legal immigrants because there would be a bit more incentive for an employer to legally sponsor an immigrant which means legal wages and financial responsibility for the immigrant. Plus legal status.

Illegal immigration hurts would-be legals -- why bother going through the legal process and sponsorship, work visas and so on when it's much easier and cheaper to just order up a truckload of illegals.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,161,942 times
We get a lot of goods from China. Those people making the products are paid cents off the dollar. So in essence, yes thats like slave labor.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,656,660 times
Sorry sassy, but those jobs that some Americans find below them, other Americans will be glad to have. Especially now seeing as how in my home state the unemployment rate has hit record highs! People aren't as snobby when it comes to work as a lot of people seem to think. When it comes down to it, we have a driving need to not only survive, but to live. The removal of illegals could also have a positive impact on our children. Kids in the summer will once again be able to actually find a part time job instead of just lying around doing nothing. Citizens who need to pick up some extra cash will once again be able to get that second part time job. Also, you have to realize the illegals aren't just doing those "undesirable" jobs anymore. They have moved up the ladder and are now whittling away at all fields of construction and anything in the service industry. Not to mention that until recently we were allowing illegals to gain college degrees with which they could undercut American citizens wages and take their jobs. They aren't just farmers anymore folks, and that is something everyone needs to get straight. We always hear how we need them to do the jobs Americans don't want to do. Well right now I don't know what those jobs would be because I personally know a dozen people right now who would shovel horse manure if it meant a steady job. And a fair wage of course.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,601,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Yes we do need illegals to survive, but it may take many longer for people to find out for themselves
The very same words were spoken in regards to child labor and the sweatshops of the early 1900's, I'm surprised that you would associate yourself with such a heartless and selfish group of people...

Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 PM

I think it's a form of racism to claim that no Americans will work hard for a living. Many Americans work very hard, Americans of all races can be found who work hard.

Mexicans are not some superior race that just is like some kind of worker ants. They *might* work hard for dirt wages but only because they're desperate --- but how good is that? We don't need to have a desperate impoverished class of workers here in this country, we don't need limitless cheap servants for the elite class. That's Mexico -- for those who want that -- move to Mexico. We should work to maintain middle class living standards for the vast majority of people and that means competitive pay (but not with the third world) and decent working conditions.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
The very same words were spoken in regards to child labor and the sweatshops of the early 1900's, I'm surprised that you would associate yourself with such a heartless and selfish group of people...
I've never had a low-paid illegal servant. I've survived quite well without servants of any kind.

I don't see how it's a matter of survival, if you don't have a cheap illegal servant to wash your dishes then you still have the option of washing them yourself -- or hiring someone but legally. And there are those who simply cannot fathom mowing their own grass but many of us don't find doing our own yard work to be that extraordinary.

People who think that way never knew an America where everyone didn't have an illegal nanny or yardman.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:40 PM

756 posts, read 2,004,909 times
I am speaking as someone who is from MS. and I can say it has nothing to do with color of someone skin.
the point is the job did not belong to the illegals they belong to us!!!
I am just happy to know that they now have to put people to work and pay them a far wage.

I guess it just makes me mad to hear about the rights of illegals but never the rights of people from ms. that could not get a job, to me if you come here and are illegal then you have no rights to jobs,school,medical care, nothing you are illegal nothing you say are do matters.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 PM

391 posts, read 874,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Let the accusations commense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
quick call all our black americans and give them the great news employement just opened in a new plant. hurry guick before all those non lazing americans relocate to take the job or they move the business to china
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration