Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times

Advertisements

I think the arrests will help all americans.
For sassy No there are just some wages that are beneath americans. We won't work for next to nothing.
But if that is the case we will grant visa's for legal immigration as we do for agriculture. I would love to see 600 arrests each week. Plus a 10 grand fine on the employer for each illegal hired. Plus a 10 grand fine on landlords who rent to them as well.

. I guess we will see Bear, when all there is are U.S. citizens. I still think there are jobs that American think are below them and they think they are too good to do them...but we can wait and see who ends up being right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 09:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Or the Molly Maguires?
Or the epitome of dangerous working conditions --- The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory?
People like to believe that the only crime an illegal commits is the one where he/she crossed the border. The real crime comes in undercutting the unions and the american working man. Not everybody is college material, and that shouldn't condemn a person to trying (and failing) to compete for jobs with illegals.
As you stated: despite my being borderline 'genius' in the IQ realm----------college material I ain't, either.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You sound like one of the slave masters of the Old South that thought it would be impossible to make a business run without slave labor.

If dirt cheap labor is your goal -- paying people wages that no one should have to live on or that must be subsidized with food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, housing assistance, then why not just have slaves? After all, being a slave in the USA would be better than living free in some of the third world countries, and what labor could be cheaper than slave labor?

Well -- illegal labor can be cheaper when you think about it. The masters had to provide for their slaves which isn't done with illegals.

Oh I don't think they should make the wages they are making now, I think they should be paid the same as anyone else, and more if they are better
on the job. I don't believe in slaves and I don't think anyone should ever be treated like one.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,095,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Sassy, I worked as a maid at Holiday Inn when I was 13 - full time in the summer, and on weekends during the school year till I was 17. (and oh, the stories I could tell -- hint..never and I mean never sleep with the comforter pulled to your chin )
Guess who worked with me? Mainly black ladies and a couple of white girls all from the 'bad' part of town. Not a fun job, not a glamourous job, and not even an especially well paying job but those ladies took pride in their work and it was hard 'icky' work. The same goes for the guys (mainly black) down in the laundry. My dh made his money in high school detassling corn (a white boy doing field work ) and working as a line cook at Bishops.
The fact is, americans are willing and able to do 'icky' work, and if you see certain jobs to be 'below you', well that is your prejudice not everyones. And while americans will do these jobs and with pride no less! we do need a living wage and benefits. Americans will not live 10-20 in a house, americans will actually pay for car insurance, and americans like the idea of upward mobility i.e. a job that just may recognize achievement and let its workers advance into management. Now compare that with illegal workers....they are happy to make whatever the boss throws at them because compared with the home country, it is a fortune.
When people throw out the tired line of "illegals do the jobs that americans won't do", it is like comparing apples to oranges.....americans can, have and will do those jobs .... we just expect to be paid for them.
Good post camping I understand what you are saying, thank you

Old 08-30-2008, 08:32 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Oh I don't think they should make the wages they are making now, I think they should be paid the same as anyone else, and more if they are better
on the job. I don't believe in slaves and I don't think anyone should ever be treated like one.
I don't believe in slaves or treating folks like slaves either. The Illegals obviously have no issue with being treated that way. They came here by the millions knowing that would happen after all.
I know I know they are just doing work honest americans won't do. To bad that is completely false.
The true statement is: They work for wages honest tax paying citizens can't afford to work for and won't. That is a more accurate statement.
600 arrests per week will most definetly help all americans. The arrests though should include any employers, executives or temp service providers who knowingly hire the illegals.
Laws should be enforced that require employers to verify the accuracy of the applicants ID and in turn report discrepancies.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:43 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I don't believe in slaves or treating folks like slaves either. The Illegals obviously have no issue with being treated that way. They came here by the millions knowing that would happen after all.
I know I know they are just doing work honest americans won't do. To bad that is completely false.
The true statement is: They work for wages honest tax paying citizens can't afford to work for and won't. That is a more accurate statement.
600 arrests per week will most definetly help all americans. The arrests though should include any employers, executives or temp service providers who knowingly hire the illegals.
Laws should be enforced that require employers to verify the accuracy of the applicants ID and in turn report discrepancies.
Obviously no one wants to be paid a low wage. But if you're desperate enough, you work for what you can get.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:56 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Then they wouldn't be illegal. If employers wanted to pay competitive wages and offer benefits, they would have no need in bringing in illegals (or slaves), there would be Americans who would take the job. Of course welfare handouts for able-bodied persons needs to stop but the normal way that wages goes up is that employers compete for employees that way. When there is a shortage of workers, an increase of pay would bring more people into the field.

For certain temporary or seasonal jobs, then they could bring in foreign seasonal workers but that has to be carefully regulated, not a free-for-all that's done just to keep wages rock bottom. All temporary guest workers should be carefully screened, the employer should be required to pay all the costs associated with them, and should have to follow wage guidelines, but also be required to prove that Americans were not interested in the job and not simply because the wages are too low to make it worth it.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,798,244 times
It's unbelievable there are still people who buy into this "we need illegals to survive." Greedy, law-breaking employers need them to make the big buck. Hard-working Americans never hard anything to gain from illegal immigration. In fact, they pay dearly for illegal immigration. Our schools, hospitals, jails, roads are overcrowded with people who are here illegally. Tax dollars are used to pay for services used by illegals. Most of you are smart, so I know you won't be fooled by these ridiculous claims of "we need illegals."

Last edited by davidt1; 08-31-2008 at 01:03 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's unbelievable there are still people who buy into this "we need illegals to survive." Greedy, law-breaking employers need them to make the big buck. Hard-working Americans never hard anything to gain from illegal immigration. In fact, they pay dearly for illegal immigration. Our schools, hospitals, jails, roads are overcrowded with people who are here illegally. Tax dollars are used to pay for services used by illegals. Most of you are smart, so I know you won't be fooled by these ridiculous claims of "we need illegals."
This is absolutely right on. The only ones benefitting directy are Businesses who employ them. While we do see reduced prices on certain things like vegetables we are seeing prices of other things like health insurance sky rocket due the illegal invasion.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
They don't actually "believe" this garbage. They have exhausted all of their arguments in support of illegal immigration, or more accurately -- their lies have been dispelled; ergo, this is all they have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration