Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 06:20 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,967,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Well, I won't shy away from questions. I'm 20 years old, i worked in an office for six months until last October, and I pay taxes. I'm currently about to take a job as a pizza delievery man. The reason why California has slid in the past few years, traffic congestion/commute time, overpriced homes, run down neighborhoods and poor schools. These are not produced by illegal immigrants. except for children having the inability to speak strong English in public schools. Most homes were built in the 40's and 50's, they need remodeling. The high populations consists of job opportunities. The congestion caused by 36 million people who reside in the state, fourteen million more than any other state. The overpriced homes from willing buyers who desire the weather, a proffesional job, and an upscale community. Their are blacks, whites, latinos, and asians in Los Angeles County who have members involved in gangs and are in prison, and degrade the community around them. Their are illegal immigrants who are involved in gang activities and degrade communities, but their the only ones taking cheap shots. Where might you live? If I post immigrant statistics, you folks will show a confirmation bias towards your own opinions.
Twenty years old....that explains it. You weren't around when Americans did the work that supposedly Americans won't do now. You haven't seen the construction trade become taken over by illegals, and other trades as well. You are too young to have children in schools that can't get a decent education because all the attention and tax dollars are being spent on non-English speaking children.

A teacher friend who is trying to re-inter that profession is having a hard time finding a job because now it appears they need to be bilingual. Dallas had taken to hiring teacher from South America so they can communicate with the Central and South American illegal kids. How is that fair to an American citizen who want to teach?

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, it is based on your ideals - not facts or experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,640,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I noticed you didn't mention picking strawberries or working the fields, I have never seen a white guy working the strawberry fields alongside us Mexicans!! And as a youth I picked strawberries, my mom made me so that I know that never want to work in the fields again. It worked.

Plenty of white teens used to do farm work in the summer to make money for school. Kellyanne Conway and Laura Ingraham have talked about picking blueberries every summer when they were students. I picked blueberries myself. Also picked strawberries but that was at a "pick your own" farm.

Black migrant workers were bused up from the South on school buses and housed in barracks. They picked all sorts of veg for local farmers. Then LBJ gave them welfare so they stopped working. Farmers had to bring in illegals. They should have guest worker programs where no families are allowed and there is a time limit on their stay.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:22 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
May be a old thread but the issues continue with a slight variation.
I am from the old school (87) next week
At age 12, I worked a month on a tobacco farm ( anyone here who did that work knows what it entailed)

I also picked strawberries.

Big deal you might say...so what

Just pointing out what life was like back then while today's generation needs a shocking revalation of reality.

As long as the mkts produce section is full, it won't happen.

I am here in Baja and buy American produce and tomato's from Mexico in SD allo with South American fruit.

Looks like we are scratching each other's back.

Off the subject matter and bit...just throwing a little stuff in the pile

Old 08-04-2018, 02:51 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,901,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Top 5 Reasons Why I love Illegal Immigrants:

1) They do jobs I don't want to do.
2) Help make cities more vibrant.
3) I love Latin women.
4) They help divert attention from us African Americans.
5) I love Mexican and Central American food.
I dont know if this is a troll thread, but here goes.
1. That's you not everyone else.
2. Obviously that is debatable .
3. I think they are beautiful too, all the more so when they aren't criminals.
4. Maybe, maybe not.
5. I do to, many do, but you don't need illegals to prepare it.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:59 AM

63,089 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Plenty of white teens used to do farm work in the summer to make money for school. Kellyanne Conway and Laura Ingraham have talked about picking blueberries every summer when they were students. I picked blueberries myself. Also picked strawberries but that was at a "pick your own" farm.

Black migrant workers were bused up from the South on school buses and housed in barracks. They picked all sorts of veg for local farmers. Then LBJ gave them welfare so they stopped working. Farmers had to bring in illegals. They should have guest worker programs where no families are allowed and there is a time limit on their stay.

We already do have the unlimited H-2A visas for crop pickers so no, the farmers don't have to use illegal aliens. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:52 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,959,238 times
Calif once had the Bracera program ( Oxnard) where they worked the local fields on a rotation system. They were housed in large dorm facilities then later discontinued. Remember seeing some at a bus stop waiting to be returned back to Mexico.

Back to the Tobacco thing... 3 leaves tied together with string...33 bundles on a stick and 1300 sticks into the Kiln ( barn) as my memory recalls...all in one days work. Had to climb up into the rafters when hanging them...such fun...easier then picking strawberries...been there and done that.

Once went back to Ont. Canada to visit family ( born there) and cousin's husband who worked in a Grocery store saw Strawberries from Oxnard Calif. Picked with Mexican labor.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:14 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,288,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Top 5 Reasons Why I love Illegal Immigrants:

1) They do jobs I don't want to do.
2) Help make cities more vibrant.
3) I love Latin women.
4) They help divert attention from us African Americans.
5) I love Mexican and Central American food.
I gotta admit, I laughed out loud at #4.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:06 PM

20,803 posts, read 8,640,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Back to the Tobacco thing... 3 leaves tied together with string...33 bundles on a stick and 1300 sticks into the Kiln ( barn) as my memory recalls...all in one days work. Had to climb up into the rafters when hanging them...such fun...
My uncle did that. I had nightmares about the fat tobacco caterpillars!

I just realized this thread is eleven years old. Nothing much has changed.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:22 AM

37,159 posts, read 42,302,670 times
There are only so many "strawberries" that need picking and workers can rotate in and out without remaining in the country, that's been a thing forever. Besides, I think most of those jobs will soon be automated out of existence.

All the USA needs to do is control the flow of people coming into the country and making sure we only get the ones we want and need, and nobody can argue with that.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:13 AM

59,342 posts, read 27,505,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
May be a old thread but the issues continue with a slight variation.
I am from the old school (87) next week
At age 12, I worked a month on a tobacco farm ( anyone here who did that work knows what it entailed)

I also picked strawberries.

Big deal you might say...so what

Just pointing out what life was like back then while today's generation needs a shocking revalation of reality.

As long as the mkts produce section is full, it won't happen.

I am here in Baja and buy American produce and tomato's from Mexico in SD allo with South American fruit.

Looks like we are scratching each other's back.

Off the subject matter and bit...just throwing a little stuff in the pile
" ( anyone here who did that work knows what it entailed)"

AMEN, brother!

"Just pointing out what life was like back then while today's generation needs a shocking revalation of reality."

It is amazing to talk with so many parents who do NOT make little Johnny and Sally even make their own beds, much less do chores around the house, etc.

We hear from business's all the time about some today want GOOD PAYING jobs but do NOT want work.

They have NO work ethic. Certainly NOT all but, way too many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration