Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,160,367 times

Advertisements

I know who's picking the crops in Fresno, Latinos. Been on the farms myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM

50,489 posts, read 47,262,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think you are. You're posting what's obviously going to happen. There is not a good chance they will hire illegals back again since they got busted for doing so already.
At least use euphemisms a little less moldy That one was funny about 15 years ago. Now I'd put it in with Paris Hilton's phrase of the day.

And yes there are alternatives, like bankruptcy.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
before illegals, we had slaves. then after slaves we had mexicans and filipinos and japanese as well as white folk. in cali at least. but times change and the 4H farmer mentality doesnt really translate all that well to a more tech savvy youth populace. im thinking of california here.
while farmers both large and small did grow crops. the technology of farming has increased to the point where now you need quite a bit of workers to work machinery and to pick crops. its not the same farming as before. im talking about this country now. not the way it was 60 years ago. cost of living has increased and peoples expectation of what is needed in life has changed. is rural areas it might be different. but in urban areas, there are jobs that the "others" do.

i would suggest you ask around to see who is willing to pick fruit in a field. or who is willing to scrub toilets. and then ask at what pay rate? ima do the same. im interested in knowing.

as for companies taking a loss in profit. never gunna happen. the more they have to pay their workers, the more they will charge us
. or have it subsidized by the gov't. which still costs us.

its all about money in the end
Yes, it is all about money. However, consumers are not benefiting from illegal ‘slave’ labor; only those employing illegals reap the benefit. Not only have prices consistently increased, but we also now have the added burden of subsidizing the illegal workforce. We now are forced to provide everything for illegals that their scum employers don’t.

I refuse to believe a country with the technology to send humans into outer space, and countless other marvels, does not have the ingenuity to mechanize most farming functions. Technology has replaced humans in many industries. Jobs previously requiring several workers, now can be managed by one machine operator.

We keep hearing the mantra, “who will pick the fruit; who will clean the toilets?” Have you ever watched the program “Dirty Jobs?” Guess what? Americans have, and do, perform many nasty jobs. I can’t imagine fruit/veggie pickers and toilet cleaners being any less appealing than trash/garbage collectors; and we have always managed to have those jobs performed.

There will always be a need for low-skilled workers; and there will always be those who do not have the option of refusing those jobs if they want to support their families. We don’t need illegal aliens. If we need additional unskilled labor, we’ll ask for it. They are taking jobs from those who have no other means for survival.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:21 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,656,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I know who's picking the crops in Fresno, Latinos. Been on the farms myself.
Maybe part of the reason you don't see as many whites or blacks picking crops is that they don't speak spanish. We have heard many times that speaking spanish has become a requirement for some jobs, maybe field work is part of that. Also, maybe in an attempt to keep unity since there seems to be a bit, shall we say racial unrest?
I would be interested to see if anyone has any real answers beyond low wages and the apparent 'laziness' of americans to explain this phenomanom.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,680,556 times
i agree. we should be more technologically advanced in agriculture. i was in IOWA once, looking at how family relatives worked a combine that picked soy beans. very interesting. i learned that soy is a major major crop in the US, and that for crops such as soy, you need super expensive machines.

but for other work that cant be done with machines, how much would you charge?

i think my rate would start at about 12 to 15$. i live in LA after all.

but holding out for those wages might result in homelessness and starvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes, it is all about money. However, consumers are not benefiting from illegal ‘slave’ labor; only those employing illegals reap the benefit. Not only have prices consistently increased, but we also now have the added burden of subsidizing the illegal workforce. We now are forced to provide everything for illegals that their scum employers don’t.

I refuse to believe a country with the technology to send humans into outer space, and countless other marvels, does not have the ingenuity to mechanize most farming functions. Technology has replaced humans in many industries. Jobs previously requiring several workers, now can be managed by one machine operator.

We keep hearing the mantra, “who will pick the fruit; who will clean the toilets?” Have you ever watched the program “Dirty Jobs?” Guess what? Americans have, and do, perform many nasty jobs. I can’t imagine fruit/veggie pickers and toilet cleaners being any less appealing than trash/garbage collectors; and we have always managed to have those jobs performed.

There will always be a need for low-skilled workers; and there will always be those who do not have the option of refusing those jobs if they want to support their families. We don’t need illegal aliens. If we need additional unskilled labor, we’ll ask for it. They are taking jobs from those who have no other means for survival.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
how much would you charge to do this type of work? i think my rate would start at about 12 to 15$. i live in LA after all.

but holding out for those wages might result in homelessness and starvation.
Especially when there are people willing to do it for $5-8.

It is called scab labor my friend, and it is no friend to the working man/woman or the scab workers themselves.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM

what about prison populations for low skilled labor needs?

sentence people to 20 years hard pickin!

how do we ensure that our economy does not take a major hit once illegals are deported or start leaving?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:

how do we ensure that our economy does not take a major hit once illegals are deported or start leaving?
I second that motion! Really, I think most prisoners would be happy to earn extra money plus get out of the prison for hours during the day, hard labor or not. The only fly in the ointment would be the aclu who would no doubt call it inhumane But, once past the time spent in court proving it to be viable, yeah -- I think it would work beautifully. After all, most people in prison or non violant drug offenders. There would be no risk of dangerous felons on the prowl (well, unless they happened across a meth lab out in the country)

Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,589,502 times
Quote:

I agree; we should be using more non-violent prisoners for those jobs. I assure you, our economy won't tank without illegals. They are costing us billions each year they are here. The plantation owners also whined that this country couldn't survive without slaves. Obviously, they were wrong.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM

see we can all get along here. no need for name calling and such.
i think we just created a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration