Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,552,781 times

Advertisements

My state of Illinois adopted a healthcare plan called All Kids, which insures all kids in Illinois under the age of 19 regardless of their immigration status. It states right on the All Kids website that all kids are eligible, regardless of immigration status: About All Kids
Of course, this is on the Illinois taxpayer's dollar. What angers me about this, is that I have a very severly disabled brother, who my state shamefully ranks 51st in services for, and funding for the disabled was recently cut again to fund this all kids healthcare program. Illinois neglects special-needs citizens | NorthPointe Resources

My brother is 27-years-old, and has been cared for by parents for his entire life. He was born with a rare chromosome disorder called 18Q-, is autistic, has the mental capacity of a 1-year-old, and is extremely hard to care for. Think of a toddler in the body of an adult man. He needs everything done for him, 24/7 care. My parents are getting older now, and their wish for him is to live in a group home setting. Unfortunately, there is no money in Illinois to help the disabled. He has been on waiting lists to get into a group home for years and the day school he attends for 4 hours a day is in danger of being closed do to recent budget cuts. I'm really worried about his future, and my parents as he is really too much for them to handle. Illinois, a relatively wealthy state, ranks 51st out of the 50 states in services for the disabled. (Washington D.C. was included.) My parents are thinking of retiring to another state so my brother can get the care he needs. I think this is shameful. Kane County Chronicle - Local News and Video for Kane County, Illinois - Illinois ranks last in supporting small group homes for developmentally disabled

I am extremely angry that Illinois, who always has ranked near the bottom for services for the disabled, now ranks 51st as more money has been taken away from our most helpless disabled citizens so that we can provide free healthcare to illegal allien kids. There is only so much money to go around. Shouldn't we be caring for our own first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration