Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:03 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca.G View Post
Citizens did not want the cleaning and construction work in New Orleans . So called illegals are there now working hard as soon will be in Texas also.

After 08 most likely by 09 they will be given amnesty and America will rejoice as it is the right thing to do.
You know Bianca, you've been on this forum for a week now making ridiculous claims, and you've NEVER ONCE provided a SOURCE for the crap you post. No one can take you seriously when you refuse to back up any of your outrageous claims.

We've already discussed the fact that American workers were SENT AWAY from New Orleans because the Mexicans worked CHEAPER. You see, Americans DID want those jobs, that's why they were THERE, but employers wanted CHEAPER LABOR. If the same thing happens in Galveston, I hope American workers start 'dropping a dime' on EVERY CHEAP BASTARD THERE who hires an illegal alien.

Let ICE get involved and start PUNISHING those pricks who are destroying the workers of America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 12:28 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,086,407 times
Bianca - just because Obama will most likely win the election - seriously doubt anything will change regarding the status of illegal immigration, country will probably maintain the status quo - that is a hotbox issue. He is promising a lot of change but that change is most likely for American citizens and not for the status of those who are illegal. Everyone makes promises that they can't keep. Personally, I believe that any person of illegal status who has risked their life to fight for our country in our military should be granted immediate citizenship because he or she has shown his or her devotion to their homeland but that doesn't happen either. Those who work hard in school and put themselves through universities to become hard-working productive Americans should also have consideration because it is a real shame that people can earn a degree but it is rendered useless by their immigration status.

Yes, Galveston will probably be built by Hispanic laborers - the majority of "new" Houston is built by that labor force. And, despite that - the unemployment rate here is relatively low compared to the rest of the country - those who want a job can get a job. The key word is "want" and not "hand out." Guy, I understand your frustrations (even though you think I probably don't) -- I too tire of seeing this country lose our language and cater to those who speak something else (billboard and commercials in non-English) but we have illegal immigrants coming here from all over the world only to be "lost in America." When I travel, I certainly don't expect citizens of other countries to speak English to me (when they do it is nice though) so I assume I may be a bit lost and neglected when traveling if I don't know the country's language and have to find workarounds. But people come here and assume that we'll speak their language which is just wrong. But the country has learned to work with it and it isn't as simple anymore as sending everyone back - it has gone too far and the implications of loss of workers, etc. would affect everyone - even you. The majority of people here are too spoiled to work for a lower dollar amount, as our parents may have (and as some of us may have) -- just look how many refuse to step out of their gas guzzling vehicles and into something smaller and more economical but yet they want the fuel handed to them for almost free (not considering the $$$ it takes to explore, produce, refine fossil fuels nor the employees who do all that work have to be paid as well and not the high dollar ones but the worker bees doing the actual work). It is a complex issue that will take a lot of work to resolve.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:50 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,241,814 times
texas7: how can any illegal immigrant even get into our Armed Forces?

If anything: precedent was already set when an illegal (from Mexico) used the ID of a deceased legal Hispanic; became a police officer in Wisconsin-----------was unmasked and deported. He was lucky: the ex cop could have served hard time in a US prison for ID theft if nothing else.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,086,407 times
They are in our military. 60 minutes just did a story about one such young man who recently received severe injuries -- quite touching. His comments were that he valued this country that was his home and wanted to repay them so he enlisted as soon as he could age-wise. How that happens I don't know but it didn't seem to be a big secret in the military so I'm not sure if they knew his status or not but it indicated that there are many more in the same situation (not all Hispanic). Check it out - there were approximately 35,000 non-citizens in our military in 2007. If you are willing to sincerely fight for this country - I would have to say you deserve to be here.

Immigration bill offers a military path to US dream - The Boston Globe

Old 09-21-2008, 02:06 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
They are in our military. 60 minutes just did a story about one such young man who recently received severe injuries -- quite touching. His comments were that he valued this country that was his home and wanted to repay them so he enlisted as soon as he could age-wise. How that happens I don't know but it didn't seem to be a big secret in the military so I'm not sure if they knew his status or not but it indicated that there are many more in the same situation (not all Hispanic). Check it out - there were approximately 35,000 non-citizens in our military in 2007. If you are willing to sincerely fight for this country - I would have to say you deserve to be here.

Immigration bill offers a military path to US dream - The Boston Globe
The DREAM Act never passed, so I think you may be mistaken. I do know that green card holders (who are LEGAL immigrants) can enlist in the services and get expedited citizenship, but as far as I can determine this is NOT being offered to ILLEGAL aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration