Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

[quote=nicolem;5401002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
[/b]

Agreed. If you recall, one of the strongest "selling points" of the NAFTA agreement was that it would reduce the illegal alien invasion. I still remember Bill Clinton and members of both sides of the aisle on tv saying NAFTA would reduce and all but eliminate the illegal alien invasion. Gee more lies from our government. And remember NAFTA was supposed to end this illegal invasion after the 1986 amnesty was supposed to end it as well.
Yes, unfortunately, I do recall all of the above. Upon it's expiration NAFTA should not be renewed. I'm sure Canadians would be in agreement. It's time to stop babysitting the cesspool to the south and let them fix their own messes or finish killing each other off. Either way, we'd come out ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Welfare recipients are US citizens------------illegals are not.

Next!
Agreed they are US citizens, does it make it easier for you to swallow because they are citizens? I don't like taking care of them either. I have no problem with the ones that really need it, but there is a good share that do not.
I don't think I have ever been shown that Illegals make use of our welfare system.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:06 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
How can the welfare crowd in this country honestly NOT work?
Apples and oranges.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
How can the welfare crowd in this country honestly NOT work?
Once again, Sassyone, this is just SILLY....what does OUR in-house welfare abuse have to do with illegal immigration? It's an attempt to bring 'emotion' into the discussion where none belongs...no different, really, from that old favorite refrain, "Why do we always harp on the violent criminal illegals? After all, we have PLENTY of violent criminals who are US citizens". Cute point, maybe...but totally irrelevant. Our domestic problems, and the "locals" who cause them, in NO WAY mean we should import MORE problems from elsewhere.

You're legally responsible for YOUR teenagers...you're NOT legally responsible for MINE.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Agreed they are US citizens, does it make it easier for you to swallow because they are citizens? .
YES, Sassyone, it does. When my wife puts a dent in my car, it's not easy to 'swallow'....but it is a TINY bit easier to swallow than when the lady down the street takes my car without permission, and SHE puts a dent in it.

TWO dents, BOTH bad....one easier to 'swallow' than the other...make sense?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Apples and oranges.
But aren't they BOTH healthy and nutritious? What do you have against fruit, anyway?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,094,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Once again, Sassyone, this is just SILLY....what does OUR in-house welfare abuse have to do with illegal immigration? It's an attempt to bring 'emotion' into the discussion where none belongs...no different, really, from that old favorite refrain, "Why do we always harp on the violent criminal illegals? After all, we have PLENTY of violent criminals who are US citizens". Cute point, maybe...but totally irrelevant. Our domestic problems, and the "locals" who cause them, in NO WAY mean we should import MORE problems from elsewhere.

You're legally responsible for YOUR teenagers...you're NOT legally responsible for MINE.
Have we not discussed the illegals taking advantage of our services? Yes, of course we have and one of them was welfare.
I have zero use for anyone that uses the services because they are too d**n lazy to get off their butts and work. It does not make me feel any better that they are US citizens.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
But aren't they BOTH healthy and nutritious? What do you have against fruit, anyway?
Correction: Apples and light bulbs.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Have we not discussed the illegals taking advantage of our services? Yes, of course we have and one of them was welfare.
I have zero use for anyone that uses the services because they are too d**n lazy to get off their butts and work. It does not make me feel any better that they are US citizens.
Sassyone, you refuse to make a distinction between invited guests and burglars. Truly sad.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
It has been claimed that the job loss that resulted from NAFTA is the reason for millions of poverty stricken illegals from SOB invading us. Yet I keep reading articles claiming NAFTA is a success for Mexico. Apparently somebody SOB is benefitting from NAFTA, yet all we are getting is a net gain of the bottom of Mexico's cesspool and net loss in jobs and sovereignty.
I'm assuming that the only knowledge of NAFTA you have is of articles you've googled of the internet in your spare time, but the myth that NAFTA has hurt the U.S. is one that has been propagated very widely by both liberals and conservatives as well. I was one of those who lazily assumed it was a mistake, until taking my senior marketing class with a professor who advises Congress on bilateral trade, where we studied free trade in great detail.

It would take me a week to explain to you how NAFTA helps all three countries in the accord. Unless you're a blue collar manufacturing worker from Ohio, the U.S. economy has netted about 10 million jobs and grown much larger in the timespan since. While the U.S. and Canada have reaped the largest benefits of the agreement, Mexico has seen substantial economic gains as well, especially in its lucrative maquiladora industry, which courts corporate customers from around the world.

Yes, there are losers from NAFTA (especially in rural Mexico) but the overall effect has been keeping the economies of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico competitive with the lower wage producers of East Asia. It's a win-win-win for all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration