Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,180,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Also, many jobs are requiring degrees now, and computer skills. Which places uneducated people and people who are not computer savvy at a disadvantage.

Not everyone who has learned Spanish is Hispanic. Almost every college offers Spanish courses, in addition to other European languages.
There are many non-Hispanic people who have learned Spanish because they wanted to, or they realize its an important skill and puts them at an advantage to others who aren't bilingual.

The job market is survival of the fittest. Having more skills making you more desirable to employers isn't anything new.

You are supposed to have skills that benefit to the business you are working for...it's not supposed to be the business accommodating you.
Considering that more and more of the illegal Hispanic people are self deporting due to our sour economy................the need for Spanish is diminishing as well. Most American 'Latinos' understand English and many speak it well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Considering that more and more of the illegal Hispanic people are self deporting due to our sour economy................the need for Spanish is diminishing as well. Most American 'Latinos' understand English and many speak it well
Only illegal Hispanics speak Spanish? There isn't any legal immigrants or even citizens who prefer Spanish for certain things? We don't share a border with Mexico and do a lot of business with Mexico?

Spanish will always be very present in this country, and an important language for our region(the Americas).
That's why many people in Europe are polyglots. They do business with their neighbors, and understand the importance of communication with each other.

I don't see any sign of the need for Spanish diminishing.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,458,469 times
Quote:
Only illegal Hispanics speak Spanish? There isn't any legal immigrants or even citizens who prefer Spanish for certain things? We don't share a border with Mexico and do a lot of business with Mexico?

Spanish will always be very present in this country, and an important language for our region(the Americas).
That's why many people in Europe are polyglots. They do business with their neighbors, and understand the importance of communication with each other.

Quote:
I don't see any sign of the need for Spanish diminishing
Your not looking hard enough.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Your not looking hard enough.
Wanna point me in the direction?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Wanna point me in the direction?
You'll find it all through this forum.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You'll find it all through this forum.
I'm finding something all right.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 PM

The Digest examines the Spanish-speaking group in the United States, its growth through net immigration and natural increase, and its eventual decline as speakers shift to English.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:

I don't see any sign of the need for Spanish diminishing.
Irrelevant:

The attitude in favor 'multiculturalism is dying a (well deserved) natural death.

Too; outside of most of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is a minor language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Irrelevant:

The attitude in favor 'multiculturalism is dying a (well deserved) natural death.

Too; outside of most of Latin America and Spain; Spanish is a minor language whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.
I don't see multiculturalism dying(maybe in Arizona?), but like always, people assimilate.

Spanish is up there with the top languages of the world, a long with English, Cantonese. Latin America and Spain is a pretty big hunk of land, not to mention the large Spanish speaking population in the United States. You're dismissive attitude towards it may be due to a biased attitude stemming from this immigration issue. I can't call it, though.

The whole Anglo/American superiority complex is pretty outdated in this day and age.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I don't see multiculturalism dying(maybe in Arizona?), but like always, people assimilate.

Spanish is up there with the top languages of the world, a long with English, Cantonese. Latin America and Spain is a pretty big hunk of land, not to mention the large Spanish speaking population in the United States. You're dismissive attitude towards it may be due to a biased attitude stemming from this immigration issue. I can't call it, though.

The whole Anglo/American superiority complex is pretty outdated in this day and age.
FYI: I am the son of a legal immigrant from Hungary, my father learned English----------and, learned it well.

And; yes, I am extremely prejudiced against illegal immigrants---------no matter their actual race/ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration