Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,297 times

Advertisements

(WHAS11) - Until recent years, Kentucky wasn’t a major destination for illegal immigrants.

Those who came here were mostly migrant workers or employees in the equestrian industry.

But a new wave of illegal immigrants has been arriving in recent years, and law enforcement agencies say many of these undocumented citizens are bringing with them drugs, gangs and violent crime.

Illegal immigrants arrive in Kentuckiana daily.

While most are here for a better life, police say others have direct ties to deadly gangs and even the Mexican mafia. Shelbyville looks like most small towns in Middle America.

A quaint downtown, a thriving farm community, and in general a good quality of life.

Hundreds of newcomers flock here each year, many from Mexico just like Juan Rodriguez.

Juan Rodriguez said, “I crossed the desert. I didn’t drink water for many days. I was lost. I was by myself.”

Rodriguez and his wife, who he met in Kentucky, came for one thing.

Rodriguez said, “We came here because we want to be better. Have a better life.”

www.whas11.com (http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/WHAS11_081124_Top_MexicanGangs.1e6b94ab4.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 07:00 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
(WHAS11) - Until recent years, Kentucky wasn’t a major destination for illegal immigrants.

Those who came here were mostly migrant workers or employees in the equestrian industry.

But a new wave of illegal immigrants has been arriving in recent years, and law enforcement agencies say many of these undocumented citizens are bringing with them drugs, gangs and violent crime.

While most are here for a better life, police say others have direct ties to deadly gangs and even the Mexican mafia. Shelbyville looks like most small towns in Middle America.

A quaint downtown, a thriving farm community, and in general a good quality of life.

Hundreds of newcomers flock here each year, many from Mexico just like Juan Rodriguez.

Juan Rodriguez said, “I crossed the desert. I didn’t drink water for many days. I was lost. I was by myself.”

Rodriguez said, “We came here because we want to be better. Have a better life.”

www.whas11.com (http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/WHAS11_081124_Top_MexicanGangs.1e6b94ab4.html - broken link)
To be honest, the only place in KY that has a major illegal alien problem (from what i've heard) is Shelbyville, although some noise is being made in Lexington also. Thankfully Kentucky, as of right now, does not have any sanctuary cities so if one of these illegals acts up there will be h%^$ to pay for them. So while this aint good news, i'm sure KY wont be any worse than Northern VA when it comes to illegals.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:35 PM

385 posts, read 626,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

Why the eye roll? Most immigrants that come to this country do actually want a better life. They want a better life and more opportunities for their children than they themselves were afforded.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM

136 posts, read 292,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
Why the eye roll? Most immigrants that come to this country do actually want a better life. They want a better life and more opportunities for their children than they themselves were afforded.
But the majority of us only accept legals not illegals, the latter of which this thread is based upon and whom we have every right to criticize.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:47 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,381 times
Quote:
Yes, but a big difference, these ppl are sneaking over the borders of our country and that's no an immigrant but an illegal alien., ship their butt home and enter the correct way or stay home......

Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Legal immigrants are welcome here

Illegal immigrants are all lawbreakers with most committing Felonies.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
The eye roll is the frustration people have when laws are broken and lives are ruined for the offender's selfish purposes. That is a commonly used phrase. You may want a better life but that does not give you the right to break laws to get it. I'm moving pretty close to that area of Kentucky (Elizabethtown/Louisville which does not have that many illegals) to have a better life than i have in Northern VA now but that does not give me the right to keep my Virginia plates on my car 2 years after i've been there.

If you want a better life, go through the long, hard, and honest work to get it and do not take shortcuts. You will love yourself when you are able to bask in the fruits of your labor knowing that you did it the right way.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Legal immigrants are welcome here
I think we have plenty of people here for now.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:27 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If you want a better life, go through the long, hard, and honest work to get it and do not take shortcuts. You will love yourself when you are able to bask in the fruits of your labor knowing that you did it the right way.
Bingo

Old 11-25-2008, 10:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,423 times
and I would also add that many an American citizen also want a better life, thus the rise in drug dealing, common petty theft and burglary, oh and ARMED robbery, all for the better life.

If the illegals want a better life, fine, great and dandy. Do it the right way, the legal way, the American way and we will welcome you with open arms,(ok maybe not that).

That is the problem we have with the illegals. They want to have the benefits of citizenship without the hassel of waiting a few years.

Hum in retrospect, maybe the illegals would make good citizens as they also want it right now.......like the rest of us maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration