Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times

Advertisements

While he follows the sun and the money, he's not the tanned tennis pro who travels from resort to resort or the beach bum who follows his whims. Aleman is a modern migrant worker, but rather than toiling in the fields of yore, this summer he worked at Nantucket Yacht Club as a dishwasher, cleaning the silver and stemware of the high-society set.

Resorts, hotels, and restaurants far and wide have hired him - and many others - to work on their lawns or in their kitchens.

Part of an emerging underground network that functions largely by word of mouth, Aleman is a simple worker who represents a complex problem: While he seems to have it great, his labor is often difficult and his life rootless. And while he uses his pay to support a family in the United States and Honduras, he is often accused of taking jobs from locals.

"Everybody's always confused about how I got here," the 41-year-old Honduran native said as he leaned back in his chair recently at a Nantucket restaurant. "They say, 'Julian has no car, no money.' I have only connections. I got a lot of friends everywhere, a lot of connections."

Today's migrant worker: life in shadows of opulence - The Boston Globe

I can't even say I'm surprised by any of this. If wealthy Americans wish to employ slaves then they should bear the every ounce of financial and legal responsibility. They should also be held accountable for every single crime they commit as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:04 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I can't even say I'm surprised by any of this. If wealthy Americans wish to employ slaves then they should bear the every ounce of financial and legal responsibility. They should also be held accountable for every single crime they commit as well.
I couldn't agree more, JDubs.

Quote:
This summer, Aleman earned $16 an hour as a dishwasher. He lived in a tiny, third-floor room on the yacht club grounds for free.
Don't tell me there aren't legal citizens willing to bust suds for $16/hr.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I couldn't agree more, JDubs.

Don't tell me there aren't legal citizens willing to bust suds for $16/hr.
Exactly. But the problem with that is a citizen's employment would be documented. He/she would have the right to employee benefits and would have to pay taxes. Since illegal aliens aren't supposed to be here, does not want to pay taxes and receives free healthcare courtesy of the American tax payers, both the illegal and the wealthy traitors benefit equally.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 12-03-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Exactly. But the problem with that is a citizen's employment would be documented. He/she would have the right to employee benefits and would have to pay taxes. Since illegal aliens aren't supposed to be here, does not want to pay taxes and receives free healthcare courtesy of the American tax payers, both the illegal and the wealthy traitors benefit equally.
Yep, plus this illegal gets free housing to boot.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yep, plus this illegal gets free housing to boot.
I'm sure it's no coincidence that the wealthy liberals have groups such as the ACLU fighting on behalf of their illegal alien slaves. I'm also willing to bet that Pelosi, Kennedy, Reid and more than a few others in congress not only employs them in vineyards and various other family ventures, but in their homes as well.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's no coincidence that the wealthy liberals have groups such as the ACLU fighting on behalf of their illegal alien slaves. I'm also willing to bet that Pelosi, Kennedy, Reid and more than a few others in congress not only employs them in vineyards and various other family ventures, but in their homes as well.
I certainly wouldn't bet you on that, or I'd most likely lose. They are all a bunch of traitorous slave peddlers.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't bet you on that, or I'd most likely lose. They are all a bunch of traitorous slave peddlers.
As evidenced for their all out push for amnesty at any cost. For the sake of the survival of their multitude of lucrative business ventures, I'm sure when amnesty fails AGAIN, they will institute another waive of VISA entitlements.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:31 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,111 times
Quote:
Even Mitt Romney hired illegals to do his lawn...

Quote:
Romney makes a big issue of being tough on illegal immigrants. He has pushed for a wall on the Mexican border so hard that Bill O'Reilly offered to call it the "Mitt Romney Memorial Wall."

The only problem is, Romney has hired illegal immigrants to tend his gardens for over 10 years. Three illegal immigrants interviewed by the Boston Globe said they have worked on Romney's lawn for years, that he greets them with a "Buenos dias", and that his wife was friendly and often asks how they are. Two were interviewed back in Guatemala, where they have returned. They made $8 to $9 per hour working 11 hour days. "They wanted that house to look really nice," said one worker, now back in Copado, Guatemala. "It took a long time." The other, Rene Alvarez Rosales (now in Suchitepequez, Guatemala) said it cost him about $5,000 to have a smuggler take him across the border.

Picture of Mitt Romney
Mitt Romney's Skeleton Closet

Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Yet he paid 5000 to be smuggled but can't afford 250 to start the process to come here legally. Boot him.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
You don't think the present Republican administration...all 8 years of it...could have done something about it? You don't think that Republicans protect illegal immigration too? This isn't about the right or the left...it's about greedy, unethical CORPORATIONS and businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration