Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:30 AM

470 posts, read 1,164,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
I wasn't originally going to reply to you but I will say this.

The culture of Mexico isn't dramatically different from American culture as you seem to think. The cultures are not that different at all.

Mexican culture is very much European, and there shouldn't be too much of a culture shock between the two.
It depends what part of the country you are in and in what social class you hang out with...

One thing I hate about mexican culture is their fixation with "whiteness", in some ways white mexicans are more racists than the whites in this country, almost like they are above the mestizos..

Anyways sorry about the ranting but I agree mexico needs more people to stand up to the corruption and violence. Obviusly alot of it has to do with the poverty level of the country..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
It depends what part of the country you are in and in what social class you hang out with...

One thing I hate about mexican culture is their fixation with "whiteness", in some ways white mexicans are more racists than the whites in this country, almost like they are above the mestizos..

Anyways sorry about the ranting but I agree mexico needs more people to stand up to the corruption and violence. Obviusly alot of it has to do with the poverty level of the country..
The status quo in Mexico hasn't really been challenged like it was in the U.S. in the 1960s.

After the Spanish were kicked it out, it was Spanish on top, Mestizos in the middle, Indians at the bottom.

After the Mexican Revolution it stayed the same way.

I think the status quo is more easily accepted in Mexico than the United States, because Mexico doesn't have as much diversity. And there have been no major events to test that race based class system.

Spain lost Mexico, but the Spaniards never lost control of it.

Racism in Mexico is a strange thing though, I can't say I really understand it all that much.
The rich people stick to themselves, and popular culture of Mexico usually reflects their interests(novelas and such), but I think the mestizo population of Mexico, which is the majority, have their own identity they are proud of.
The soap opera may be a blue eyed European, but the national heroes the country loves are usually of indigenous or mestizo stock.

Incidentally, Mexico had a Black president a long time before the United States ever did.
Also, no one is revered by the common Mexican people and Chicanos in America more than Pancho Villa, Emiliano Zapata, and Benito Juarez. All of whom were either Indian or of strong Indian descent.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post

Quote:
The status quo in Mexico hasn't really been challenged like it was in the U.S. in the 1960s.

After the Spanish were kicked it out, it was Spanish on top, Mestizos in the middle, Indians at the bottom.

After the Mexican Revolution it stayed the same way.

I think the status quo is more easily accepted in Mexico than the United States, because Mexico doesn't have as much diversity. And there have been no major events to test that race based class system.

Spain lost Mexico, but the Spaniards never lost control of it.

Racism in Mexico is a strange thing though, I can't say I really understand it all that much.
The rich people stick to themselves, and popular culture of Mexico usually reflects their interests(novelas and such), but I think the mestizo population of Mexico, which is the majority, have their own identity they are proud of.
The soap opera may be a blue eyed European, but the national heroes the country loves are usually of indigenous or mestizo stock.

Incidentally, Mexico had a Black president a long time before the United States ever did.
Also, no one is revered by the common Mexican people and Chicanos in America more than Pancho Villa, Emiliano Zapata, and Benito Juarez. All of whom were either Indian or of strong Indian descent.
I could almost understand the racism if Whites were the majority as in Argentina----------but, they are ca. only 10% of the population of Mexico.

In fact: along those lines; in National Geographic I remember reading about a 'brown' Latina from maybe Ecuador visiting Spain, the Spanish people treated her like crap where in England she was treated with much more respect.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,289,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I could almost understand the racism if Whites were the majority as in Argentina----------but, they are ca. only 10% of the population of Mexico.

In fact: along those lines; in National Geographic I remember reading about a 'brown' Latina from maybe Ecuador visiting Spain, the Spanish people treated her like crap where in England she was treated with much more respect.
Racism is in every country to some extent. That 10 percent has a lot of influence in that country.

The majority of Mexicans, mestizos, as well as Mexican-Americans are very proud of their indigenous culture, as well as their Mexican culture. As I said, Mexico had a Black president two centuries before the U.S. did, and all you have to do is look at the heroes that are held highly in Mexico. They cross color lines from African, Indian, Mestizo, European.

From what I've seen, a lot of anti-Mexican illegals base their beliefs on novelas(pop culture) instead of the actual heritage of Mexico.

Racism in Mexico is more systematic than anything, along with some ignorant attitudes that are present in every country.

It's troubling when I see a lot of the hardcore anti-illegals try to discredit Mexican people by calling Mexico a "racist country". Very self-righteous and stupid to do that.

America has had more of it's fair share of racism, but I wouldn't consider it a "racist country".

I think some people who have been told all their lives that racists are always white people are astonished to discover ignorant attitudes lie within people of color as well.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,256,564 times
Quote:
Racism is in every country to some extent. That 10 percent has a lot of influence in that country.

The majority of Mexicans, mestizos, as well as Mexican-Americans are very proud of their indigenous culture, as well as their Mexican culture. As I said, Mexico had a Black president two centuries before the U.S. did, and all you have to do is look at the heroes that are held highly in Mexico. They cross color lines from African, Indian, Mestizo, European.

From what I've seen, a lot of anti-Mexican illegals base their beliefs on novelas(pop culture) instead of the actual heritage of Mexico.

Racism in Mexico is more systematic than anything, along with some ignorant attitudes that are present in every country.

It's troubling when I see a lot of the hardcore anti-illegals try to discredit Mexican people by calling Mexico a "racist country". Very self-righteous and stupid to do that.

America has had more of it's fair share of racism, but I wouldn't consider it a "racist country".

I think some people who have been told all their lives that racists are always white people are astonished to discover ignorant attitudes lie within people of color as well.
I agree with you that racists exist within all races and all countries. Even more astounding is how often the race card is pulled and by some who are among the worst of racists. The self haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration