Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,293,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
On that we agree. It's too bad 20% of the population lack that fortitude.
Not to completely justify those coming illegally, but they also lack the means. I'm talking about the educated people, who are in position to make a difference. People that have power, and a voice, which unfortunately, the poorest Mexicans don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:42 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,938,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Not to completely justify those coming illegally, but they also lack the means. I'm talking about the educated people, who are in position to make a difference. People that have power, and a voice, which unfortunately, the poorest Mexicans don't.
Yeah, yeah, that is always what we hear. I don't see them even trying to change their country. What I do see is the fact that they come over here as fast as they possibly can, though our economy is scaring them now. That is one good thing that comes of it. There is no justification for them breaking each and every law they deem necessary to get what they want.

Last edited by Anonymous Political Junky; 12-06-2008 at 06:02 PM..

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,280,869 times
Quote:
In all seriousness though, Mexico really needs both these days. There are a lot of people dedicated to fighting the corruption.

I have a great respect for Mexican journalists. While American media tends to lean towards sensationalism a lot, the Mexican journalists risk their lives(and many times lose them) on a daily basis to expose the corrupt network of dirty authorities, politicians, and gangsters.

I think they are a great example of what journalism is about: getting the truth out to the people no matter what.

I also respect those lawyers who have made it their cause to fight the corruption in the Mexican judicial system.

Mexico has a lot of corruption, but at least it is free enough to allow people who resist that corruption. The existence of activists, journalists, clean authorities and politicians, students, and lawyers makes me feel confident in Mexico's future.

There is light at the end of Mexico's tunnel.
Actually I agree with you. LOL See its not impossible after all!!!!
The question remains. Even with journalists reporting, and lawyers standing up will the corrupt powers in Mexico do anything about the drug lords? Many if not most are in bed with the cartels. I would hope that enough would see the advantage of a less corrupt system to actually make a difference.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
yeah, yeah, that is always what we hear. I don't see them even trying to change their country. What I do see is the fact that they come over here as fast as they possibly can, though our economy is scaring them now. That is one good thing that comes of it. There is no justification for them breaking each and every law they deem necessary to get what they want.
I'm saying that it's up to the educated middle/upper class of Mexico to make a difference in Mexico.

Unfortunately, the poorer Mexicans such as the ones sneaking into this country don't have much of a voice, and probably don't care about politics. They know the quick solution to their immediate problems.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,790,889 times
Dude....bummer.

It used to be that the press was "immune" and a useful propaganda tool for criminals and crazies....but no longer it looks like...

Old 12-06-2008, 06:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,614,425 times
Quote:
Perhaps they need a leader who is willing to make the sacrifice to enact change. Perhaps they must WANT change, and be willing to fight and die for their rights. Poor black people and MLK come to mind.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps they need a leader who is willing to make the sacrifice to enact change. Perhaps they must WANT change, and be willing to fight and die for their rights. Poor black people and MLK come to mind.
Well, one big change was getting the PRI out of office after an uninterrupted control over the government for 70 years.

I don't know about the comparison between the Black civil rights movement and what's going on in Mexico.

In the immigration context, I wonder what it would have been like if Black Americans had a more prosperous nation next door that offered more than they had in that era.

Like the great migration. Many thought the North, Midwest, West would be a better place, so they headed there only to find many of the same problems.(Not comparing migration within the US to illegal immigrations, but using it as an example of the desire to go somewhere better).

In my opinion, and my opinion only, I think the options of Black people were limited. Either sit and deal with the status quo, or do something about it. There really wasn't a third choice.

Not to downplay the movement at all, but it's something to think about when suggesting those coming to the United States are weaker or more indifferent.
Aside from the motives of illegal immigrants..

I think Mexico will come around. They don't have an MLK, because I think the problems are more complex than racial differences(although they do exist in Mexico). But they do have activists, journalists, and lawyers determined for change.

In the United States, the country was doing a lot of things right. They just didn't apply to everyone.

In Mexico, a lot of the system itself has to be improved.

I'm confident they will come around though. Mexico is a relatively young country that is still going through big changes. Their civil war was less than a hundred years ago, getting an opposition party to the PRI was a big change. The status quo is being challenged by lawyers and educated people with the interests of Mexico in mind.

In my opinion, the U.S. itself didn't get it right until 40 years ago. And we're still improving.

I'm ranting, now.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,496,432 times
Quote:
You either justify illegals or you don't. There's no in between.
I've never heard a person receiving leniency for murder because it wasn't completely wrong to kill someone during a robbery..

Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,496,432 times
Quote:
I'm saying that it's up to the educated middle/upper class of Mexico to make a difference in Mexico.

Unfortunately, the poorer Mexicans such as the ones sneaking into this country don't have much of a voice, and probably don't care about politics. They know the quick solution to their immediate problems.
So it's alright for them to drag their problems up here to the US?
I would seem that if they were trying to get away from that kind of life they would be will to leave they're old lifestyle behind.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. Most of them bring Old Mexico ,Southern/Cental America or their country of origin with them and live the same way here with no intentions of changing.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 12-06-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
So it's alright for them to drag their problems up here to the US?
I would seem that if they were trying to get away from that kind of life they would be will to leave they're old lifestyle behind.
But that doesn't seem to be the case. Most of them bring Old Mexico ,Southern/Cental America or their country of origin with them and live the same way here with no intentions of changing.
I wasn't originally going to reply to you but I will say this.

The culture of Mexico isn't dramatically different from American culture as you seem to think. The cultures are not that different at all.

Mexican culture is very much European, and there shouldn't be too much of a culture shock between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration