Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It's fun to scapegoat illegal immigrants for everything isn't it?
so much for her reading comprehension.
and she says she prepares cases for court. i call for a review of all those cases!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,297 times
[LEFT]

[/LEFT]
Illegal Aliens Drive Another Hospital To Closure

By Digger
Here's a nice article from the New York Times on the recent announcement by NorthridgeCenter that they will be closing by December 31. This follows a recent announcement of the closure of the Elastar Community Hospital in East Los Angeles.
Four other emergency rooms have closed in the county in the last two years. The reason given is the high cost of treating uninsured people. The article also states that 70 hospital emergency rooms and trauma centers have closed in California since 1990.
"We're mandated to treat anyone who comes in through those doors, regardless of their ability to pay," Tracey Veal, a spokeswoman for the Northridge hospital, said. Ms. Veal estimated that the hospital had spent $13 million on so-called charity care in the fiscal year that ended on June 30.
While the New York Times does not exactly specify illegal aliens as the cause, it is quite obvious by these numbers.
"This is definitely cause for alarm," Carol Meyer, director of the Los Angeles County Emergency Agency, said on Friday in an interview. Ms. Meyer said 30 percent of the nine million people in the county were underinsured or had no medical insurance at all. Statewide, seven million people are uninsured, according to the California Medical Association.
So, lets break these numbers down. 30% of 9 million is about 3.3 million people or nearly half of the 7 million in California that are uninsured, That's just in their county. While everyones health insurance goes up to cover the uninsured, we get poorer and poorer service. If you pay your insurance on time for coverage for you or your family and there is an emergency you may just end up having to drive an extra 10-15 miles to get to an emergency room. Upon arriving you may be in line behind someone who doesn't pay, but expects the same services you receive.
Something has to be done of course. Illegal aliens receiving this free service should be number one on the list. Preventing illegals from being here in the first place is a law after all. Hospitals should be able to note whether someone is here illegally. The only way to tackle the issues is with full disclosure and good input data. If you don't know the breakdown of why someone is uninsured how can you fix the problem?
The county estimates the cost of providing them with care is $340 million annually.
Here's a first hand account of the free ride illegals are receiving from Right Side of the Rainbow
The impending collapse of emergency health care (http://www.rightrainbow.com/archives/000766.html - broken link)
Earlier this year, I had a patient -- an illegal alien from Mexico -- who came to my institution after his discharge from an acute care hospital for treatment of a traumatic. Before that, he'd been in the custody of the Texas prison system, following his conviction for a violent offense. I and my fellow Texans picked up the tab for his incarceration. But the cost of his acute care and subsequent rehabilitation was left uncompensated. I don't know the tally of his bill at the other institution; but at my facility, the average cost of care is $1800 a day. He was with us for 27 days.

Illegal Aliens Drive Another Hospital To Closure : Diggers Realm

Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so much for her reading comprehension.
and she says she prepares cases for court. i call for a review of all those cases!!!

The govt is always looking for a good rubber stamper!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The govt is always looking for a good rubber stamper!
Kudos. Obviously somebody didn't read the TOS re: personal attacks.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
U know what really makes me sick? People treating other people's money as an entitlement. Just about every ER is filled with those people now.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
especially when it is the truth huh.

I'd love to take my phone over to the er right now and film it. All you have to do is go around asking questions in english, then spanish about why they are in there.
Which further proves that the whining and the childish gotcha game ain't what it used to be. The numerous articles from states all over the US makes it more than obvious that it's not scapegoating, but simply the truth.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 01-28-2009 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
U know what really makes me sick? People treating other people's money as an entitlement. Just about every ER is filled with those people now.
It is indeed beyond sickening, it's totally disgusting.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
then maybe you should start a thread with that article...

oh wait you have. and that one died.

this article does not belong here.
This article does not belong here? Yes it does. There is nothing remotely amusing about the abuse of the American health care system by illegal aliens.

Let me tell you something Einstein, 25 years ago CA's emergency care system was the finest in the nation. Now it has been reduced to this.

Quote:
A national report card released last month by the American College of Emergency Physicians gave California a failing grade for access to emergency care. The state ranks last in emergency departments per capita, with only seven per 1 million people, compared with the national average of 20. And it ranks 43rd in the country for Medi-Cal reimbursement.

Jon Mark Hirshon, a Baltimore doctor who worked on the organization's report card task force, described California as "abysmal" when it comes to emergency medical care.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,7632115.story

Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
This article does not belong here? Yes it does. There is nothing remotely amusing about the abuse of the American health care system by illegal aliens.

Let me tell you something Einstein, 25 years ago CA's emergency care system was the finest in the nation. Now it has been reduced to this.

Emergency room doctors sue state of California - Los Angeles Times
You can offer your own opinions, but the article doesn't support any of that. It didn't even make mention the word immigration in it.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You can offer your own opinions, but the article doesn't support any of that. It didn't even make mention the word immigration in it.
Did you expect it to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration