Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 09:51 AM

349 posts, read 887,589 times

Advertisements

Here is the link:

http://www.nilc.org/ce/nonnilc/imm_eligibility_food_stmps_CA_2006-1-11.pdf (broken link)

This section here just amazes me (highlighted in blue), and perhaps could explain, in large part, why California is in such incredible debt.

And then, the section goes on to say that it's illegal for the government to discriminate (see red text)!!! Hahahahahaha. If a person is illegal, then what rights do they have here to sue OUR government? That's ridiculous!!!

I'm not a cruel person, yes, kids need things, but to provide for families that ought not be here when they're here by the millions is WRONG. And this is the official advice???

I am undocumented. Will I be reported to the immigration authorities if I apply for food stamps for my children?
The food stamps office only has to report you to the immigration authorities if it has proof (such as a final order of deportation) that you are in the country unlawfully. You should not tell anyone that you or someone in your family is undocumented. If you are not seeking food stamps for yourself, you do not need to give information about your immigration status, and should not present a false or invalid Social Security Number. But you will need to give information about your earnings or any property you may have, like a car. You should tell your food stamp worker that you are not trying to get benefits for yourself, and that you are not a “qualified” or “eligible” immigrant. “Not qualified” or “not eligible” is not the same as undocumented.

Remember, it is illegal for the government to treat you differently just because of the way you look or because you are from a particular country. Your caseworkers are not supposed to ask you any further questions about your immigration status once you tell them that you are not applying for food stamps for yourself. If you have questions, call one of the numbers below to find out how to get help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 AM

200 posts, read 349,708 times
This is aiding and abeting illegal aliens which a punishable crime. You can go to jail for 5 years and you can have your home, vehicle and personal possessions taken away from you. Plus, you'll have to pay a fine.

To read the full law type into your browser:

Law #: SECTION 8 USC 1324 (A)(1)(A)(iv)(B)(iii)

-----

Encourage your politicians to Vote "NO" on any Califorina Bailouts! California will begging us for bailout money very soon. I see no reason to give them a dime. Cheap labor cost them Billions!

The government needs to send the military to California and start deporting illegal aliens, ASAP!

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 01-30-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM

50,252 posts, read 47,011,154 times
That just blows me away.

What's that tired mantra? They are just looking for work? Doing jobs Americans won't? Is one of those jobs taking food stamps?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM

196 posts, read 628,702 times
Nice job on the sensationalist title, OP.

People, before you respond to this thread, be sure to read the contents of the link posted.

Quote:
Can immigrants get food stamps in California?

Yes. In California, “qualified” immigrants and a few other immigrants who meet the program’s
requirements can get food stamps. California’s program is available to these immigrants regardless of
when they entered the United States.
Quote:
Who is a qualified immigrant?

You are a “qualified” immigrant if you are a:
  • Lawful permanent resident (you have a green card)
  • Refugee, or were granted asylum or withholding of deportation/removal, or were paroled into the
  • U.S. for at least one year
  • Cuban or Haitian entrant
  • Battered spouse (or child), whose spouse (or parent) has filed a visa petition for you, or you have
  • filed a visa petition for yourself or an application for cancellation of removal under the Violence
  • Against Women Act. There are special rules for domestic violence survivors.
Quote:
I am not a “qualified” immigrant. Can I get food stamps?

Maybe. In addition to the groups listed above, the following immigrants can also receive food stamps:
  • Victims of “trafficking in persons” (e.g. sex trade or exploitive work conditions) or their derivative
  • beneficiaries (spouses and children of adult victims; spouses, parents, children and minor siblings
  • of child victims)
  • Lawfully present members of a Hmong or Laotian tribe that helped the U.S. during the Vietnam
  • War; their spouses, surviving spouses, and children
  • Lawful temporary residents (who applied for amnesty under the 1986 law)
  • American Indians born in Canada or other tribe members born outside the U.S.
Quote:
I am undocumented but my children are citizens. Can I get food stamps for them?

Yes. Even though you cannot get food stamps for yourself, you should be able to get food stamps for your children if they are U.S. citizens or eligible immigrants. Even if you or your family members can't get food stamps, you can still get school lunch and breakfast, WIC, and go to soup kitchens, community food banks, meals on wheels and other food programs.
Read in between the lines...

http://www.nilc.org/ce/nonnilc/imm_eligibility_food_stmps_CA_2006-1-11.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-30-2009, 04:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInExiles View Post
Nice job on the sensationalist title, OP.

People, before you respond to this thread, be sure to read the contents of the link posted.
[/list][/list]
Read in between the lines...

Any way you cut it, it's still outrageous, and needs to be stopped. An affront to the American people (and the people in CA) who go to work every day to pay taxes & support these freeloaders. I know a lot of hard working American's that don't qualify for food stamps. but could really use the help. I think it's about time we took care of our own.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:18 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
LivingInExiles, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, illegal aliens do not abide by our laws, and do in fact enjoy all of the benefits, notwithstanding immigration status. Moreover, the following restriction is a farce.

Quote:
I am undocumented but my children are citizens. Can I get food stamps for them?

Yes. Even though you cannot get food stamps for yourself, you should be able to get food stamps for your children if they are U.S. citizens or eligible immigrants. Even if you or your family members can't get food stamps, you can still get school lunch and breakfast, WIC, and go to soup kitchens, community food banks, meals on wheels and other food programs.
It’s not rocket science that a parent will shop with the food stamps ostensibly designated for a child, and will (along with others) partake of the food purchased. Of course, the more children one has, the greater the allotment of the food stamps. This is simply one of many abuses of tax-funded benefits.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

It’s not rocket science that a parent will shop with the food stamps ostensibly designated for a child, and will (along with others) partake of the food purchased. Of course, the more children one has, the greater the allotment of the food stamps. This is simply one of many abuses of tax-funded benefits.
You don't have much faith in human nature, I'm afraid. You sound ALMOST as cynical as my wife's sister, who's worked for years in the "School Lunch" program in LA County....and has story after story of extended families...men, women, infants, and 'abuelita'...showing up at the start of the school day for "breakfast", all on the 'tab' of their eligible third-grader.

Whether these folks are all "legal" or not (and I suspect one or two are not), it DOES say a lot about where the money goes...(yes, 'school lunch' often means breakfast as well.."can't learn on an empty stomach", after all).

Don't mean to sound TOTALLY negative, but according to my SIL, while the adults usually eat their portions, many of the 'eligibles' (the actual young students themselves) toss THEIR meals directly into the trash can, preferring to dine from the vending machines. No kid likes that "healthy" stuff..yuck!!

Can anyone spell "C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A"?....good! How about "B-A-N-K-R-U-P-T"?.....Good effort, kiddies !!! Time for lunch !!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
You don't have much faith in human nature, I'm afraid. You sound ALMOST as cynical as my wife's sister, who's worked for years in the "School Lunch" program in LA County....and has story after story of extended families...men, women, infants, and 'abuelita'...showing up at the start of the school day for "breakfast", all on the 'tab' of their eligible third-grader.

Whether these folks are all "legal" or not (and I suspect one or two are not), it DOES say a lot about where the money goes...(yes, 'school lunch' often means breakfast as well.."can't learn on an empty stomach", after all).

Don't mean to sound TOTALLY negative, but according to my SIL, while the adults usually eat their portions, many of the 'eligibles' (the actual young students themselves) toss THEIR meals directly into the trash can, preferring to dine from the vending machines. No kid likes that "healthy" stuff..yuck!!

Can anyone spell "C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A"?....good! How about "B-A-N-K-R-U-P-T"?.....Good effort, kiddies !!! Time for lunch !!
Now, don’t be too hard. It’s very possible that everyone (including grandma) is enrolled in classes at the school. To think otherwise, is simply mean-spirited and racist.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:45 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Now, don’t be too hard. It’s very possible that everyone (including grandma) is enrolled in classes at the school. To think otherwise, is simply mean-spirited and racist.
Of course grandma is enrolled in ESL night classes.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Of course grandma is enrolled in ESL night classes.
Exactly! How can she be expected to learn at night without a hearty breakfast and lunch. . . .and a paltry serving from the US-born child’s food stamp dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration