Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,287,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
By poisoning the public discourse with disinformation, right-wing talkers improve their ratings while leaving us far from fixing a broken system.
We hear the same stats, quotes, anecdotes, figures, claims about illegals all the time in this forum.
Sometimes, claims and stats that have been debunked over and over still make their way on here every now and then.
Many times, what "anti-illegals" say is something that has been repeated by people all over the internet..city-data, alipac, blogs, youtube, yahoo answers, the comment section of news stories involving Latinos in anyway etc.
Forgetting that hardcore "anti-illegals" seem to spend a lot more time on the internet researching and commenting on illegals, and you can probably see the same people all over the internet, I have come to a conclusion: maybe all these people with their "personal stories" and "facts" are getting them from a few same sources.

While I can't speak on the reputation and reliability of these sites, since I'm not too familiar with them, they provide an interesting read and perspective on the information being pumped out about illegal aliens, and the people that eat it up.

Right-Wing Media Using Immigration Debate to Mainstream Hate | Immigration | AlterNet

Quote:
But the patently false drain on the economy and social services are the least of the worries of the anti-immigrant crusaders: They also focus on the myriad of ways that undocumented workers threaten Americans with bodily harm.
Quote:
However, their statistics are twisted or misrepresented, as with their claim that a vastly disproportional number of U.S. federal prisoners are non-U.S. born -- about a quarter of the total.
Quote:
Another common myth of the potential harm that illegal immigrants pose to American life and limb is that undocumented immigrants are conduits for bringing diseases to U.S. shores.
The above article was based on the following study:
Fear and Loathing in Prime Time: Immigration Myths and Cable News

Quote:
When it comes to this issue, cable news overflows not just with vitriol, but also with a series of myths that feed viewers' resentment and fears, seemingly geared toward creating anti-immigrant hysteria
Before you guys get all angry and worked up like always, before you go in on your hang ups over using "immigrant" toward "illegals", before you shut your minds off, read these articles thoroughly. Consider the possibility that you might be being fed misinformation and propaganda.

Illegal immigration is an issue to deal with, but know the real reasons and know the real situation. Don't buy into extremist fear mongering, sensationalism, and propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,924 times
oh youre really asking for it now...

either way, to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
We hear the same stats, quotes, anecdotes, figures, claims about illegals all the time in this forum.
Sometimes, claims and stats that have been debunked over and over still make their way on here every now and then.
Many times, what "anti-illegals" say is something that has been repeated by people all over the internet..city-data, alipac, blogs, youtube, yahoo answers, the comment section of news stories involving Latinos in anyway etc.
Forgetting that hardcore "anti-illegals" seem to spend a lot more time on the internet researching and commenting on illegals, and you can probably see the same people all over the internet, I have come to a conclusion: maybe all these people with their "personal stories" and "facts" are getting them from a few same sources.

While I can't speak on the reputation and reliability of these sites, since I'm not too familiar with them, they provide an interesting read and perspective on the information being pumped out about illegal aliens, and the people that eat it up.

Right-Wing Media Using Immigration Debate to Mainstream Hate | Immigration | AlterNet

Before you guys get all angry and worked up like always, before you go in on your hang ups over using "immigrant" toward "illegals", before you shut your minds off, read these articles thoroughly. Consider the possibility that you might be being fed misinformation and propaganda.

Illegal immigration is an issue to deal with, but know the real reasons and know the real situation. Don't buy into extremist fear mongering, sensationalism, and propaganda.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,909,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
oh youre really asking for it now...

either way, to you
Man oh man, saying their news sources are not biased...talk about meat in the lion's den.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Apparently, they'd rather just ignore it, and avoid thinking for themselves.
It's not as fun without the sensationalism.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:18 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,479,925 times
Quote:
Apparently, they'd rather just ignore it, and avoid thinking for themselves.
It's not as fun without the sensationalism.
I have printed out both the AlterNet article and the MediaMatters article that is the source document. Together, that comes to about 30 pages. I am going to take the time to read both before I post anything. That is hardly an unreasonable stance.

PS. I am also cooking supper.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I have printed out both the AlterNet article and the MediaMatters article that is the source document. Together, that comes to about 30 pages. I am going to take the time to read both before I post anything. That is hardly an unreasonable stance.

PS. I am also cooking supper.
That's good. Hopefully you can consider the info..and hopefully others are looking it over too.

Although, I would've just read it online..30 pages sounds like a lot. You probably just spent half an ink cartridge on the second link's reference citations

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Does it even matter?

Illegal aliens need to leave the USA or risk being punished to the fullest extent of the law.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Does it even matter?

Illegal aliens need to leave the USA or risk being punished to the fullest extent of the law.

No ifs, ands, or buts.
If it leads to a rise in hate crimes against Latinos, and if you aren't as sincere as you pretend to be when you say how much you're "worried about that happening ",
then I guess it doesn't matter.
Why not make up or distort facts for our agendas?
Oh wait...

Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
If it leads to a rise in hate crimes against Latinos, and if you aren't as sincere as you pretend to be when you say how much you're "worried about that happening ",
then I guess it doesn't matter.
Why not make up or distort facts for our agendas?
Oh wait...
Why don't the mostly Mexican illegal aliens simply leave on their own volition? They are the ones smearing the reputation of Americans who appear to be Mestizo Hispanic or are of that background.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:

And we can exchange Pro-Illegal for Anti-Illegal for most of this post. You may have merit for many posters but many like me have a much closer experience with Illegal Aliens than I would like to. Identity theft, theft, breaking and entering and of course the nice wait in the ER are so enjoyable just so people that ran across the border can improve their lives at the expense of the average American like me. I don't like it one bit, I don't hire them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration