Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 PM

804 posts, read 1,361,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C H View Post
Agreed. Most illegals come here for economic reasons. The vast majority are poor people. White Latinos and Latinos with money, business', land have no reason to come here and stay.
Education.

I lived rather comfortably back at my country. I came here after I finished High School because there is no University that offered the Ph.D. program I wanted to go into in my country.

Opportunity.

Several of my friends who went to High School with me and are here also came from families, that lived comfortably. Not extraordinarily rich, but working people, like Middle/ Upper management. In this country, most of them have found the opportunity to practice professionally on the field of their choosing. As an example my parents have been here for about 9 years and now they own two very prosperous Jewelry stores, a business they started before fixing their immigration status. Both of my parents are MBA's, one of them used to be a VP of Marketing in a company and the other a CEO of a Postal company.

I do agree with you that in the vast majority come here for economic reasons, but, specially for people who doesn't cross the border, the ones that overstayed their visa, had a pretty comfortable, or at least above average life in the home country. But by coming, they ensure that their families will be able to go to college, open businesses and even send money back to help out the part of the family who is left back in their countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
like........?

I've seen nothing but the other. Please explain why Hospitals and ER rooms near the border have been closing in the last few years? This is the "primary care facility" for Illegal Aliens that are not supposed to be in this Country.

Other Cities like Chicago, far from the border, are feeling the pinch of Illegal Aliens and their ability to exploit programs meant for Americans.
Please forgive the source but I don't have time to find a more reliable one at the moment:

Immigrant workers of Minnesota without documents pay more than they get back! - Southside Pride

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,578,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Education.

I lived rather comfortably back at my country. I came here after I finished High School because there is no University that offered the Ph.D. program I wanted to go into in my country.

Opportunity.

Several of my friends who went to High School with me and are here also came from families, that lived comfortably. Not extraordinarily rich, but working people, like Middle/ Upper management. In this country, most of them have found the opportunity to practice professionally on the field of their choosing. As an example my parents have been here for about 9 years and now they own two very prosperous Jewelry stores, a business they started before fixing their immigration status. Both of my parents are MBA's, one of them used to be a VP of Marketing in a company and the other a CEO of a Postal company.

I do agree with you that in the vast majority come here for economic reasons, but, specially for people who doesn't cross the border, the ones that overstayed their visa, had a pretty comfortable, or at least above average life in the home country. But by coming, they ensure that their families will be able to go to college, open businesses and even send money back to help out the part of the family who is left back in their countries.
This country has become a free-for-all. I find it interesting that not ONCE did you mention they come here because they want to become an “American” and contribute to this country. This is simply a convenient place to exploit for personal gain. It’s all about what this country can do for YOU. Incredible.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:36 AM

291 posts, read 414,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Please forgive the source but I don't have time to find a more reliable one at the moment:

Immigrant workers of Minnesota without documents pay more than they get back! - Southside Pride
heres several sources to show what's going on, the last link, cra one day will go down in the history books as a large part of the housing collapse and a major part of the recession.

Center for Immigration Studies

The Dark Side Of Illegal Immigration

VDARE.com: 02/01/09 - The Minority Mortgage Meltdown (contd.): How The Community Reinvestment Act Fits In

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This country has become a free-for-all. I find it interesting that not ONCE did you mention they come here because they want to become an “American” and contribute to this country. This is simply a convenient place to exploit for personal gain. It’s all about what this country can do for YOU. Incredible.
I am not going to lie and say I came because I wanted to see what I can do for the U.S. or that even before coming here I aspired to be a U.S. citizen. I, of course did it for personal gain. My motivation is myself, and I think for most people is the same. The reason you start to work for a company it's not because you want to make a company that you have no ties to better, it's because you want to make yourself better. Then as you work in the company for some time, you begin to take pride in their products, try to make personal sacrifices by buying their products instead of other even though the other might have been cheaper. You became more and more proud of working for the company. Then you start buying their stock and investing on it because you trust it more, go to work more inspired because you start to see your contributions and your mark on their products. And latter on you realize that even though it was not initial intention at the begging you have made that company better and that you take pride being part of it.

The same evolution happens when you immigrate. At least it did to me. I'm at the point that the research I publish will be credited to U.S. institutions, the patents will likely be acquired by U.S. companies and they will make profits from them. Maybe one of my publications will lead to a product and I will start to see some of my work through the country.

Again, I will not lie by saying that when I first came here, my driving reason was to make the U.S., a country I was alien to, a better place.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickAndBroke View Post
heres several sources to show what's going on, the last link, cra one day will go down in the history books as a large part of the housing collapse and a major part of the recession.

Center for Immigration Studies

The Dark Side Of Illegal Immigration

VDARE.com: 02/01/09 - The Minority Mortgage Meltdown (contd.): How The Community Reinvestment Act Fits In
You peeked my curiosity with those links, yet on the second one on their main page they say if illegal aliens were not here:

"There would be no one to smuggle across our southern border the heroin, marijuana, cocaine, and methamphetamines, which plague the United States, reducing the U.S. supply of methamphetamines that day, by 80%."

I strongly think they take a big credibility hit by thinking that 80% of the supply of meth-amphetamines would just disappear if illegal aliens were not here. And I would like an explanation of how people, who come here illegally and do not want to get deported, regularly cross back to bring the drugs. And I think if they are referring to the people here waiting for the shipments and acting as contacts, then I would think that they would just get replaced.

I do have a tendency to take thing apart and sometimes they end up outside of context, but in this case, this statement is on their main page. And I think it greatly takes away their credibility

The third link was nice, It had a lot of information I had not seen before.

Last edited by Kellem; 05-20-2009 at 06:48 PM..

Old 05-20-2009, 08:28 PM

471 posts, read 587,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post

Reason #231 to STOP Chain Migration.

Your everything, from what Ive read in your post, that is wrong with our immigration system. You wish to exploit OUR welfare and education systems. For the gain of you and YOUR country men? I don't know if you realized it or not, especially the way it seem to the contrary, but the U.S. is a sovereign nation.

We do have a right to keep you out, to care for our own first. It IS your duty to put the U.S. first if you decide you want to be a citizen of our country. You don't just have the right to come here and abuse our systems.

Of course you obviously don't give a damn tho. The honor of being in this country and having the opportunities provided by it are just the same as an entry level bill paying job at Kinkos. You can decide if you like it or even appreciate it later. Like a test drive even...

What a disgrace.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:30 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,854,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post

Your everything, from what Ive read in your post, that is wrong with our immigration system. You wish to exploit OUR welfare and education systems. For the gain of you and YOUR country men? I don't know if you realized it or not, especially the way it seem to the contrary, but the U.S. is a sovereign nation.

We do have a right to keep you out, to care for our own first. It IS your duty to put the U.S. first if you decide you want to be a citizen of our country. You don't just have the right to come here and abuse our systems.

Of course you obviously don't give a damn tho. The honor of being in this country and having the opportunities provided by it are just the same as an entry level bill paying job at Kinkos. You can decide if you like it or even appreciate it later. Like a test drive even...

What a disgrace.
My goodness. If only people would read and understand this post.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post

What a disgrace.
As you stated.

Flip side: if an American decided to move to Mexico; he or she had best respect that nation's laws and customs-----------or else.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 PM

471 posts, read 587,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

Flip side: if an American decided to move to Mexico; he or she had best respect that nation's laws and customs-----------or else.
Of course...

Of course not get any where NEAR the government handouts that immigrants receive here either tho.

Its amazing really and the vast majority of Americans will never even notice or attempt to. They like the ending to all their social stories(immigration, health care, etc.) to have happy, "I can sleep better at night now," endings.

Ignorance is bliss my friends. For some...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration