Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,422,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Facts? Facts we can see every day like people harassing citizens in the parking lots of Home Depot,
Oh come on, the only people who are annoyed by that are control freaks. Big deal, so there's a bunch of guys loitering around the Home Depot parking lot. You know the only reason they are there is because people continue to contract them out for odds and ends. As soon as the demand stops, they will be gone, guaranteed.

Quote:
ten cars to an apartment in what used to be decent hoods,
I have white American born friends who hoard cars too, I'm talking one guy who has 6-10 cars at a time and usually only half of them run. Point being is you can't see this problem and automatically assume it is due to undocumented immigrants. Furthermore, yeah, it can be annoying, but as long as they are adhering to the rules of the apartment then it is really the fault of the apartment management that it makes the neighborhood look crappy, not the owner of the vehicles. If the apartment decides to place limits on the amount of cars each unit can have and enforce it then all it takes is a couple tows and the problem is gone.

Quote:
Er's closing
If this is indeed happening and soley based as a direct result of undocumented workers then yes, I have a problem with it. I'd appreciate cited examples because I have not heard of that happening at all where I live.

Quote:
hit and runs and other crime in the daily news section
Once again, I agree that hit and runs are terrible acts but please cite examples of where a significant percentage of these are caused by undocumented immigrants.

Quote:
schools jam packed with kids whose parents can't speak English.
Minneapolis schools have alot of students and teachers who don't speak English as their primary language. It creates greater challenges for the schools but there are effective programs in place to help the students adjust to the schools and most of the schools have bilingual staff members who are able to communicate with the parents. Of course there are sometimes additional costs involved with that.

Quote:
There is a lot "not to like" besides a cost benefit analysis and just on the fact that they are not supposed to be here it's hard to fathom why anyone would need facts to back up any claim.
So far the examples you've used are more of minor annoyances than anything else, comparable to a neighbor with a dog that barks alot or a pothole in the street. Yes, they are annoying but it would be difficult to justify stating that they severely lower your quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM

50,525 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Minor annoyances? You have got to be kidding. We are living this mess and it's not a "minor annoyance".

Go sit 11 hours in a local ER with your kid vomitting non-stop while the horde walks to the front, claim they can't speak English,don't have insurance and refuse to give a name. I've lived through that multiple times in the last 10 years.

Undocumented Immigrants' Childbirth Is Top Emergency Medicaid Expense - washingtonpost.com
Uninsured find a way | The San Diego Union-Tribune
FOXNews.com - L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Old 06-01-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Minor annoyances? You have got to be kidding. We are living this mess and it's not a "minor annoyance".

Go sit 11 hours in a local ER with your kid vomitting non-stop while the horde walks to the front, claim they can't speak English,don't have insurance and refuse to give a name. I've lived through that multiple times in the last 10 years.

Undocumented Immigrants' Childbirth Is Top Emergency Medicaid Expense - washingtonpost.com
Uninsured find a way | The San Diego Union-Tribune
FOXNews.com - L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
Right, that was the one complaint from your post I agreed with. But the fact that our healthcare system is a mess is nothing new. I completely agree that in the current system far too many people are getting free rides on healthcare while people like me and you are paying expensive premiums, deductibles, copays, etc. etc. We haven't had any ER closings in Minnesota that I'm aware of and my experiences of ER's and clinics in general here have been VERY good but it looks like there are some major issues in California and I acknowledge that.

However, as far as I'm concerned your other complaints have little merit.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Right, that was the one complaint from your post I agreed with. But the fact that our healthcare system is a mess is nothing new. I completely agree that in the current system far too many people are getting free rides on healthcare while people like me and you are paying expensive premiums, deductibles, copays, etc. etc. We haven't had any ER closings in Minnesota that I'm aware of and my experiences of ER's and clinics in general here have been VERY good but it looks like there are some major issues in California and I acknowledge that.

Try again:

Millions of illegal aliens here in the USA is a big problem--------especially in the worst recession since the Great Depression.

The above criminal losers need to leave or be deported ASAP and have their assets seized.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,594,820 times
Quote:
Oh come on, the only people who are annoyed by that are control freaks. Big deal, so there's a bunch of guys loitering around the Home Depot parking lot. You know the only reason they are there is because people continue to contract them out for odds and ends. As soon as the demand stops, they will be gone, guaranteed.
As a woman, I can tell you it is not a comfortable feeling to have 50 or more men of ANY race/ethnicity, or ANY immigration status, loitering in the parking lot of a store. They are no longer restricting their activities to the perimeter of the parking lots; they are approaching patrons as they enter and exit the stores. In my case, they approached me as I exited the store, and after I declined their offer, they followed me to my car. That was the last time I shopped at Home Depot. I give my business to Lowe’s, where I don’t have to encounter illegals “trying to survive.”

Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:

These are not specifically "my" complaints. They are our regions as a whole.

Parking problems.
Escondido tries to rid itself of undocumented immigrants

Hit and runs
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/05/12/news/inland/escondido/z8ff4a4e206edb934882575b4007ca91b.txt (broken link)

This is S Cal and not Minnesota so I would hope you wouldn't have to deal with a lot of the things we do being close to the border. These things are very real indeed here. You should be thankful you have yet to deal with this mess.

4 million people that pay little or no taxes. I'm living it as I see it every day at school. How can 4 million people not have an affect on the local schools? That is preposterous to think other wise. If it was in such grand shape why are we laying off teachers and slashing funds to programs Illegals had access to? Please explain?

Nearly three-quarters of the children of illegal immigrants are U.S. citizens by birth. In California, they consist of about 10% of students in kindergarten through 12th grade. The number of such mixed status families has rapidly grown, to 4 million in 2008 from 2.7 million in 2003, the study found
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...lifornia-.html

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 06-01-2009 at 10:28 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
As a woman, I can tell you it is not a comfortable feeling to have 50 or more men of ANY race/ethnicity, or ANY immigration status, loitering in the parking lot of a store. They are no longer restricting their activities to the perimeter of the parking lots; they are approaching patrons as they enter and exit the stores. In my case, they approached me as I exited the store, and after I declined their offer, they followed me to my car. That was the last time I shopped at Home Depot. I give my business to Lowe’s, where I don’t have to encounter illegals “trying to survive.”
Like I said, it is the people who continue to contract them out who are to blame. Stop contracting their services and they'll leave.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,376,246 times
Quote:

Speaking from experience since I have lived in Minnesota, the illegal problem in Minnesota compared to most parts of California is night and day. It has been my experience that most on this board who have posted saying they don't think what others on here complain about is that big of a deal don't have to deal with the situation to nearly the same degree.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Like I said, it is the people who continue to contract them out who are to blame. Stop contracting their services and they'll leave.
Most people don't have anything to do with the hiring of them. Why should the public have to deal with them? At least with vagrants we can have the Cops haul them off but now that we have two separate sets of laws here in America the average citizen is expected to put up with it.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Most people don't have anything to do with the hiring of them. Why should the public have to deal with them? At least with vagrants we can have the Cops haul them off but now that we have two separate sets of laws here in America the average citizen is expected to put up with it.
People obviously do it enough where the 50 people in the parking lot are getting enough work to get by. I saw this at the Home Depot in Van Nuys, CA. To me it was pretty strange since I had never seen anything like that before but it didn't really bother me at all. If I bought a bunch of building materials and left the store and they asked me if I needed help I'd kindly say no and be on my merry way. For whomever it is using their services it is probably a great convenience for them that they are able to get cheap labor so conveniently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration