Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,339,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Maybe, and only maybe, if this country wouldn't be saturated with people like you, then more professionals would learn another language...let's say....SPANISH (since half the population of this country will be Hispanic by 2100), then maybe those PUBLIC services will be faster.

PS. Hey, I am paying for your kid's education and I don't even have kids!! I want my money back, I am not a breeder.
Almost the entire world, esp. the post-industrial countries speak English. Why shouldn't the people living here speak English as well, primarily because it is already the dominant language? When I went to Amsterdam, I had an easier time communicating with people in English than I did in my home state. It's sad.

It's just ridiculous. I wouldn't move to France and refuse to learn French.

And I'm ok with non-breeders paying less property tax.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times
Quote:
Maybe, and only maybe, if this country wouldn't be saturated with people like you, then more professionals would learn another language...let's say....SPANISH (since half the population of this country will be Hispanic by 2100), then maybe those PUBLIC services will be faster.

PS. Hey, I am paying for your kid's education and I don't even have kids!! I want my money back, I am not a breeder.
If nothing else: the imploding birthrate within the 'Hispanic' community does not bode well for them being a major player here.

Besides: since being counted as a Latino is fast becoming 'tainted'--------------it would not surprise me to see the Hispanic/Latino classification enter the scrap heap of history with White looking ones reverting to Anglo and the Mestizos, etc. being assigned the 'Indian' classification.

As it is; illegal immigration is all but effectively cut off due to the dramatic increase in apprehensions along our southern border.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Almost the entire world, esp. the post-industrial countries speak English. Why shouldn't the people living here speak English as well, primarily because it is already the dominant language?

It's just ridiculous. I wouldn't move to France and refuse to learn French.
Very true.

As it is; Spanish is on a par with French: out of the countries/regions where they are dominant-----------both tongues are actually provincial whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 AM

15,884 posts, read 21,493,253 times
How do you know they weren't Mexican tourists?

Most everyone I met above a certain social class in Mexico City (and elsewhere in Mexico while I lived there) had been to Disneyland- and few spoke much English. Even if they DID speak English, they wouldn't speak it among their friends and family while in the States any more than I spoke Spanish to my American and British friends while walking around Mexico or Spain.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,339,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Very true.

As it is; Spanish is on a par with French: out of the countries/regions where they are dominant-----------both tongues are actually provincial whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.
I really think issues like this is where "being PC" gets out of hand. I'm ok with equal rights and everyone being treated fairly and all that, but there has to be some order, not every culture, language, can be dominant or have a dominant-type status. If that were to happen, it would be chaos. Can you imagine trying to become fluent in Chinese, Arabic and Spanish just so you can buy a pair of shoes? Life is already too crammed with stuff to do and learn as it is.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,702,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
lol, Europe and esp. South Africa are NOT having success with integration.
Really? Europe, most citizens speak several languages, Spain, has 4 official languages, South Africa, the most successful country in the African continent.

Back to the USA. The North East, fully integrated since before the US Civil War, the most successful area in this country. The South, still having problems with black folks, the most economically deprived area in the USA.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How do you know they weren't Mexican tourists?

Most everyone I met above a certain social class in Mexico City (and elsewhere in Mexico while I lived there) had been to Disneyland- and few spoke much English. Even if they DID speak English, they wouldn't speak it among their friends and family while in the States any more than I spoke Spanish to my American and British friends while walking around Mexico or Spain.
Needless to say: higher class people of any race/ethnicity/culture tend to not act like boors---------especially when out of country.

Those idiots to which ocexpo was referring too sound like your proverbial 'naco' class of Mexican.

Before anybody jumps down my through about using that word: we have a town here in Arizona named 'Naco'

Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM

15,884 posts, read 21,493,253 times
Quote:
Needless to say: higher class people of any race/ethnicity/culture tend to not act like boors---------especially when out of country.

Those idiots to which ocexpo was referring too sound like your proverbial 'naco' class of Mexican.

Before anybody jumps down my through about using that word: we have a town here in Arizona named 'Naco'

As an American who has spent the past year living and traveling in about 20 different countries across the world, trust me, boors know no class distinction. In particular with my experience in Mexico, it was the upper class people who tended to act lewdly and with no manners. The lower classes were forever shooing away leering businessmen and police officers from my study group.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,702,846 times
Quote:
Very true.

Don't let the French hear you say that! they truly have a problem with how the English language is eroding their romance tongue.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Don't let the French hear you say that! they truly have a problem with how the English language is eroding their romance tongue.
Oh well.

As it is; demographics are against the survival of French as even a second tier language plus the 'pissy' attitude about the Parisians concerning the Quebecois dialect, etc. does not help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration