Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
As an American who has spent the past year living and traveling in about 20 different countries across the world, trust me, boors know no class distinction. In particular with my experience in Mexico, it was the upper class people who tended to act lewdly and with no manners. The lower classes were forever shooing away leering businessmen and police officers from my study group.
If your info is accurate: that is yet another damning indictment against Mexican culture and why it needs to be stamped out here in the USA.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 AM

15,876 posts, read 21,472,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If your info is accurate: that is yet another damning indictment against Mexican culture and why it needs to be stamped out here in the USA.
At least their actions were heads and shoulders above that that I've seen of Americans (and, to a lesser extent, Aussies and Brits) when they weren't traveling in their own countries.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,337,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Really? Europe, most citizens speak several languages, Spain, has 4 official languages, South Africa, the most successful country in the African continent.

Back to the USA. The North East, fully integrated since before the US Civil War, the most successful area in this country. The South, still having problems with black folks, the most economically deprived area in the USA.
Yeah, but you mentioned "cultures and religions" in addition to language. Europe is having a problem with the Muslims who, like many Hispanics in the US, do NOT want learn the culture and language of the new country they've immigrated to. They want all the benefits of living among that culture, without actually immersing themselves within the culture.

As for South Africa, oh man, I don't even know where to begin. My advice is to pick up a copy of the economist. Prepare to be shocked. In the U.S. we rarely hear about the atrocities going on there.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:29 AM

448 posts, read 1,589,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I visited Disneyland on May 16th for the first time in 22 years (since I was a child). I have never been so irritated in my life as the day I went there. First off, the tickets cost $94. And when I got into the park, NOBODY spoke english. You would have thought this was Disneyland Mexico! It was utterly unbelievable. The people at the park were sooooo rude (mainly the ones that spoke only spanish)...trying to wedge their 20 kids in front of me and my niece, cutting, one married family man hit my wifes butt, and said "lo siento" and laughed. We got so many dirty and awkward looks from some people as if we were a strange breed in some foreign country.

I just couldn't believe how some of these families, who had 5+ kids, could afford to drop $500 on a trip to Disneyland. This park was, no joke, almost ALL spanish speakers (not just hispanics or other legal citizens whom I dont have a problem with, but people who literally spoke no english). I asked one of the older men (he worked as an information man) about it, and he said that Disney forces him to take classes at the local community college in order to learn spanish to cater to the almost 100% spanish speaking population at Disneyland, and that new employee's are almost required to speak spanish to be in serious contention for a job.

I was wondering if all parks in the Southwest and Texas are like this. I just didn't think these people, who speak no english and work extrememly low paying jobs, could afford to take a day at Disneyland.

Is there anyone else out there who has visited the Disney park recently and knows what I am talking about? It was the most miserable experience and I hope I don't ever return.
So what is really bothering you? Is it the fact that a family of five can afford to go to Disneyland. Do you think the Disney Corporate care about your feelings, not really and neither do I. All they care about is the green. Your green is the same color of that minority families green.

Get over yourself, you don't have to go to Disneyland anymore, believe me Disney is not caring.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,555,671 times
Amusement parks are overrated. I don't waste money going there anymore.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:11 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,996,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Hopefully then you won't be talking to yourself too much.

In case you've failed to notice, I'm not exactly trying to prove a point. I'm just asking why some people feel so threatened when other people converse among themselves in another language in a public place, especially a tourist trap, and more than that, why they believe that others owe it them to speak as they can understand. I haven't gotten any real answers to that question...just your disintegration into personal slams and quasi hysteria.

You must have flunked Spanish in high school or some such.
I think you've reduced the OP's post to a simplistic one-dimensional complaint...that he didn't like hearing Spanish spoken around him at Disneyland. But his post was much more than that, and most of us here are able to see that. Why can't you?

The OP's experience at Disneyland represented a microcosm of what life is starting to be like all over the U.S. Americans are watching our common language, culture and identity become diluted to the point where we no longer feel we're home. It's not just in Disneyland, it's everywhere. The Hispanic culture seems to be pervading the U.S. at a rapid rate, and this is largely due to illegal immigration and the huge number of illegal aliens living here.

All Americans alive today were born into our culture. We DID NOT commit atrocities and steal this country from anybody. Dozens of generations ago, our ancestors came here and did indeed commit atrocities toward the native people; however, that was over two centuries ago, and we had nothing to do with that. We have nothing to apologize for, and we owe the impoverished people of Mexico NOTHING.

Americans have every right to want to preserve our culture, language and national identity. But you seem to have a problem with that. So with regard to your perplexity as to why the OP would be upset about hearing so much Spanish spoken at Disneyland, just look at the bigger picture.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 05-28-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
So what is really bothering you? Is it the fact that a family of five can afford to go to Disneyland. Do you think the Disney Corporate care about your feelings, not really and neither do I. All they care about is the green. Your green is the same color of that minority families green.

Get over yourself, you don't have to go to Disneyland anymore, believe me Disney is not caring.
Try again;

The naco behavior of said Mexicans (one slapping his wife's butt and finding it funny) was what was bothering ocexpo.

And; the putative 'race card' cannot be used against ocexpo----------he is in part Hopi Indian.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,762,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
As an American who has spent the past year living and traveling in about 20 different countries across the world, trust me, boors know no class distinction. In particular with my experience in Mexico, it was the upper class people who tended to act lewdly and with no manners. The lower classes were forever shooing away leering businessmen and police officers from my study group.
Is it policially correct enough to say the educated middle class Mexicans are jerks but the poor illegals are great people who only have the best manners?

I haven't seen that myself. The educated middle class Mexicans who stay in Mexico to me seem like pretty good types, and so are most poor -- although you can sometimes go to an outdoor market and they might seem kind of loud. The hispanics that have lived many generations in the USA don't seem the same but they also seem pretty good.

To me it's the subgroup that has that huge sense of entitlement that comes from Mexico that has the worst attitude. The type that demands they be rewarded citizenship for breaking the laws of this country, who believe they must be given free health care, free college and whatever they want who are the most pushy and poor representatives for their country. Their kids are often even worse.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 AM

448 posts, read 1,589,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again;

The naco behavior of said Mexicans (one slapping his wife's butt and finding it funny) was what was bothering ocexpo.

And; the putative 'race card' cannot be used against ocexpo----------he is in part Hopi Indian.
Well then he needs to question his manhood, sorry brother but if a man disrespects my wife we going to get it on and not in a gentleman manner either.

I can't help him with his insecurities.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM

569 posts, read 1,670,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Is it policially correct enough to say the educated middle class Mexicans are jerks but the poor illegals are great people who only have the best manners?

I haven't seen that myself. The educated middle class Mexicans who stay in Mexico to me seem like pretty good types, and so are most poor -- although you can sometimes go to an outdoor market and they might seem kind of loud. The hispanics that have lived many generations in the USA don't seem the same but they also seem pretty good.

To me it's the subgroup that has that huge sense of entitlement that comes from Mexico that has the worst attitude. The type that demands they be rewarded citizenship for breaking the laws of this country, who believe they must be given free health care, free college and whatever they want who are the most pushy and poor representatives for their country. Their kids are often even worse.
I agree. The generations that came 20 or 30 years ago legally were hard working and had better morals and ethics. This new breed of compatriots is even giving the decent ones a bad name. They are nothing more than criminals and leeches laughing right in our faces. It makes me sick every time I go to a big box store and there they are with their 6 kids in tow acting all unruly and like they own the place. I think they forgot who originally paid to have their kids and who is paying for them to shop right now. It's amazing how soon they forget and want more and more for free.

This Disneyland thing makes me sick. The same thing is happening all over Florida as well. Totally selfish and unruly criminals. They are ruining a good thing for themselves because sooner or later there will be a backlash. No matter how many there are of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration