Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,853,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With plans to join the GOP primary with Gov. Rick Perry and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, state Rep. Leo Berman, R-Tyler, said today he wil announce as a candidate for governor the week of July 4.

"I want to run for governor because there's one major problem in this state that no one seems to be addressing, and in of fact they are completely avoiding it, and that was quite evident in this legislative session as well, and that's the question of illegal aliens in Texas."

Berman said undocumented workers and their families receive $600 million in health care and $6 billion in secondary education in Texas under federal mandates. Berman said he would uphold current law but also would like to work to overturn concepts such as "birthright citizenship." Berman said automatically giving the children citizenship when they are born to illegal immigrant parents in the United States is a an idea he would challenge before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Anti-illegal immigration lawmaker to run for governor | Texas Politics | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

It's amazing to realize that some people in the US have the balls to stand up against illegal aliens and their money-leeching actions.

Best of luck to Mr. Berman and hopefully, in the future, Texan Governor Berman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:24 AM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 911,643 times
If we stopped the Iraq and Afghan wars and cut the Defense Dept Budget in half, we could afford much more and improve the quality of life for all Americans.

It's amusing that Republican clowns like Rick Perry or Leo Berman will, in one soundbyte and in front of one audience, pound their fists and clamor for "WE'VE GOT TO RESTORE THE CONSTITUTION!!" and in another soundbyte or news report, like this one, argue that we need to change the Constitution....

Republicans, once and for all...is or isn't the Constution a timeless document or not?

Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 AM

807 posts, read 1,303,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
If we stopped the Iraq and Afghan wars and cut the Defense Dept Budget in half, we could afford much more and improve the quality of life for all Americans.

It's amusing that Republican clowns like Rick Perry or Leo Berman will, in one soundbyte and in front of one audience, pound their fists and clamor for "WE'VE GOT TO RESTORE THE CONSTITUTION!!" and in another soundbyte or news report, like this one, argue that we need to change the Constitution....

Republicans, once and for all...is or isn't the Constution a timeless document or not?
It's funny how you talk about improving the lives of the American people, what does this have to do with Illegal Aliens that are NOT American Citizens? Illegal Aliens are undercuting American citizens especially the poorest, most vulnerable citizens..

That said, living in California, and having been someone that has voted Democrat or Third Party my entire adult, I would support this OR any candidate that wants to protect our Southern Border, and protect America's Working poor and Taxpayers by ensuring that we cut benefits to Illegal Aliens..

Old 05-26-2009, 08:42 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
I just might have to vote for him in the primary. Go Berman!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 AM

804 posts, read 1,361,061 times
This is really good, we would get to see where Texas stands on the issue. If he doesn't make it past the primaries then it would be a resounding NO! even within republicans. If he does, and doesn't win the election, we will see that Texas does not agree with him.

This is really exciting, I hope I get to vote on that election.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:44 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,577,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This is really good, we would get to see where Texas stands on the issue. If he doesn't make it past the primaries then it would be a resounding NO! even within republicans. If he does, and doesn't win the election, we will see that Texas does not agree with him.

This is really exciting, I hope I get to vote on that election.
No, I’ll tell you what will happen. This man will be demonized as being a racist and anti-Mexican due to his anti-illegal stance. They will run him through the wringer the same as ANYONE who dares oppose this illegal invasion. Mark my words.

BTW, you can't vote in a Texas election unless you are a registered voter in that state. If I’m not mistaken, don’t you live in Michigan? Sorry, but it’s another one of those pesky laws we have in this country. Perhaps you can find a way to “bend it” while remaining within the law.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,478,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
BTW, you can't vote in a Texas election unless you are a registered voter in that state. If I’m not mistaken, don’t you live in Michigan? Sorry, but it’s another one of those pesky laws we have in this country. Perhaps you can find a way to “bend it” while remaining within the law.
Nice observation. It fits the theme of the illegal alien topic very well. People who think some laws are merely "pesky" and don't see the need to abide by them.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, I’ll tell you what will happen. This man will be demonized as being a racist and anti-Mexican due to his anti-illegal stance. They will run him through the wringer the same as ANYONE who dares oppose this illegal invasion. Mark my words.

I own a house in Texas, my main house as a matter of fact, where I claim residency (and my homestead exception). Since I'm a full-time student at an out of state institution, I'm not required to change my permanent residency to Michigan. My car's plates and registration are from Texas as so is my Drivers License. I have a several close friends who are lawyers or in law school, so I tend to have a easy way to get a consult so as not to break laws, ignorance is no defense. On this particular case I actually called the Michigan DMV to verify that my information regarding my registration and driver's license was accurate and they corroborated it.

The reason that I say I hope instead of I will is that I do not have a set date for when I will became a citizen so I don't know if I will be able to register on time to vote.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,069,742 times
Wow, I hope I'm home before that election takes place. I would vote for him in a heartbeat. It's about time someone took a stand against the US being ripped off by a bunch of losers. Their own country doesn't want them, why should we?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Nice observation. It fits the theme of the illegal alien topic very well. People who think some laws are merely "pesky" and don't see the need to abide by them.
Except in this case it seems to be a counter example, since I have gone out of my way to abide by them. Yet, I'm not an illegal alien.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration