Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times

Advertisements

So now if it’s revealed that a criminal is an illegal alien, the verdict can be reversed?

Quote:
A cement-hauling company is asking the Texas Supreme Court to toss out a $15.8 million verdict, arguing that jurors were improperly told that its gravel truck driver — involved in a 2002 accident that killed four members of a family — was an illegal immigrant.

Revealing the driver's immigration status was meant to inflame Fort Worth-area jurors with prejudicial, irrelevant information, TXI Transportation says.
The information "gave permission to this non-Hispanic jury to decide that the truck driver was responsible — not because he crossed the center line of the highway, but because he crossed the U.S.-Mexico border and was allowed to drive the truck," TXI's lawyer, Reagan Simpson, told the court during oral arguments in October.

Lawyers for the Hughes family, which lost members of four generations in the accident, said the immigration information was presented to show that the truck driver did not have a viable commercial driver's license and that TXI did not properly investigate its employee's driving record.

The judge in the TXI case said that it was, and jurors heard almost 80 references to driver Ricardo Rodriguez's crossing the border illegally, being deported and holding a falsified Social Security number.

For the Hughes family to keep its $15.8 million award, at least five of the Supreme Court's nine justices must find that Rodriguez's illegal status was relevant and not an appeal to racial prejudice.
Court asked to void $15.8 million award (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/26/0526court.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,851,852 times
Criminals trying to defend hiding the background of other criminals? What a great partnership.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:42 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Criminals trying to defend hiding the background of other criminals? What a great partnership.
Agreed I hate how many of our local gravel hauling companies have illegall DRIVERS on their fleet. It makes me feel sorry for all the people who are driving around them. I am not accusing them of being horrible drivers, but I rather have a safe driver, with a safe driving record behind the wheel of a 80000lb truck.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,975 times
How many people would like to bet that the criminals will win this case.... cause nobody wants to be called a "racist". Bahhh muddying the waters in my personal opinion. The guy drove across the yellow line and killed 4 people. Period. They hired him I am sure that they knew his legal status.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:26 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,570 times
Another way that Illegal Aliens have attained "Special Above the Law" Rights..

"Unfairly revealed to be an Illegal Alien" huh? Good one!!! Maybe someone that breaks into someone's house and shoots people should use the defense that he was "unfairly accused of trying to rob people".. Nice precedent set here!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:00 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarpunk View Post
Another way that Illegal Aliens have attained "Special Above the Law" Rights..

"Unfairly revealed to be an Illegal Alien" huh? Good one!!! Maybe someone that breaks into someone's house and shoots people should use the defense that he was "unfairly accused of trying to rob people".. Nice precedent set here!
not here in texas, if anyone ever tries to my house, they will be greated by my Ak47, M16, Mr Remington, and my newly accuired Tec9. and thats wheter tehy are Illegal or not.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:03 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
not here in texas, if anyone ever tries to my house, they will be greated by my Ak47, M16, Mr Remington, and my newly accuired Tec9. and thats wheter tehy are Illegal or not.
Yup, I miss Texas, here in Michigan you are not even allowed to carry a taser.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:07 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Yup, I miss Texas, here in Michigan you are not even allowed to carry a taser.
He didn't say he carries those firearms, he said he has them in his house.

As for the story, That cement company will hopefully be investigated for hiring illegals and put out of business.

The driver of the truck should be sent back where he came from and run over by a cement truck to bring home the justice for the family he killed while being here illegally, lying, having a false social security card and driving without a valid and rightfully gained drivers license.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:23 AM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
It's a complete double standard. What if this goon was here illegally from Ireland? Would they present the same case? Oh hell no.

ANOTHER PLAY ON THE RACE CARD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration