Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,508,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
When did illegals become concerned about breaking the law?
I think we have an excellent oxymoron here....an ILLEGAL who cares about following the LAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you have a list of the states where illegals are rewarded with DL's?
Well MD WAS the only state East of the Mississippi River to give illegals licenses. Now if illegals want licenses they have to head west.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Well MD WAS the only state East of the Mississippi River to give illegals licenses. Now if illegals want licenses they have to head west.
I just did a quick Google search, but couldn't find an actual list.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 PM

804 posts, read 1,363,366 times
Quote:
I think we have an excellent oxymoron here....an ILLEGAL who cares about following the LAW.
So because someone ran a stop sign, they shouldn't worry about any other (traffic) laws?

Being outside of the law is not a binary state (on/off). While they broke the law by being here illegally, I would think they would want to minimize the amount of laws they have to break in order to survive.

Or when you switch lanes without ran a stop sign (rolling stops don't count as stops you know), you say "screw it". I'm illegal anyway so I'm going to ignore all the laws from now on?

Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Also, I would think that as an illegal alien, an individual would drive extremely carefully. Since the consequences of getting pulled over for a traffic infraction can be substantially greater.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
So because someone ran a stop sign, they shouldn't worry about any other (traffic) laws?

Being outside of the law is not a binary state (on/off). While they broke the law by being here illegally, I would think they would want to minimize the amount of laws they have to break in order to survive.

Or when you switch lanes without ran a stop sign (rolling stops don't count as stops you know), you say "screw it". I'm illegal anyway so I'm going to ignore all the laws from now on?
Well, typically, those who like to break some laws also tend to break others.

I speed, but I don't run red lights or stop signs, so I'll concede a little on the traffic law comparison.

With that said, look at arrest records of different people who are arrested multiple times. Multiple arrests tend to be for a variety of crimes.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:20 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,223,976 times
Quote:

Try again: virtually everything an illegal does in the US is indeed a Felony.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Also, I would think that as an illegal alien, an individual would drive extremely carefully. Since the consequences of getting pulled over for a traffic infraction can be substantially greater.
I just love the word "can" in this sentence. We know "can" can't be replaced with "are." That "can" is actually a very rare occurence.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:26 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,606,331 times
Quote:
Yes, as evidenced by the ‘small’ number of deaths resulting from “careful” illegal alien drivers. Not to mention, the equally ‘small’ number of DUI’s.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Well, typically, those who like to break some laws also tend to break others.

I speed, but I don't run red lights or stop signs, so I'll concede a little on the traffic law comparison.

With that said, look at arrest records of different people who are arrested multiple times. Multiple arrests tend to be for a variety of crimes.

Now, for the traffic violation, if there was a device on your car that said that you have gone over the speed limit in your last trip (verification of being here illegally) and could only be read when you get stopped. Would you, or would you not be more careful about not being stopped? After all, not there is an added "motivation" for you not to get stopped.

I think this could be extrapolated to being here illegally, the punishment for running a light might have deportation added to it. So i would think that the individual would drive more carefully.

I think the highlighted area is very true, and they tend to escalate as well. But I think in this case, the not being caught part overpowers the tendency to break laws.

Another traffic example, I tend to drive much faster once it has been more than one year since I took my last driving course. Because i know i can dismiss a ticket. So, as the penalty of driving faster diminishes, my likeliness to drive faster increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration